It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
(female)

Alicia1218 HB User
ACDF c6-7 New Symptoms Post Op

Hello all,
I was wondering, has anyone experienced additional symptoms post op? I had ACDF on 12/18 due to a spinal cord compression (that was only there about 6 weeks prior) from a herniated disc. I have recovered the majority of the weakness and relieved the pain; however, since about two weeks after surgery I've had nerve issues. It started with both arms from the elbows down feeling like they were on fire and my upper arms felt like I had been lifting weights for hours (more so in the right, the affected arm). The burning has subsided, but the pins come and go and have been really strong the last couple days. The numbness in my index finger is still there and some days that feels like it is going to explode. Also, some days my "good hand" feels like it has numb spots and my fingertips are sore. I am getting depressed that these issues do not seem to be getting better. My doctor says that it takes time, but has anyone had these issues? When do the nerves settle down?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: ACDF c6-7 New Symptoms Post Op

[QUOTE=Alicia1218;5128008]Hello all,
I was wondering, has anyone experienced additional symptoms post op? I had ACDF on 12/18 due to a spinal cord compression (that was only there about 6 weeks prior) from a herniated disc. I have recovered the majority of the weakness and relieved the pain; however, since about two weeks after surgery I've had nerve issues. It started with both arms from the elbows down feeling like they were on fire and my upper arms felt like I had been lifting weights for hours (more so in the right, the affected arm). The burning has subsided, but the pins come and go and have been really strong the last couple days. The numbness in my index finger is still there and some days that feels like it is going to explode. Also, some days my "good hand" feels like it has numb spots and my fingertips are sore. I am getting depressed that these issues do not seem to be getting better. My doctor says that it takes time, but has anyone had these issues? When do the nerves settle down?[/QUOTE]

Dear alicia, I had lumbar laminectomies for nerve compression & waited 4 months before surgery. The radiating severe nerve symptoms subsided after surgical decompression but i had residual sciatica, pins& needles, numbness from swelling post op, the nerves coming back to life or healing & it took 6 months for most to go & at a year it was gone but for some inconsequential patchy numbness. I hope that you get better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
(female)

ag993 HB Userag993 HB Userag993 HB Userag993 HB User

Hi Alicia,
I had variety of weird nerve pain after my ACDF ( Aug 2012) very much as you described. Arm weakness, elbow pains, especially at night or upon waking, numbness in my hands. Painful wrists. BUT, it has subsided finally, unless I over use my neck by twisting it too much. So keep you mind positive that it's just nerves healing and it will end...
You are still very much in the early stages of recovery and it's a roller coaster of ups and downs. I am wishing you totally recovery!
Agw
Dystonia
Arthritis

Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
(female)

Alicia1218 HB User

Thank you so much for your replies! It is very confusing and discouraging at times!! Thanks again!

Reply Reply

Tags
acdf, burning, pins, post op, symptoms