It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
(male)

capsdad HB Usercapsdad HB User
Microdiscectomy l5-s1

Just had it done Thursday. Holy ****! I honestly didn't know a human being was capable of being in such pain. After I woke up I felt like I was having a pa if attack from the pain. They gave me 4 percocets and 5 Valium to calm me down. I'm home now and sitting makes me feel like my tailbone is broken, laying makes my hips and butt cheeks feel like they're being pinched, I can't lay on my back cause of the incision and when I walk my thighs are barely able to hold me up. My calfs and shins and feet are all but numb and when my heels hit the ground I get a stabbing sharp pain in my butt cheek. Anyone else have this? I'm pretty worried.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Microdiscectomy l5-s1

Was this done out-patient or did you stay in the hospital overnight? Some people's pain is controlled more easily than others so I can't really say if what you are experiencing is typical. The surgery can be very painful. It all depends on the extent that a nerve was irritated.

Nerves become very angry when moved, touched, tugged on, etc. and they can take quite a long time to recover. This is true too when the nerve has been compressed.

Many surgeons restrict "sitting time" to 15-20 minutes at one session. Sitting puts 30% more stress on the spine than standing or lying down, so it is best to avoid during recovery, except for short periods.

Were you having pain in both legs prior to surgery? Were you numb before surgery? Probably you are just feeling the effects of the inflammation. You may find ice or a cold gel pack more helpful than pain pills. You can ice 15-20 minutes per hour round the clock, as needed. Just be sure to protect the skin and don't ice directly on top of the incision. Keep it to the sides.

Remember to take frequent short walks. This is the best way to stretch out the spinal nerves and to keep scar tissue from attaching to the nerves as it forms and fills in.

The first days are the worst. You should feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
(male)

My prob before surgery was I couldn't sit for 15 mins. I was supposed to be outpatient but it was more involved than they thought so I had to stay. I also lost my bowels after I woke up. But now I'm in pain worse than I can describe. I feel like my thighs and calls can't support me when I stand. An ice back on my back is very painful. I'm shaky all over. When I walk on my heel I get sharp pains in my butt. Laying down hurts more than sitting and sitting hurts. I'm afraid what I'm feeling isn't normal. I should say that I've had back pain for more than 10 years. It feels like my tailbone is broken and my hips hurt. I can't talk to the doc till Monday. He had surgery at another hospital so I could t see him after my procedure. I'm just really in a bad bad way now. Also the pain is so bad I feel like I'm having a panic attack. It's taking my breathe away

Last edited by capsdad; 02-09-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Does your surgeon have a partner who covers for him when he is away? I don't think going to the ER will get you very far, unless your pain is really uncontrolled, and even then you can't be sure they'll do anything.

Do you know what made the surgery so involved? There is the possibility that a fragment of the disc was not removed and is now pushing on a nerve. Are you still having bladder or bowel issues? If so, you may need to go to the ER.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
(male)

I can pee but it takes a while. I haven't had a bm since Wednesday. I'm afraid to sit on the toilet now. I'm hoping he just had to do Mysore than he thought and that's y I'm so bad. I just can't get comfy in any position. I fell real shaky too. My hands are shaking and I'm getting small whole body convulsions. Just scared right now

Old 02-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Be sure to take in lots of fluids, liquids and foods that are full of moisture, as pain meds are very constipating, particularly after anesthetic.

Do you have a recliner? Otherwise, you can prop yourself up in the bed using a variety of sizes of pillows. This should help to keep the pressure of the tender areas and the incision.

It is normal to feel weak after being anesthetized. It affects all the body systems, including hormones. This can account for the shakiness. Walking will help move the anesthetic through your body more quickly.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
(male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User
The pain can be horrible. I would call the surgeon to make sure there is not something he/she wants you to do.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #8
(male)

donc4523 HB User

- Capsdad
Sorry for all your discomfort. It is very painful
For me it gave new meaning for 10 on the pain scale..
Went thru the same thing with my urine and bowel sytoms, pretty back up an non copprative. About three days things started to move more normal. (doc gave me stool softner - the meds can really play havic
Teteri66 has got good advice...
Laying flat on your back - try keeping your knees propt up. I find being on my side with a pillow betwen my legs gives me more comfort.(I'm just over six weeks post-op and still find it hard to get comfortable)
Get up and walk that helps.
Stabbing sensation still there -but- Lessened up to degree.
Doc told me they had to brake/shave bone (Which causes alot of pain)
This can take time to heal (I'm finding alot more then original back to work in two week recovery and now the six to eight week recovery)
I was scared pre and post op - no one had ever cut into me for anything
Talk to your surgeon
Hang in there - Be positve
Don
L4-S1 Discetomy January 3rd 2013

Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
(male)

Thx. That helps. Laying flat on my back is the most painful for me. I have zero appetite either. I haven't taken the stool softener yet. I'm kinda afraid. I haven't pooped since Wednesday. I know it's time. I can't wait to talk to the doc tomorrow. I heard it take longer than they thought but I never got to see the doc and no one else had any real answers for me. Maybe I was still loopy but I swore I heard that I won't be able to start PT for 2 months. I do very heavy lifting jobs.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Take the stool softeners and force yourself to drink lots of water and juices. If your bowel becomes impacted, you will really have problems.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
(male)

Day 4 after the micro and the pain is intolerable. I found out there was some arthritis they found during surgery so it took longer than originally planned. Apparently after waking up from the surgery I lost my bowels on the table. Besides that I haven't had a bowel movement in 6 days. I've been taking my stool softeners and milk of magnesia and still no luck. Last night before I had a chance to talk to the doc I felt like I was having a panic attack and was told to go to the ER. Apparently whoever wrote out my scripts, wrote them wrong. I was taking more than double the Valium I should have been and a third less percocets than I should have been. The doc called today and fixed that. Background is I was on perc 7.5, 6-8 times a day for four months prior to surgery and after surgery they told me to take 3, 5 mg perc a day. I wasn't doing so good with that. Now I'm told I can't start PT for 8-10 weeks and could be out of work for 5 more months. This is more pain than I ever thought possible.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
(male)

pasko52 HB User

You should go to ER full stop, they can control the pain as this is needed. Your symptoms are not normal and clearly are not down to inflammation, as for doing numbers two's then after my microdisectomay I was constipated and it is not good to push too much so try and take some medicine to soften the know what. I really feel for you but if I was in your shoes I would be banging at the door of ER

Old 02-13-2013, 05:37 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

How are you doing by today? Did you talk with your surgeon?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
(male)

Just about a week post surgery and I can't sit down for 15 mins. It feels like someone is taking a hammer to my left butt bone. The cheeks don't really hurt but the bone is quite painful. I get up and walk around the house but my thighs and calves are still shaky. Anyone else have/had this? Should it go away soon? They did find arthritis in my back and the surgery took a good bit longer than they thought. I'm told I can't start PT for 8-10 weeks. What happens if I'm told I can't return to my type of work?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm not sure what your expectations were for a post-surgical experience...but most people still have pain one week out from surgery. Most surgeons don't want their patients sitting for more than 15 minutes at a time. Are you using ice or a cold gel pack to help with the pain and inflammation?

It can take a week or more to get the anesthetic out of the body, and even then, you may still have some strange symptoms -- anesthetic affects all the systems and hormones as well. Some people have a harder time with this than others. Some people's bodies react from the shock of surgery by feeling very weak and unsteady...shaky, etc. This should begin to go away soon.

Be sure to drink lots of fluids and take short, frequent walks. This will help to clear out the anesthetic.

Closed Thread