HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   Scar tissue tears around bone donor site - how to get rid of it? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/948519-scar-tissue-tears-around-bone-donor-site-how-get-rid.html)

kidswithzip 05-04-2013 07:09 AM

Scar tissue tears around bone donor site - how to get rid of it?

Many years ago I had a spinal fusion at L4/5 and L5/S1. While it was a very long recovery process I have now for many years been able to live a relatively normal life (as normal as life can be post a double fusion). The spine itself is now solid but the donor site where the bone was taken from (illiac crest) has become a constant source of localised and referred pain. I regularly appear to tear the scar tissue and have injections and oral prednisilone and pain meds to assist with managing this problem. My question relates to the removal of scar tissue. Can daily ultrasound over a long period of time breakdown old and newly formed scar tissue? What other options are there other than the surgical removal of the scar tissue? Any thoughts experiences or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

teteri66 05-04-2013 03:27 PM

Re: Scar tissue tears around bone donor site - how to get rid of it?

Welcome to the board. Are you referring to scar tissue that is on the surface of the skin?

kidswithzip 05-04-2013 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=teteri66;5170327]Welcome to the board. Are you referring to scar tissue that is on the surface of the skin?[/QUOTE]

No its the internal scar tissue that has formed in and around the actual bone graft site (the void from where the bone was removed). From my understanding the scar tissue is attached to muscles and nerves and when on occasions I over stretch it is though someone is sticking a sharp object into my back. Within 12 hours the leg pain starts and the graft site becomes extremely tender. With the right treatment it settles within 3-6 days.

What I am wanting to know is whether ultrasound on a long term basis will slowly break down some or any of the old tissue as well as any new tissue that forms following a tear. Thus reducing the number of tears in the future.

danb1021 05-07-2013 06:33 AM

good morning..i am having the same issue.i have scar tissue that is wrapped around the nerves from my L3-S1 spinal fusion..and for me it's really hard to live a normal life because of the amount of pain that I am in everyday..the solution that my pain dr has come up with is a spinal cord stimulater..maybe this is not the answer or for everyone but if I can get off any of the meds that im on im for it..i have done the test and received about 40% reduction in pain.and I sleep a lot better when I had it turned on..also sitting longer periods of time seems to me better..good luck because I know what your going through.

teteri66 05-07-2013 12:04 PM

I've not heard of scar tissue forming around the graft site. Generally speaking, I don't think ultrasound would help with this...but, your situation is different from what most people on the back board are dealing with (similar to what the other poster mentioned --).

For an alternate treatment, you might look into treatment with a cold laser. This is being used with some success in treating some pain issues, joint issues, healing of open wounds, etc. Whether it would work on your situation I do not know...but it might be worth trying.