It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
(male)

Hoejef HB User
Sorry another microdiscetomy

So I am new to this site and have been reading many threads in regards to this procedure. It seems that most weigh in favor of the wait and try conventional methods.
It has been a month since my situation has occurred: MRI report L-4 L-5 moderate disc desiccation, moderate right anterolateral herniated nucleus pulposus with extension of extruded disc material to juncture of middle and upper thirds of L-4 vertebral body. There is mild facet arthropathy with moderate left and right foraminal encroachment.
Wow, even my spell check wants me to correct half of those words
Basically, from what I have been told, that is a rupture between the L-4 and L-5 that has gone up instead of out and is strangling the nerve hence the numbness, weakness and pain in right leg and buttock.
Also commented in report are your typical 54 yr old issues.
So, to date I have had one injection (ESI) which helped with pain to a degree that I can deal with. Still weak and numb. Have had many different opinions, two from chiropractors, one being my son who practices out of state and very hard nosed about conventional methods, and other one that has been actually treating me, both said have it done as I am still very active and work in the construction industry.
The others have been 2 neurosurgeons and family members in the medical field, all in favor of surgery.
At this point I am going this Thursday to have it done but still very leery of surgery as I am starting to feel slightly better as time goes on but, have been told this conversation would come up again, if I do nothing.
My question to all is wait or cut? Any comments or opinions would be much appreciated. Thank you! J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
(male)

donc4523 HB User
Re: Sorry another microdiscetomy

Proceed with caution.
Another microdiscetomy meaning you have already had one?
I waited 8 months trying numerous ESI, nerve blocks and a months of PT with little to no results before I made the decision to have surgery ( L4-S1 discectomy).
Do you have danger of permanent nerve damage?
I also was and still trying to be active in the construction industry.I not to far behind your age. I struggle with pain and numbness every day still. Seems back issue's are pretty common to the industry
Point I'm getting at about surgery it can go either way, meaning one problem may fade but another will surface. I'm now over 5 months post op and am back to ESI.
If your feeling better and can deal with it - give it a chance.
One month may feel like a lifetime but really it's not that long. I'm told your better off if you can to let things heal on there own. I tried and was told after my procedure it would not have resolved itself without surgery, now like I said I'm dealing with a different issue.
Everybody is different..
What ever you decide to do I wish My Best..
That's my 2 cents

Old 06-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #3
(male)

Hoejef HB User

Thanks for your reply Donc
It is my first and I am hoping my last surgery ,I was told that it can do nerve damage because of how it ruptured and strangling the nerve and that its plain as day in the MRI. Just like you apparently this wont resolve itself
That's why I feel and have been told by different people in the medical field to do it.
I have had lower back problem meaning it would occasionally go out and yes I would head to Chiropractor for adj. but for the past six months it had been almost every 2 weeks or so, I guess it was a ticking time bomb.
So its been 5 months and your problem is back? that sucks

Thanks again
Hoejef

Last edited by Hoejef; 06-12-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Do you know anyone who just had ONE back surgery?

Old 06-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
(male)

Hoejef HB User

Fortunately I do and identical to mine and he is doing great, that being said everyone is different. His regiment after surgery is exercise and nutrition and attitude

Old 06-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
(female)

vamp41 HB User

Hi,
I am in favor of cut. I had the lumbar microdiscectomy in February and the surgeon relieved all of that nerve pain, even though I have the numbness and other back pains the surgery was awesome. Just remember to take it easy because you will feel pretty good right after surgery. So do not over do it...Good Luck

Old 06-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
(male)

Hoejef HB User

Vampire Sorry to hear your having issues again and thanks for the thumbs up on the surgery. Yes I learned from the last time when I had knee surgery and thought I was good to go, boy did I suffer that night. This time around I am totally taking it easy.
Had surgery yesterday and feeling my oats right about now were as this morning felt pretty good. I was kind of thinking ( hoping ) I would see some off the symptom's lessened( numbness weakness) but I guess its a little to soon . The Dr took a picture of the herniation and it was about 1.5" so its going to take a little time.
Sorry if this double post

Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #8
(male)

Hoejef HB User

So its been one week since my surgery and its seems I am on the road to recovery. The first 3 days I was really starting to think that maybe I made the wrong decision, but came the fourth day I started to see things go the other way.
Most of the original symptoms are still their but fading as each day goes by, its seems towards the end of each day they tend to come back a little then when I wake up they are gone.
Will post in another week or after my follow up on Wed.
So far thumbs up
Hoejef

Old 06-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
(female)

nora01 HB Usernora01 HB Usernora01 HB User

Glad you are doing better. Just remember to take it easy and not over do it.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #10
(male)

Hoejef HB User

Yes thank you, I have been pounding that into my head each and every time I go to even the simplest thinks.
Hoejef

Old 06-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #11
(male)

Hoejef HB User

Hello again
It now has been 2 weeks and a few days since surgery and its getting better everyday. Stitches were taken out on Thurs.

Still have weak thigh muscle (60 % better then before surgery) and some numbness and aching from time to time, note the word aching not pain.
Took my first easy bike ride yesterday, leg was kind of tired after.

But all and all I think I made the right decision.

Thanks hoejef

Old 06-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
(female)

mm78 HB User

Please keep posting! I'm following along. I'm in almost the same boat (you commented on another one of my posts earlier, re: making a decision about whether to have the microdiscectomy or not).

Anyway, I decided to go for it even though I am feeling good after the epidural. I feel that that epi is making me feel good but the problem hasn't been fixed. I had an MRI done after the epi that showed the herniation is getting bigger and is pressing more on the nerve.

I'm so glad to read that you are doing well a few weeks after your surgery. I will be keeping up so that I know what to expect!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
(female)

Calin HB UserCalin HB UserCalin HB User

Good luck to everyone posting in this thread. I had L5/S1 microdiscectomy in early Feb. It took me a year to come to the decision because I always got better after the ESI injections, and then would get worse again. My first one lasted nearly 5 years, but the next time it was not so.

I'm doing pretty well....I still have numbness and achiness, but when I think back to the amount of medication, stress, and debilitating pain, I'm doing well. I did regain all the strength in my leg.

Hang in there, take it easy, and know that lots of odd sensations and nerve jolts can happen after surgery for awhile....all normal. I appreciate this board so much!

Old 07-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
(male)

pasko52 HB User
Smile Re: Sorry another microdiscetomy

This is an interesting post and as such I wanted to add that I am seven months post my own microdiscetomy and still have left shin numbness and thigh pain but the symptoms are reducing. I waited for six months as advised on this board before restarting sport, I wear a special belt for my back and try to listen to my body but I have begun to play Squash and football as well as running, and even bought Roller Skates to learn, i know it sounds daft but when I spent six months without sport I promised myself that I needed to return safely and that I only had one life. Lesson learnt is we are all different and we should follow the advice and listen to our body.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #15
(male)

Hoejef HB User

Pasko,
Does not sound daft at all, your right you only get one life. I am glad you are having back at it and hope to be doing the same myself.
Hoejef

Reply Reply