It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
(female)

janinep HB User
reherniation after microdisectomy

Hi all. I had a microdisectomy April 18 2013 L5S1. I had originally herniated in OCtober 2012. I tried PT it did not help at all it actually made things worse. I got an injection in my spine end of march. Shortly after the shot I began getting severe pain down my butt and then down my leg, There really is no words for me to describe how bad the pain was. I explained to the doctor at my PT office and he said it was probably that I sat in a different car seat, Place was horrible Total Health in NJ. The nerve was so badly damaged I lost motion in my foot i had numbness in my leg as well. The pain was unlike anything I ever could imagine. After 2 weeks of pain finally it became more numb and the shooting leg pain stopped. The numbness increased and loss of foot and toe movement. Still in pain and concerned about not being able to move my foot I went to ER where they said they would do Emergency Micro due to Cauda Equina nerves being compressed. Frightened, never having surgery, I left to seek a second and third opinion. All agreed I needed the surgery and even I knew it had to be done.

Starting feeling the best I had been since initial herniation May1, 2, 3. Then I woke up May 4 with the pain going down the right side of my butt (originally it was the left side of the butt leg and foot) I was so afraid and bracing myself for the leg pain. After reading these boards I knew it would be weeks of the Dr. thinking it was inflamed nerves, or other things besides reherniation. I went to ER and got a new MRI which I had to fight for bc they also thought it was normal healing of tissue causing this pain. I know my body and the MRI came back reherniation.

This is where Im at now. My doctor said he can go in and operate or try steroids and other methods to see how I do.

I just started the medro pack after getting a shot of it in the hospital. It seems to be helping. My question is has anyone been in this situation and held out on a second microdisectomy surgery with success??
Also how long does the relief from the steroids help? its my first time taking them.
Im afraid when i wean that i will be back to square one with the pain going down my leg. I am so afraid of that pain and I keep thinking it will come back once Im off the steroids.

Any input?

I am so afraid the pain will come back.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: reherniation after microdisectomy

I would suggest giving the conservative treatment a chance to work. You won't have to wait a long time to find out if you are better, and it would be best if they didn't have to go back in and reoperate on the same disc. If you have two failed discectomies, you will most likely be looking at a fusion...which should be avoided if possible.

The key is whether the steroids will be able to reduce inflammation to the point that the spinal nerve is no longer compressed....No one can predict whether this will happen, or not. But it is worth an attempt as the alternative is another surgery, with its inherent risks.

Remember to avoid any activity that involves bending or twisting at the waist, reaching up overhead or to the side, lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk, etc. Do not sit for more than about 15 minutes at a time in a suitable chair that adequately supports your spine. Avoid long car rides or drives, bumpy roads, starting and/or stopping quickly. It probably seems like lots of restrictions, but if you can be careful for about six months, you probably (hopefully) can avoid surgery.

Regarding the steroids, it is just like getting an injection. It may or may not work. If they help, the results could last a day, a week, a year. It is impossible to predict. It all depends on whether the tissue moves off the nerve. One issue that may or may not have an impact on the situation is the amount of disc that was removed during the initial discectomy. If too much tissue is removed, it can create a situation of instability, which can impact on the spinal nerve.

Sorry I don't have more specific information for you...there just isn't any predictable data.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
(female)

ossie1 HB User

You are very early post surgery, its a very traumatic operation and you may get plenty of scares. However I reherniated soon after, cant put a date on it because it was lost in the mess of trying to recover from this quite frankly awful procedure.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

I had a disc that broke and 2 wks after surgery broke again so I had surgery again. I would also say try to avoid surgery bc the more disc u lose the more of a chance u can have bone on bone causing pain and probably a fusion.

2/2011 & 3/2011-L4-L5 Laminectomy & Disectomy 3/2011- Facet Joint FX (TLSO Brace)
7/11/12-L4-L5 Spinal Fusion; 7/25/12 Revision
5/29/13 - L3-S1 Spinal Fusion Revision

Old 05-12-2013, 03:34 AM   #5
(female)

janinep HB User

Did you get a second microdisectomy??

Old 05-12-2013, 03:36 AM   #6
(female)

janinep HB User

did you get a second micrdisectomy??

Old 05-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

Yes I did

2/2011 & 3/2011-L4-L5 Laminectomy & Disectomy 3/2011- Facet Joint FX (TLSO Brace)
7/11/12-L4-L5 Spinal Fusion; 7/25/12 Revision
5/29/13 - L3-S1 Spinal Fusion Revision

Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
(female)

janinep HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5173274]I would suggest giving the conservative treatment a chance to work. You won't have to wait a long time to find out if you are better, and it would be best if they didn't have to go back in and reoperate on the same disc. If you have two failed discectomies, you will most likely be looking at a fusion...which should be avoided if possible.

The key is whether the steroids will be able to reduce inflammation to the point that the spinal nerve is no longer compressed....No one can predict whether this will happen, or not. But it is worth an attempt as the alternative is another surgery, with its inherent risks.

Remember to avoid any activity that involves bending or twisting at the waist, reaching up overhead or to the side, lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk, etc. Do not sit for more than about 15 minutes at a time in a suitable chair that adequately supports your spine. Avoid long car rides or drives, bumpy roads, starting and/or stopping quickly. It probably seems like lots of restrictions, but if you can be careful for about six months, you probably (hopefully) can avoid surgery.

Regarding the steroids, it is just like getting an injection. It may or may not work. If they help, the results could last a day, a week, a year. It is impossible to predict. It all depends on whether the tissue moves off the nerve. One issue that may or may not have an impact on the situation is the amount of disc that was removed during the initial discectomy. If too much tissue is removed, it can create a situation of instability, which can impact on the spinal nerve.

Sorry I don't have more specific information for you...there just isn't any predictable data.[/QUOTE]

Old 05-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
(female)

janinep HB User

thanks for your reply. the steroids helped but now that ive weaned off I am getting the sharp pain down my right again. its not very frequent or as intense but its there.I am trying to avoid surgery but the last time I suffered from october to april before I got the surgery. I dont think I can do that again. I wish there was a way for them to seal the area so more disc doesnt come out. reherniation seems hard to avoid.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Are you doing a course of physical therapy? Has your surgeon given you any reason to hope this disc could heal on its own? Was he talking about another discectomy or did he mention fusion?

On Friday I just had my second eye operated on for cataracts that I developed from taking so many steroids -- I waited a long time before I agreed to my first spine surgery!

Old 05-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #11
(female)

Begora HB User

JAN- sorry to hear that you need surgery again. Teteri is right about being careful...I had a micro in NOV of last year and am having a "redo" next Friday. I moved in Dec and probably did too much looking back on it. i was so out of it. I am having an MRI/X-ray on Monday. Have tried injections, phys therapy...I just know something is not right and am worse than before last surgery. I'm taking Gabapentin and I don't know if its working. Not stopping to find out!. Good luck to all!

Closed Thread