It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User
worse pain after epidural injection??

Had shots Thursday morning and yesterday the back pain was sooo bad. Going into my butt, legs, foot. Dr told me to go to Er last night (because I called at 230am in pain) to make sure I wasn't bleeding in the epidural space from the injection. Did CT scan and no bleeding but told me to call my DR & get MRI this week. I have severe lower back pain, worse than before the injection. Has this happened to anyone?

2/2011 & 3/2011-L4-L5 Laminectomy & Disectomy 3/2011- Facet Joint FX (TLSO Brace)
7/11/12-L4-L5 Spinal Fusion; 7/25/12 Revision
5/29/13 - L3-S1 Spinal Fusion Revision

Old 05-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: worse pain after epidural injection??

The very first time I had an ESI I was in a great deal of pain for several days afterward. But I never had more than one injection or nerve block at a time. I think you said they were injecting several areas?

Are you using ice? You can ice for 15-20 minutes per hour round the clock if needed. Just be sure to protect your skin so you don't burn it.

Is the pain more intense than normal or is it in a new location? What exactly did you have done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had injection at L3-4 & L-5 S1. Its new bc its on my left side the worst and my whole lower back when I walk...bend...lift anything but laying down

2/2011 & 3/2011-L4-L5 Laminectomy & Disectomy 3/2011- Facet Joint FX (TLSO Brace)

Old 05-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
(female)

stomachdisorder HB User

YES - the word epidural gives me the creeps.
I had one because I had when giving birth to my twins. Did not work, had two during labor. I got so many side effects from this dam thing. Prefer natural birth but my babies health matter, had to be put out totally for C section. Afterward had migraines for 3mths. Did 2, well tried to do Blood Patches but this only sent electric shock like pain down my leg. Very bad effect for me.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

The physiatrist I went to for the past several years prior to my last surgery requires that his patients stay off their feet (other than trips to bathroom and food) for 72 hours after injection procedures. It maximizes the efficacy of the steroid medication, allowing the patient to get as much out of it as possible, and it also helps to minimize post-injection inflammation, which can make it more painful.

I know it is hard to avoid bending and lifting, but with disc herniations, try to avoid as much as possible.

I wonder what the doctor thinks a MRI will show that wasn't seen on CT scan? Did he say what he's looking for?

Is ice helping with the pain?

Old 05-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The pain is all in lower back, legs etc. I am not using ice anymore. I have 2 little kids so I cant avoid the bending etc but I am asking as many people to help me. They said mri to see for sure if blood in the epidural space.

Closed Thread