It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #61
(male)

CharliePA HB User
Re: Back surgery gone bad

I thank you all for the support . I was with Melissa early this morning and all hell broke loose. I was talking to her and her face went blank and grey, I saw that look on a few friends faces during the Gulf war and am still haunted by it. Within literally 10 minutes her blood pressure went to 210 over 120, her temperature was 103.1 and her heart rate shot up to 150. No matter what the respiratory therapist did her o2 sat wouldn't go over 78 percent. After the paramedics got her to the nearest hospital and the doctors got her stabilised they admitted her into the ICU. She has C diff, colitis and pneumonia. She also has a blood clot in each arm. I gotta go get some sleep. I'm drained and tomorrow looks like it's going to be a rough one, more tests to take. Someone at the hospital told me today that God only puts on your shoulders what he knows you can carry. During your prayers please tell him I get the point and could use a little help carrying this cross. See you and I will keep you all posted.

The following 5 users give hugs of support to: CharliePA
charlie6017 (05-31-2013), Feather822 (05-30-2013), gmak (05-30-2013), Stupid feet (05-30-2013), teteri66 (06-01-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #62
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Oh no so sorry, extra prayers today! Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #63
Veteran
(female)

CT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB User

Wow. She must have caught those things at the hospital. Hopefully she will respond rapidly to treatment!

You are so right about that cross being heavy right now. What an ordeal. We are all praying that things will lighten up for your family.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #64
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hey I was thinking and this is because my mom's gastro dr recommended it. Once they get rid of that c. Diff see if you can get them to put her on a probiotic to keep those bad bacteria at bay.
My mom is 96. Its probably from all the antibiotics she was given before it killed off the good bacteria and allowed the c. Diff to grow.

Cathy

Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #65
(female)

Thordownunder HB UserThordownunder HB User

Hey sorry if that was me - it's in the patron saint stuff - don't know if I believe it either - think we all get the heavy cross stuff by now. I had a really good friend who was a quad, and know what a toll it took on his family. Don't know how they coped, well actually do and not very well sometimes. In Australia there was no respite care and I know you're not at that stage yet but we lobbied for extra care and got it.

The person who said ministers can be really helpful is right. My sister was dying of cancer and the minister was amazing/we didn't call him, a friend of my sisters did - he was great support and didn't care if we were religious or not. he was just fantastic and had us laughing 'cause he was so funny. Know this isn't funny but you need support just to cope - he helped heaps and is still my mums friend.

I really feel for you, hope you're doing OK and for what it's worth will pray in my own way from Australia.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #66
(female)

Feather822 HB User

Charlie, I can't begin to comprehend what you and your family are going through. Your son sounds like a strong little man. I'm so sorry about what has happened with your wife. I can't imagine going in for surgery to make a situation better and it not go as planned. My family and I are praying for your wife to get better and your son and yourself to stay strong and healthy. God bless

Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #67
(male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User
Praying for you and Melissa. My mom had cdiff and other serious issues, spent month in ICU with many hopeless moments. She is doing GREAT now, btw. There are not simple reasons for our ailments and life is not fair. I hope you can get some support here and as suggested, definitely get spiritual help soon. Doctors can help our physical but humans are more than just physical.

Last edited by deanh; 06-01-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #68
(female)

LiquidIce78 HB User

Charlie,
When I read your last post my heart went out for you. Everyday we sit in our own worlds, complaining and worrying about our problems. But compards to you, I have no problems. I am praying for you, for strenght for what may come. I am praying for Melissa, for comfort. And I am praying for your son, to stay a child trough all of this.

Also, I had to give you this prayer:

Footprints in the Sand

One night I had a dream...
I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord, and
Across the sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand;
One belonged to me, and the other to the Lord.
When the last scene of my life flashed before us,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that many times along the path of my life,
There was only one set of footprints.
I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in my life
This really bothered me, and I questioned the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
You would walk with me all the way;
But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life,
There is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why in times when I
needed you the most, you should leave me.
The Lord replied, "My precious, precious
child. I love you, and I would never,
never leave you during your times of
trial and suffering.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."
~~~~~~

Old 06-01-2013, 12:57 AM   #69
(female)

Hi Charlie
Hope you are OK although I know you're not, and probably don't feel like posting. I'm in Aus and know it's early Sat morning in the States but you're probably not getting much sleep anyway.

No matter what happens please be aware there are lots of people from all over the world who want to give you support even if it's over the net. Please take care of yourself no matter what happens.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #70
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi charlie, just a quick note to let you know I'm still praying for you guys from virginia. (((Hugs))) cathy

Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #71
(female)

LiquidIce78 HB User

Hi Charlie,

Been thinking of you guys and wondering how you were keeping up?

Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #72
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User

Hello Charlie,
I'm from Oklahoma, and yes I will be praying for you and your wife. Sounds like you and her have been through some very difficult times since her surgery.
I, personally don't believe that God puts these things on us. I do believe in miracles though, and that's what I'll be praying for your wife. My brother has been in AA for many years, and he has always said "take one day at a time", but I find myself sometimes taking only "one minute" at a time.
I'm glad you have taken the time to post on this board, even through the ups and the downs. You never know what person "you" have encouraged by your post, to be able to hang on one more day.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #73
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Dear Charlie,

I couldn't believe what I was reading... I am so sorry this happened to your young wife. Unfortunately when we go for spinal/neck surgery, we can't predict outcome. I had many damages after surgery and thought it was bad, but when I read about Melissa I understand I am still blessed...

Please know we all here give you, your son and Melissa our love and support. Stay strong, pray and hope for the best, I know this is easier to say than do, but you have no choice but be strong for them.

Sweet heart, did other doctors saw Melissa? Not the ones who operated on her, they never tell the truth if something happens. I been through this myself and can tell you this is waist of time to ask them any questions.
I wonder if another, independent doctor saw her and what is his predictions? Do they think she still can be OK? What do they do for her?

I am so sorry to hear this, my heart is breaking and I wish I could help your wife.

All the best
with love Moldova

Old 06-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #74
(female)

Hi Charlie
Have been thinking about you. Could you please let us know what happened. I know it will be hard for you if the news is bad and for your son. It sounded pretty bad when she was admitted. If anything bad has happened please take care. I don't blame you for not updating. There are a lot of people thinking of you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thordownunder For This Useful Post:
gmak (06-20-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #75
(male)

CharliePA HB User

Sorry it's been so long since I posted. Melissa spent three weeks in the ICU. She is now back at rehab. It was torture there because of the risk of infecting our son with c-diff I was the only one with her. The ICU was a good one but they weren't accustomed to having patients who have spinal injuries. Guess who turned her every two hours and kept her skin without any issues or sores? Guess who did all of her physical therapy? They wanted to change her trach to the one that their vendors provide but I put an end to that by "borrowing “ some inner Cannula's from the rehab and showing their respiratory therapists and nurses how to change them out. I felt like I had literally abandoned our son because of not seeing him for almost a month. The house renovations start this week. An elevator, ceiling track lifting systems bathroom alterations, another garage annexed to the house to keep her out of the elements, a vehicle that is set up for transporting her, accommodations for the nurses to be in when we want private family time and the list goes on and on. She is coming home in eight weeks barring any other issues. She is a Ventilater dependent, A.S.I.A type A complete., tetrapalygic whom I love and will take care of in sickness until death do us part. That is the commitment I signed up for and intend to honor. I believe that God has been grooming me for this challenge throughout my entire life. Every time I said “why Me?“, every unanswered prayer, every rough, sometimes downright horrible moment has made me capable of dealing with this. I just hope he's not using this experience to groom me for something bigger. I'll post again soon. For all of you who continue to support and pray for us we are eternally grateful.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: CharliePA
bshorter30 (06-28-2013), Precious55 (06-28-2013)
Closed Thread