It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
(female)

Mom4gm1en HB User
S/P laminectomy discectomy L5

Hi I'm new here so please beir with me. I had L5 laminectomy discectomy on Jan. 4,2013. I realize it's only been a month but seriously going crazy! What is the recovery period? I am a single mom of 4 and 1 grandson also I work 12 hour shifts as an RN in an emergency department. ( have been out of work since September 2, 2012) I try to do simple tasks but still unable to even tie my shoes or dress without issue! Any thoughts ideas?

Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: S/P laminectomy discectomy L5

Welcome to the board.

Could you elaborate on your current situation? What were your expectations at one month post surgery?

Some people bounce back fairly quickly. I know others you are still dealing with issues a year out. There is no generalized time frame that can be counted upon for guidance. It all depends on what the surgeon had to do, what he found when he count in there, the skill and experience of the surgeon, how quickly the patient heals, how well the patient follows the surgeon's instructions, etc.

I know some surgeons tell patients they will be fully recovered at six weeks....In my opinion that is a tad optimistic. It takes six months for the injured disc to recover to the point that it is "strong" again. Prior to then, it is more prone to reherniation. If your nursing duties involve having to lift or transfer a patient, you may not be able to return to work as quickly as you'd like.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
Mom4gm1en (02-03-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
(female)

Mom4gm1en HB User

Ok here's the long version. Hurt my back transferring a 355lb uncooperative pt from stretcher to ambulance stretcher. Paramedic didn't pull her weight nor hold her stretcher had to support pt from falling stretcher and twist to get help then back to complete transfer. Ended up with L5 disc herniation nerve entrapment and torn soaz. Soaz healed had full discectomy and laminectomy nerve was released. I guess I was expecting to be able to bend by now be more pain free more mobile light house work take care of my family etc. I have second follow up at end of month and want to get back to work then but now not so sure. I feel lazy but honestly just physically can't do much. Is this in the range of normal? Or do I just need a bigger bottle of suck it up and push through the pain?? Oh and surgeon highly skilled great recommendations and results.

Last edited by Mom4gm1en; 02-03-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

The end of the month is three weeks ago, and you can make a lot of progress in that time...but I personally don't see how you could return to your job if you're going to be expected to lift anything over about 30 pounds.

Your psoas muscle may be technically healed, but it could still be causing pain. I had psoas problems after one of my surgeries and it took months and months to get it to calm back down, and mine was just irritated. Most are taught that the psoas muscle's main function is as a hip flexor. But it also is very important as a messenger of the central nervous system as it is a core muscle that is very rich in nerves. It is integral to primary reflexes and neurological proprioception. The psoas is the bridge between the spine and the legs.

What you are experiencing is normal...or, at least not unusual or uncommon. This is not like having a sore muscle where you can push through the pain. In this case, pain is usually a warning sign that you have done too much. It is really important that you not try to rush things along. The body will heal at its own pace and there is little you can do to make things happen faster. What usually happens is the person ends up causing a major nerve flare that is difficult to get back under control, or the disc herniates or ruptures. Having had three surgeries (2 fusions) I feel it is better to err on the side of being careful and conservative rather than pushing and hoping one gets away with it.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
(female)

Mom4gm1en HB User

OK well thank you. Sorry about the spelling of psoas i generally try to spell medical terms phonetically unless i know to whom i am writing/texting. (less confusion). Yes the psoas is very important indeed. A lot of key core action. I will try to be more patient with myself and stop pushing it. But man is this hard. I take care of help people its what I do and who I am!
Thanks again at least I know this is not our of the realm of norm.

Closed Thread

Tags
discectomy, discectomy numbness spine surgery, laminectomy, return to work