It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
(female)

FERRARI123 HB User
Any suggestions... upper back pain

Hello Everyone ...I am new to this board but not to pain ...so long story short I have had this before ...my job requires me to sit at a computer all day and this is what I have been doing since I was in my 20's I am now 40 yrs..
So Friday night I felt pain and ache in upper back lft side but right side to not as much more on lft side ...the only thing I can think of that I did differently is I stretched to put some files away and I typed longer than usual without a break ...maybe bad posture ...well this lasted on and off and I still have it ...so last night I went to a walk in clinic doc said it was muscle and that it happens a lot to ppl who work on computers...but I just find that odd that after all this time now it is happening ..he also asked if I slept on 2 pillows and I said yes he said that can contribute to it ...now I also suffer from panic attacks so you can just imagine me thinking what the heck is this ...
In the last few months I have had the following tests done

ECG & HEART U/S - NORMAL (OCT)
COMPLETE B/W - NORMAL (jUNE )
UPPER GI U/S - NORMAL (OCT)
BLOOD PRESSURE - NORMAL

So any suggestions he said that if it didnt go away to go see my family dr which I have an appt with on Monday but in the mean time any suggestions as to what this can be and how to handle it.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Any suggestions ..upper back pain

This type of stress on the spine can be cumulative. Someone can get away with something for ages without a problem, and then suddenly, doing the same routine, pain suddenly develops.

It does sound muscular to me too...and this type of muscle pain can be very painful and take awhile to heal.

I would suggest you try icing your back. You can use a cold gel pack or a bag of frozen peas or corn...15-20 minutes per hour being careful to protect the skin. Some people get relief from alternating a heating pad and ice. If you tolerate NSAIDS, take the maximum dosage per day for several days to see if that helps. You may have a little inflammation going on and this should help.

Search online for upper back and shoulder stretches. You will find a whole variety of sites to choose from, including from fitness magazines, medical clinic, etc. If you look through several, you will notice that several of the stretches will be the same on all the sites. These are the ones that are probably safe to try.

Also I would suggest doing the following stretch on a regular basis (once or twice a day). Lie flat on the floor, on your back with your knees bent, feet flat on floor. Place arms close to your sides, palms facing up. Then just relax. Breathe slowly from the belly. Do this for a couple minutes, up to 5 minutes at a time.

This is a great for your posture and for your spine. It allows the discs to unload and if there are any muscles that are compensating, or holding stress, this position will allow them to relax and naturally realign.

You could also go to a therapeutic massage therapist or someone who practices body work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
(female)

FERRARI123 HB User

Thanks for the response it sometimes goes to my shoulder as well ...but I know I have bad posture I am trying to sit straight with shoulders back but that just makes it worse ...
Sometimes the pain is bad ...dont know what to do .

Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I would locate a good book or CD or something online that shows a comprehensive programs for stretching...and I would start doing them faithfully. It should have the added benefit of improving your posture.

Another option would be to locate someone who does bodywork, and get some help with your posture and tips on stretching.

Everything in the spine is interrelated. When one part is thrown off, it has an effect on other areas. The body naturally strives to remain in balance. When something goes off, opposite muscle groups work harder to try to compensate.

Good structural alignment begins with the feet and works its way up. If the "foundation" is off, there will be misalignment the rest of the way up, causing rotation in the pelvis, change in the curves of the spine, rounding of the shoulders, carrying the head too far forward, etc. Try to find someone to help you before your spine gets too much more out of alignment.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
(female)

FERRARI123 HB User
Re: Any suggestions... upper back pain

Thanks so much for your information and reply ...I will try to find someone in the mean time I will get up more from my desk and do some stretching ..it is brutal at times the pain is worse and then at times only an ache I cannot make sense of it ...

Very frustrating as I am sure you know and I am glad that someone out there knows what I am feeling or has had what I am feeling ...hard to explain.

Reply Reply