It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
x-rays cervical spine

Just received report from Radiologist on X-Rays of the Cervical Spine that were done last week. Here is the report:

HISTORY: Fusion 13 years ago. MVA three months ago. Pain

REPORT:

TECHNIQUE: AP, lateral, oblique and open mouth views of the cervical spine.

COMPARISON: No prior study. Comparison is made though to the MRI exam of 03/12/2013.

FINDINGS: There is an anterior spinal fusion C3 to C5. A screw and plate device is seen in this area. There is also posteior spinal fixation going approximately from C3 to T4. There is no obvious sign of fracture or disengagement with the above hardware. There is an increased kyphosis of the cervical spine with increased lordosis centered about C2-3. The anterior spinal fusion is mature. Oblique images demonstrate patent neural foramina.

The open couth view is normal.

IMPRESSION:

a. Increased kyphosis of the cervical spine with hyperlordosis centered about C2-3.
2. Anterior and posterior spinal fixation as discussed above.

The surgery that the report refers to 13 years ago was done for "kyphosis." So not sure what to make of the report since it states "increased kyphosis." Does this mean that the kyphosis is reappering since the surgery was done back in 2000?

Any opinions on the "findings" would be appreciated.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: x-rays cervical spine

That's how I would interpret it. Overall it looks good though. Nothing else appears to be out of position, broken hardware, etc. Did you have a MRI too or recently? As you know x-rays don't show injury to soft tissue, discs, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Pebblebeach3, does your neck still hurt you?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #4
(male)

Sharkie1 HB User

everything you had done was fro c3 through c5. an increased kyphosis of the cervical spine with increased lordosis centered about C2-3. C2-3 is new you will probably have same fusion typ surgery on these 2 disk.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

nochange:

Yes it is still giving me issues. From weakness in the arms; to difficulty holding things in my hands for periods of times; reaching for things is trouble. I get pain in the cervical area down into the thoracic area. I never know when it will go from mild problems to severe. And medications really don't work much at this point.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

[QUOTE=Sharkie1;5163404]everything you had done was fro c3 through c5. an increased kyphosis of the cervical spine with increased lordosis centered about C2-3. C2-3 is new you will probably have same fusion typ surgery on these 2 disk.[/QUOTE]

Pebble, Is the C2-C3 a new level that hasnt been operated on before?

Old 04-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Gmak:

When I had my fusion/Harrington Rods done in 2003 it was done from C3 to T4/5 levels I believe.

I am not sure if that means C2/3 or C3/4. I think for some reason it was done C3/4 so if I am right then what the X-Rays is talking about is the level above where the surgery is done.

Hopefully in the next day or so I can get out my file of reports, mostly MRI and see if the reports give me any indication of what levels were involved. I'll post something after I've looked at the reports. But not sure if I will find the answer or not.

More later.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

I looked at the last MRI report which was done just a few weeks ago and it states: "Patient has postsurgical fusion from the C2 to C3 to the level of the thoracic spine."

I was always under the impression that the plates/screws started at C3/4 levels. But I guess I was wrong based on the last report.

Not sure what to think of the X-Rays that were just taken. Is the kyphosis that they are referring to showing changes? Does this mean something is up with the Harrington Rods?

Really need doctor to look at the films at give me their interpretation of what is going on. The doctor that did the surgery is NOT doing cervical surgery any longer. And since I am in south Jersey anyway getting up into NY to see him is difficult for me. And I won't just let anyone review the films.

So back to the neurosurgeon that I am seeing in Philadelphia I guess to give me his conclusion.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
(male)

Sharkie1 HB User

If pain pills are not helping then there are other issues as much work as you have had it would be very wise to ask your doctor to test your spine for infections in the spine. Infections in the spine can last years after hardware installation some times the infection finally can kill you. Always demand the test for infections the way they do surgery these days its like an assembly line. Roll drill plate stitch dressing, next roll etc. I had a minor decompresion just one and my good friend the back surgeon who really is the top ten best in the nation got ahold of me did a excellent job. I was first in on table and guess what staph infection turns to mrsa and had to have emergency surgery to cut infection out of stomach and 8 weeks on antibiotics

Old 04-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi pebble! Glad to "see" you! I went back to look at the MRI from march also. You have posted all your surgical history perfectly a few times on hb, i can see why you would want this looked into further, if there is an answer that explains the new cervical symptoms it would be great. I dont know if the increased kyphosis means increased for you or increased in general since the radiologist had nothing to compare xrays to filmwise but he did use your MRI from march.

Last edited by gmak; 04-18-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: redundant

Old 04-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

The Radiologist that looked at my X-rays that were just done was able to look at the MRI that was just done in the past month. The X-rays and last MRI just happen to have been done at the same facility. So while he did not have ALL the films for comparison he at least had the most recent one for comparison.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
(male)

Sharkie1 HB User

If you have your doc call the radiologist and ask him to compare them I am sure they will get it done. They sometime need orders from the doc on what to do.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Hi pebble, On the december MRI that you posted the radiologist starts talking about the post surgical changes @ C3 as in C3-4. Does that help?Also, in prev post im not asking if it is higher or lower level like it sounds what im referring to is when fusions are done then all movement falls on the higher or lower lever around the fusion & can cause those levels to have problems. Do you think C2-3 is having a problem now possibly that could be causing your symptoms & also after re looking @ the MRI reports that say limited study i can now see why you were asking about ct/myelogram etc because of all the artifact caused by rods, hardware. Also yes he did use MRI for comparison but i still dont know if he meant increased for you or increased in general because the MRI & the xrays were only a few weeks apart.Also, in the MRI report posted
oct 26 the radiologist says surgical changes start C3-C5 sparing C2.
This imho would mean C2-3 is not included in the harrington rod fusion or surgery at all so you might be remembering right. P.S. Awhile back you described a very severe frightening feeling that was in you chest but felt like it was from thoracic back issues, is that still happening & is that what you are describing in above post
to no chamge? One more thing, have you seen the cardiologist yet about the methadone safety?

Last edited by gmak; 04-18-2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: ps

Old 04-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
(male)

Sharkie1 HB User

See peeble, like I said that disk had nothing done to it yet. And the radiologist was talking about your spine is larger. Trust me you need to rule out infection. and get some relief. I dont even need to see all the mris and films. Just one test and you will see.

Closed Thread