It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #16
(female)

grover771 HB User
Re: New question regarding epidural injections and healing?

[QUOTE=RVERSAGGI;5165218]So sorry you're having all this trouble. I too have severe stenosis and have been
having the epidurals as often as it is allowed. Do not be deceived. These
CANNOT cure--they are palliative only. I don't want surgery so this is my only
real option. And, it's always a crap shoot as to whether the epidural works.
I've had a few that were great, and two that did not help at all. Still, it's all there is.
I can't take opiates, aspirin or ibuprofen, so I'm stuck with Tramodol & Tylenol.[/QUOTE]

Thanks RVERSAGGI, for your feedback. My procedure is tomorrow and I WAS able to confirm that they will give me sedative of some sort. The Facet Joint injections really hurt, as they didn't give me anything, other than spraying some deadening spray on the area.. like that really helped.

Hubby and I were just discussing the Pain Med topic. We're wondering how do you know that the pain you feel is REALLY the pain, or is it my head telling me I'm in pain and want a pill? I just want to make sure I don't get addicted to these, but clearly believe I am in pain. They tend to last 4-5 hours, along with my NEWLY arrived TENS Unit ;-) and then I start hurting again.

Really do like this TENS thing... but don't get me wrong... it only helps while you're wearing it.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #17
(female)

RVERS HB User

The pain from stenosis is pretty specific, and also effects the buttocks and legs.
It really is pain because the nerves re being compressed. All pain meds have potential side effects: Tylenol can affect the liver, aspirin, ibuprofen & naproxen- bleeding and gastrointestinal troubles. Tramadol is potentially addicting, but I stay
below the recommended dosage. I am now experimenting with a Chinese Herb,
Biacalin--which is supposed to reduce inflammation and pain. If true it will be godsend. I'll report back as soon as I've given it a good try. In the meantime, maybe I will invest in a TENS unit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Grover ~ what are you having done tomorrow?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #19
(female)

Ms Issues HB User

Hi, epidurals did not 'cure me' nor did they help with my back pain. But everyone is different! Good Luck

The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Issues For This Useful Post:
grover771 (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #20
(female)

grover771 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5165245]Grover ~ what are you having done tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

Having the BiLateral Epidural Steroid Injections. They called today for background info and I asked if they would give me something to relax me.. and she said they do, THANK GOD! The Facet Joint Injections were horrible. Or maybe I've just got a low tolerance for pain.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Remember to stay off your feet as much as possible for 72 hours to maximize the results of the steroid.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #22
(female)

grover771 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5165368]Remember to stay off your feet as much as possible for 72 hours to maximize the results of the steroid.[/QUOTE]

Oh, wow.. I didn't know that! I definitely will. Makes me thankful I work from a home office.

Thank you!!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #23
(female)

akasweet HB User
Wink Re: New question regarding epidural injections and healing?

[QUOTE=grover771;5156477]Hi all,
So I've been managing my back pain pretty well with norco, Lyrica. Meloxicam and a portable TENS unit. I'm able to sit for a longer period of time... Which is helpful, as I've been having to travel to conferences these last few and next 10 days.

I am scheduled for a bilateral Transforimnal Epidural Steroid Injection on April 23. He will do all three discs. He said this targets the nerves. While I've been happy to have some sense of normalcy, I've also come to realize that all this stuff is just masking the cause of pain.

So.. I'm wondering if anyone knows is these injections will actually "cure" me? Or will my tears still be there and I'm just "managing the pain" with the injections.

I don't know. I'm just thinking that if I put off having the 3 level fusion, or put off trying the stem cell transplant, will the discs just continue to get worse... Even though the pain is being managed. Thanks for any comments/reflections.
Deb[/QUOTE]

Last edited by akasweet; 04-23-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: put response in wrong place

Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #24
(female)

akasweet HB User

I have had numerous epidural injections (10+) over the last 15 years...they did get me through....I would always recommend do least invasive first and surgery last....I am currently have an appointment to see a neurosurgeon on Friday about implanting a spinal stimulator in my lumbar region; the trials helped significallty

Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #25
(female)

grover771 HB User

[QUOTE=akasweet;5165667]I have had numerous epidural injections (10+) over the last 15 years...they did get me through....I would always recommend do least invasive first and surgery last....I am currently have an appointment to see a neurosurgeon on Friday about implanting a spinal stimulator in my lumbar region; the trials helped significallty[/QUOTE]

Hi akasweet, hope the stimulator helps.
I've been home for a few hours now and totally confused. When I got on to the surgery center and got all IV'd, this young woman doc cones over and says shes not sure why they wrote down I was having 3 bilateral epid steroid injections at one time, because that doesn't make sense to her. Then she asked where my pain was.. Am I the o ly one here who is tired of people asking me where my pain is? I wanted to scream! I told her in my lower back, when I sit, walk or stand for a long time. She then asked the usual question...wait, it's coming.... "Do you have pain down your leg?" I thought I was going to jump off the table, grab her neck and scream," NO! I don't have pain down my leg! I have a HEAVY feeling across the top of my right thigh, but no tingling or burning.. I just feel like I drag my leg"..

She then went on to explain that she thought they must of gotten confused and had me sign a new release and then she did a Transforiminal but only one level and only one side.

Of course hubby was upset because I didn't ask to see the doc or ask to bring him in.. So now I feel like I wasn't smart enough to make those decisions very hopeless feeling, I must say. . I've got a call in to the Dr.s office to get clarification.

Resting in the couch.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

When you talked about having 3 bilateral ESIs, it struck me as odd because I had never heard of an ESI given that way...so I guess I am not surprised that this was your experience today. But it is unsettling to have the confusion.

Most recently I went to a physiatrist for this sort of thing. He almost never listened to or followed the instructions of my surgeon. He pretty much did what he felt was appropriate...and I always felt I was caught in the middle. I'd return to my surgeon and he would ask how I had responded to the ESI at level X and I'd give him the information but tell him the injection was done at level Y.

You must get over be offended when asked if you have leg pain. It is so unusual to NOT have leg pain, that I'm not surprised everyone asks you!

Keep keeping off your feet. It will maximize the chances of the steroid having an opportunity to "work." Use ice if it becomes painful.

The following user gives a hug of support to teteri66:
grover771 (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #27
(female)

grover771 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5165717]When you talked about having 3 bilateral ESIs, it struck me as odd because I had never heard of an ESI given that way...so I guess I am not surprised that this was your experience today. But it is unsettling to have the confusion.

Most recently I went to a physiatrist for this sort of thing. He almost never listened to or followed the instructions of my surgeon. He pretty much did what he felt was appropriate...and I always felt I was caught in the middle. I'd return to my surgeon and he would ask how I had responded to the ESI at level X and I'd give him the information but tell him the injection was done at level Y.

You must get over be offended when asked if you have leg pain. It is so unusual to NOT have leg pain, that I'm not surprised everyone asks you!

Keep keeping off your feet. It will maximize the chances of the steroid having an opportunity to "work." Use ice if it becomes painful.[/QUOTE]

I know Teteri66, I guess I'm just tired of it all.
I called the docs office, because his head nurse was in there checking on me when they wanted to change. She just called back and said that at first, the woman doc wanted to change it to medial branch block?(sp).. But he said no and that he wanted the Trans ESI, but to target the right side, l2-3.. She said he's trying to narrow down... And wanted to try starting with the area that causes my heaviness.. That he may decide on radio frequency down the road. She apologized for the confusion, and said that if I don't feel any change by the end of the week or weekend to call them.

Thanks for responding.. Even at 53, without my mom to call, i reach out to those who might understand. .

Old 04-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #28
(female)

lmarley08 HB User

Hi all,

My back problems are very similar to the ones being discussed here, so I figured I would just add to this thread rather than beginning a new one.

A few years ago I was experiencing the all too common low back pain coupled with muscle spasms and slight sciatica. After an MRI I was diagnosed with DJD, primarily affecting L5/S1. I went through the works: physical therapy and a few injections including an epidural. Since 2010, for the most part I have been okay with just a few minor problems here and there.

About three weeks ago I was playing volleyball and my back was not happy about it. I tried to manage the pain on my own with muscle relaxers, tramadol, and stretching but I was pretty much stuck in bed for a week. I returned to my physiatrist and after a new MRI my DJD has worsened and is also now affecting L4/L5. My symptoms during this episode have also been much worse with the shooting pain being constant rather than intermittent, much more intense, and my foot was tingling for a couple days. The MRI report says I my L5/S1 disc has a prominent extrusion that is flattening and displacing the S1 nerve root. I didn't even realize it until my Dr. was examining me, but the strength and balance of my right leg has also diminished. Im going to begin PT for 6 weeks and have another epidural injection, and if that doesn't take care of the problems he recommended I talk to a surgeon.

Now, I realize all of this is like a classic "textbook" case, but I am only 22 years old which is very concerning. I like to be active, but now it seems my back just wont allow it. My biggest concern is nerve damage. Does anyone know if there are long term implications of nerve compression?

I am not anti-surgery, although the though of it is scary. I just want to be able to live an active lifestyle as I have been without worrying about not being able to move in the morning. Any recommendations as to how I should manage this? Conservatively or aggressively? Also, I don't know anything about what surgeries are even out there to fix this so if any of you have had procedures done and can let me know what they did and how they went that would be great!

Reply Reply