It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

MeganY24 HB User
Crazy muscle pain/cramps/spasms that get worse when laying down???

Hello my fellow sufferers! I'm looking for insight while awaiting the results of my MRI. Ill start off by saying my theory is that I have nerve damage from receiving spinal blocks with each of my four c-sections. Anyways, my back has killed me since the birth of my youngest (and last) baby 7 months ago. I've had an X-ray done but the only finding was mild scoliosis. For the past few weeks my pain has been so strong that vicodin doesn't even help and I've also developed new alarming symptoms.
On march 2nd I woke up with an odd cramp in the back of my right thigh. It wasn't painful, just confusing because I knew there was no way that I had pulled a muscle. That cramp never went away and by the afternoon my whole leg went completely numb while I was walking. I drug my leg over to the couch and I got enough feeling back to walk again but I had pins and needles from my upper thigh to the tips of my toes for the rest of the night. It finally started to lighten up by bedtime but when I laid down it came back with a vengeance. It felt like someone had a blow torch to the back of my thigh. I ended up sleeping with my leg hanging off the bed. The next morning it was completely gone.
Five days later I started getting a familiar cramping feeling in the same leg, only this time it started around my knee. Imagine wrapping an ace bandage around you knee as tight as possible. It eventually spread up my thigh and down my calf and the pins and needles were on going all day long. Yet again within 30 of getting in bed my leg was on fire, so I slept half on the bed half off the bed and by morning it was gone.
I ruled out DVT with an ultrasound. I ruled out stroke with a CT scan. I ruled out MS with bloodwork. If there isn't SOMETHING on my MRI I'm worried my family will check me into the mental ward.
And I'm on day 2 of the worlds worst back spasm. It started out as one sore spot right around my T-10 and escalated into 75% of my back in an uncomfortable knot. And of course it's 10x's worse when I lay down, like I'm laying on a bed of burning hot rocks.
Everything I read about sciatica and disc problems say they should get better when you lay down. Has anyone been through anything similar or have any advice for me???

The following user gives a hug of support to MeganY24:
MissChrissy (03-15-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User
Re: Crazy muscle pain/cramps/spasms that get worse when laying down???

After I had my last child (8 years ago) I started working out... Was fine up until last Summer when my low back began as a pinch down by my L5 disc. Then it got worse. I couldn't even walk. My sciatic nerve was being pinched too... but it was more like someone took a bat to my low back. Not just some muscle pain but like I really tore something. I basically did my own therapy which was lay down with ice (on an air mattress) for 20 minutes. Then I would get up and try to walk... I would walk around the house until the pain got bad then I would lay down. I did this all day for a week.. taking ibuprofen, up to 2500 mg a day and muscle relaxers. THE KEY is to MOVE if you can. Your back only gets worse if you lay around the whole time. It's so frustrating I KNOW!!

In December this happened to me ALL over again. I finally went to a Chiropractor and at the time I was not hopeful. I thought "what can he do?" -- BOY has that HELPED IMMENSELY! I had x rays done. I have scoliosis too- and my pelvis is tilted. My left side is 8 mm higher than my right. If I had not gone, I seriously would've been in worse shape in the near future. I have to modify my exercises but walking is good. Walking is ALWAYS good. I got a heel lift too. Not sure if you have a tilted pelvis with the scoliosis but you should find out. Sciatic pain is horrible, so I understand your pain. If you are feeling any numbness you should see a chiropractor. I don't know how you feel about that, but I know two women who had surgeries on their discs in their backs only to have them flare up again and slip. Chiros are expensive, I can't afford them. Thankfully my mom is paying for this one, but in the future I am going to have to find a way to continue seeing one. The treatments I have been doing with mine has helped so much. Physio of course would be great--if you can do that. It sounds to me like a nerve/disc problem and the only advice I can give you is to see a Chiropractor or Physical Therapist. I don't know if your insurance will cover that- if so that is GREAT! You definitely need treatment for this and most doctors will just throw muscle relaxers or meds at you and say go home and rest. With the Chiro or P.T you will also be shown stretches to do at home. Right now since they don't know exactly what is triggering it (unless the MRI showed it) you shouldn't try any stretches, but I would encourage you to move around when you can. I hope that helps!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mandolyn For This Useful Post:
MissChrissy (03-15-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Also, Chiros and P.T's are great with nerve pain, but I recommend a Chiro for that. My sciatic pain was GONE after the first week of seeing him 3x that week.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I personally would not let a chiropractor treat my spine until I knew there was no instability and no nerve issues. Too many people end up worse off than when they walked in the door. Some chiropractors know the limitations of their training, but others insist they can "fix" any back problem, often to the detriment of the patient.

What you are describing in your thigh sounds like the beginning of a disc problem. With the lower lumbar discs it often feels like a bad muscle pull or cramp that keeps aching. Eventually the symptoms start changing....

Be sure to get a copy of the MRI and the radiology report. It is convenient to begin a file and keep copies of these tests and reports for future reference.

Try icing the area over your lower lumbar spine several times a day. There may be a little inflammation that is putting pressure on a spinal nerve.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
(female)

jocelyn7035 HB User

Muscle cramp is nothing but the contraction of the muscle fiber. It can be caused to any of the muscle. Muscle cramps can be controlled by moderate stretching of the cramped muscle. If cramps are felt in the hands then it can be controlled by the pressing the hands to a flat surface, if in the feet or toes this can be done by simply walking and standing. As you feel it while sitting and sleeping you must learn some of the specific stretches that are applicable for muscles before sleeping. Keep your body well hydrated and make the inclusion of vitamin and minerals. I hope this helps you.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Smile Re: Crazy muscle pain/cramps/spasms that get worse when laying down???

Megan-- you still there? Have you found anything to help, or answers? Let us know!

Old 03-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
(female)

MeganY24 HB User

I don't think I'm having the same kind of cramps. Mine feel more like phantom muscle strains. I know there's a medical term for it but I can't think of it. My leg cramps stay all day. I actually found a neuromuscular disease that fits all of my symptoms but ill wait on my MRI results before I start diagnosing myself with neurological disorders, lol. I found a website on palpitating your peripheral nerves and I seem to have nerve entrapments everywhere possible. That's not normal right?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Megan, what exactly is going on? Name ALL your symptoms. I know most of it is nerve related...Did you have the MRI on the leg?

Do you have unusual periods or any other symptoms, anything involving bladder or stomach? If you are fine everywhere else then I am sure something is pressing on your nerve which an MRI should show. I hope you get the results soon!!

Old 03-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
(female)

MeganY24 HB User

I have a 7 month of baby that I'm breastfeeding so I still don't have a monthly cycle to monitor but I have a constant tingling and buzzing in both hands and feet, my muscles ache all the time like I just ran a marathon even though I never overwork myself and my bones constantly throb. My RA factor was negative (it was 11 and the cut of is 13). I have no energy regardless of how much sleep or caffeine I get. And I've been having the worlds worst pounding headaches that get worse when I lay down, it feels like my pillow turns into a rock. My hands get cramped up and "stuck" anytime I hold my phone for more than a minute and I feel incredibly weak like I'm wearing an invisible suit of lead all the time. I'm just scared because I've never had any health problems what so ever and now it feels like I'm dying and wasting away.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
(female)

MeganY24 HB User

And every morning I wake up feeling hungover and dizzy, and my feet hurt like crazy until i walk around for a few minutes. The balls of my feet and my big toe feel like they are going to explode. It sounds completely crazy, I know. Oh and I get random stabbing pains all over my body.

The following user gives a hug of support to MeganY24:
Mandolyn (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Hm, it sounds like it could be fibromyalgia which docs can give you meds for. But with the breastfeeding they would definitely have to be sure you can take them. The tingling and buzzing I get that in my left foot everyday at night... but its mild and goes away. It's like a buzzing, vibrating type of feel kind of. I think it has to do with the nerves in my back too. It must be nerve related as you said. While you wait for the results of the MRI, I would go to your nearest drugstore/pharmacy like Rite Aid or Walgreens and ask them where you can find "Hylands nerve tonic" -- it is ALL NATURAL. And many people swear by it. I use the Hylands leg cramps at night and so far I have had rested sleep using it, as that is why my legs get worse is in my sleep. The nerve tonic I have never tried, but I don't have a lot of nerve pain right now. You could try it and see if it helps!!

With muscles aching constantly -- that describes fibromyalgia, which can definitely be treated. Hylands has lots of different natural supplements that treat that as well. Safest thing to to take while breastfeeding as there is no medicine in it-- all natural substances.

Last edited by Mandolyn; 03-16-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
(female)

MeganY24 HB User

I just did a self exam and I don't have any tender points. I would actually welcome a deep tissue massage right now. From what I understand fibro isn't a final diagnosis, more like a condition of symptoms of an undiagnosed issue. A lot of the symptoms sound familiar but if you read any of the symptoms of nerve disorders they all have more or less the same symptoms. I did try a sample box of lyrica though, it did help but I felt like I had been out at the bar all night.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

try the hylands nerve tonic. you never know! i usually take 3 pills before bed of the leg cramp one, the maximum dose and it seems to help. i am curious to know if the nerve tonic would help that.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
(female)

atgirl HB User

[QUOTE=MeganY24;5147738]I just did a self exam and I don't have any tender points. I would actually welcome a deep tissue massage right now. From what I understand fibro isn't a final diagnosis, more like a condition of symptoms of an undiagnosed issue. A lot of the symptoms sound familiar but if you read any of the symptoms of nerve disorders they all have more or less the same symptoms. I did try a sample box of lyrica though, it did help but I felt like I had been out at the bar all night.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you may have arachnoiditis. Not to jump the gun. But please read about it. Type it into Google. Your symptoms match completely.. and you had the spinal blocks- that is a main cause of arachnoiditis. I hope to GOD you do not have it but it's worth checking into it! Best of luck!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear megan, While epidural anesthesia can be a cause of arachnoiditis, the main cause is if a foreign substance like myelogram dye, blood, an epidural steroid injs goes intradural, a foreign substance gets into spinal canal or thecal sac, into CSF & spinal nerves begin to become inflamed & swell, scar together. Diagnosis is made by MRI, when the radiologists report states the phrase "clumping of nerve roots" or peripheral clumping of nerve roots" & then history of symptoms, procedures & a neuro exam. No dr told me for years that i had arachnoiditis so please obtain a copy of the disk & radiologists report. I have arach & have some of the same symptoms but the vibrating, balls of feet & toes neuropathy was worsened in my case by baclofen or zanaflex, not sure which one but the " buzzing, vibrating" stopped when i stopped both of those per my drs order. Also, i have had headaches that are worse by laying down but my dr diagnosed migraines & prescribed Prodrin that helps me tremendouslyI truly hope that you find the answer & that it is not adhesive arachnoiditis!

Last edited by gmak; 03-17-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: quick reply

Closed Thread