It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Microdisectomy

My 24 year old son just had a l-5 S-1 microdisectomy today. The surgeon said that the nerve root was very inflamed and angry but once he removed the herniated part of the disc, the nerve root immediately looked normal. Now my son has a lot of post surgical pain but for the first time in 7 months he does not seem to have sciattica. How many days does it take before you are able to manage at home without needing someone with you 24/7? My husband and I are trying to figure out how long we will need to take off from work

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Microdisectomy

I guess you know your son better than anyone, and will know how stoic he is or, conversely, how much he is affected by pain....but, in general I would think a week would be the outside limit for a microdiscectomy...and maybe just three or four days. After that, he may still have some residual pain, but he should be able to take care of himself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Thanks for your response. My son typically has a high threshold to pain. He refuses to take any pain meds....Go figure. He is just icing and taking periodic short walks. He is definitely not feeling great today but the sciatica seems to be gone. He is just feeling post surgical pain now.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
(female)

twin25 HB User

Just had this done at the same area 6 weeks ago. The day of surgery I was amazed at how well I felt. Day 2, I thought I was going to DIE! Day 3 was some better and by day 4 I was much better. My husband stayed home with me Fri, Sat and Sun and returned to work on Mon. (Surg was Thurs) and I was fine by myself! Good luck...oh did I mention I am a cry baby when it comes to pain! Biggest 34 yo baby ever! lol

Closed Thread