It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
(female)

Helen6090 HB UserHelen6090 HB User
Unhappy Help please I am in total agony

Hi I went to the Hospital today for my steroid injection only to be told I have to wait another 2-3 months. Stupid Irish health system and I have some Physio sorted out for a few weeks. The Doctor examined me and lifted my legs up and bent them forward etc now I have the worst continuous pain in my foot and I can't even walk on it. Can anyone please help me I can't go like this all night, I've had this feeling before but it usually goes after a few minutes but it's over 2 hours and it's excruciating. What can I do to ease the pain

Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Help please I am in total agony

Hi, so sorry you got postponed. I would try ice for 20 min every hour don't forget to wrap in a towel. Hope it feels better soon. Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

[QUOTE=Helen6090;5131757]Hi I went to the Hospital today for my steroid injection only to be told I have to wait another 2-3 months. Stupid Irish health system and I have some Physio sorted out for a few weeks. The Doctor examined me and lifted my legs up and bent them forward etc now I have the worst continuous pain in my foot and I can't even walk on it. Can anyone please help me I can't go like this all night, I've had this feeling before but it usually goes after a few minutes but it's over 2 hours and it's excruciating. What can I do to ease the pain[/QUOTE]

Helen, I think that if you insist on having a repeat MRI now because your other is from aug? Oct? Maybe when they ask why you can say because im so much worse now & things have changed & not for the better. All they can do is say no but it may put a rush on the ESI or a new MRI may reveal more as they are only as good as the radiologist reading them. Also, is there any way to request a neurosurgeon? So sorry that this has happened but remember in whatever country the squeaky wheel gets the grease! Oh, also ice helps some but for me a long, hot soaking bath sometimes, no most times works as good as medicine. And while you are in physio definitely ask for a TENS unit. Some say it doesnt work but i have worn out 5 over the years! Have you
ever looked @ a dermatome map? I find it interesting & helpful as it shows which areas of the body are innervated by which spinal nerve & @ what level. I.e. L4 &5 go to your toes.

Last edited by gmak; 02-11-2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typos info

Old 02-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
(female)

Thankfully the pain has died down and I can walk around again. My disc problem is l2/l3 but most of my pain starts in my bottom and down to my toes. It used to go as far as my calf but just goes straight to my ties now. Where the disc herniation is I get a feeling like I've been booted in the back. I will ask the doctor when I see him next about another MRI. I am going to my own GP tomorrow for more tablets I am so fed up with everything now and find it hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel

Old 02-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi not sure if you can get it but since you didn't get your injection maybe your GP will give you a medrol dose pack (steroid pills) to see if it will calm it down a bit. Also I get these patches "flector" they are NSAID that get in your blood stream you can put directly on lumbar area. They are prescription here. Ask for those too. . Cathy

Old 02-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

[QUOTE=Helen6090;5131827]Thankfully the pain has died down and I can walk around again. My disc problem is l2/l3 but most of my pain starts in my bottom and down to my toes. It used to go as far as my calf but just goes straight to my ties now. Where the disc herniation is I get a feeling like I've been booted in the back. I will ask the doctor when I see him next about another MRI. I am going to my own GP tomorrow for more tablets I am so fed up with everything now and find it hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel[/QUOTE]

Dear helen, On a dermatome map which can be looked up very easily, the little toe is innervated by S1 nerve, three middle toes & inside of big toe by L5 & outside half of big toe is L4 you can check to see which other areas of calf & thigh areas are also controlled by which lumbar nerves before you see gp tomorrow. Im so glad that you are out of extreme agony & hope that you sleep well.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi I was looking back at all out posts and you said you are having pain down down your legs right? Have you tried any nerve pain medications like neurontin, lyrica? It will help with that if one doesn't work then try another and on all those types of meds you want to start at a low dose to help avoid side effects. Cathy

Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
(female)

[QUOTE=no34evr;5135754]Hi I was looking back at all out posts and you said you are having pain down down your legs right? Have you tried any nerve pain medications like neurontin, lyrica? It will help with that if one doesn't work then try another and on all those types of meds you want to start at a low dose to help avoid side effects. Cathy[/QUOTE]

Cathy I tried Lyrica just after I had the accident but it made me feel dreadful I couldnt cope with the feeling. I was taking along with Tramadol so I tried them on their own and u still felt bad so I had to stop taking them.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=Helen6090;5135819]Cathy I tried Lyrica just after I had the accident but it made me feel dreadful I couldnt cope with the feeling. I was taking along with Tramadol so I tried them on their own and u still felt bad so I had to stop taking them.[/QUOTE]

Don't give up if one doesn't work out, there's topomax too cathy

Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
(female)

shelsers75 HB Usershelsers75 HB Usershelsers75 HB User

Hi helen, i havnt posted in a long time had no laptop for nearly a year but iv just got a new one. im also from ireland and have chronic back and leg pain over 10 yrs, im 37 now. this is only a quick reply have to get the kids to school i know how hard the irish system is, i had back surgery in oct. i see you tried lyrica and it didnt agree with you, same here but i tried ampytriptiline and it did ease my symptoms, i also tried neurontin and they helped too. main side effect was heavy sleep and because i have 2 small kids i came off them, so its worth asking your gp about these. i have to log off now but feel free to ask any questions, il check in again later. take care, shelsers

Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
(female)

Hi Shelsers, i feel I've tried loads of tablets since the accident. I'm fed up with all this pill popping and to be honest I don't think they help that much. I'm hoping the Physio will help me. The doctor at the Hospital said I'm on the strongest tablets I can have. I wish I could be normal again this accident has put a strain on everything and I'm looking forward to the future when I will be well again. I have to be positive because if I don't I'll just cry

Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

[QUOTE=Helen6090;5136836]Hi Shelsers, i feel I've tried loads of tablets since the accident. I'm fed up with all this pill popping and to be honest I don't think they help that much. I'm hoping the Physio will help me. The doctor at the Hospital said I'm on the strongest tablets I can have. I wish I could be normal again this accident has put a strain on everything and I'm looking forward to the future when I will be well again. I have to be positive because if I don't I'll just cry[/QUOTE]

Hi helen, Im so sorry that you are still waiting, hurting so! Once, i remember that you were taking codeine, is that still what you are taking for pain? Im not familiar with the medications there but is codeine what the dr said is the strongest? I would ask @ physio to try TENS & do they have long acting, timed release narcotics there? And, what muscle relaxer do you take?

Old 02-23-2013, 03:29 AM   #13
(female)

[QUOTE=gmak;5136853]Hi helen, Im so sorry that you are still waiting, hurting so! Once, i remember that you were taking codeine, is that still what you are taking for pain? Im not familiar with the medications there but is codeine what the dr said is the strongest? I would ask @ physio to try TENS & do they have long acting, timed release narcotics there? And, what muscle relaxer do you take?[/QUOTE]

Hi I take Solpadol which is the pain relief they can become very addictive and Arcoxia is the Anti inflammatory. I will speak to the Physio on Thursday morning to see if she can suggest something else. Until then I will just keep taking the tablets and try and get through the day

Closed Thread