It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
(male)

tradeof1jack HB User
Pro Disc-C Disc Replacement?

Have been recommended for disc replacement at L5/S1 and was told they'd use a Synthes Spine ProDisc-C. I was reading on a class action lawsuit, was just curious to see if anyone else had been given the Pro Disc C and what the result was?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Pro Disc-C Disc Replacement?

I was under the impression that the Pro Disc-C is only approved for cervical disc replacement.

From the FDA approval letter:

[B] The ProDisc™-C Total Disc Replacement is intended to be used in skeletally mature patients (people who have stopped growing) for reconstruction of the disc from C3-C7 following removal of the disc at one level for intractable symptomatic cervical disc disease (SCDD), a condition that results from a diseased or bulging disc.[/B]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
(male)

tradeof1jack HB User

Yes, I noticed that. Apparently the nurse gave me the wrong brochure. I would be getting the Pro-Disc L.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I would suggest you get several opinions before proceeding with disc replacement surgery. If you decide to go with ADR, be sure you go to the most experienced spine surgeon that is available to you.

When they work well, patients seem satisfied, but if there is a problem, they are dangerous to remove.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
(female)

Gerrij HB UserGerrij HB UserGerrij HB User

I had the pro-discL put in April 22. I have next to no pain, legs are also about 90% pain free. Doc used my bone and bone marrow along with BMP. I just had 2 month post op checkup and X-rays, I am starting to fuse. Surgery was long, and I had a rough couple of weeks. I read all the suggestions on this board for how to prepare my home pre op and how to sleep, with pillows to alleviate pressure on lower spine. I suffered for many years and am so happy now, no more walking with a cane, no more sleepless nights. I am also back to tHe gym, water cardio fitness, walking treadmill and recombinant bike, in a month I can start slowly on the elliptical. My doc is a spine neuro surgeon. I reccomend having this surgery done by a doc that has done a lot of them, and I had intra op neuro testing to assure nerves responded correctly as they were moved around when the S1 disc was taken out. I go back to work on Monday, 2 days on site to start and 3 remote. I still need to lay down during the day, as I get tired. You have to listen to your body. I also can only sit for about 1 1/2 hour at a time, the same for driving, and that has gotten better.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
(male)

tradeof1jack HB User

Wow -- thanks so much. Makes me hopeful. Maybe there is light at the end of this tunnel.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gerrij ~ I am confused. I thought you had a fusion at L5-S1. I thought I remembered you saying they had used BMP....But now you are saying you had artificial disc replacement. I would appreciate you explaining just what you had done!!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
(female)

Gerrij HB UserGerrij HB UserGerrij HB User

I had the S1 removed completely, replaced with the cage, with screws to hold the cage in place, to L5 was a discectomy with fusion. My S1 was completly flat, nerves were being compressed and the lamin on either side dehydrated, so I needed the fusion in addition to the discectomy.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

From your description, it sounds like you had a standard lumbar fusion, using a cage to hold the space of the disc that was removed. tradeof1jack was inquiring about having artificial disc replacement using the Pro Disc L. This is an entirely different procedure.

You mentioned you'd had the Pro Disc L too and I am trying to figure out if you had some sort of hybrid procedure that I am not familiar with. Typically, artificial discs are wedged in between the vertebrae, pedicle screws are not used to hold them in place, and bone graft is not used. This is in part why it is so dangerous when one has to be removed.

Sorry to keep asking you questions--I'm just trying to understand what you had done for my own knowledge.

Last edited by teteri66; 07-03-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
(female)

jeffquantum1 HB User
Re: Pro Disc-C Disc Replacement? Pain, numbness and more

I have this uncomfortable hunk of junk in my neck (c5-c6 and am far worse than before the surgery. I cannot sleep on my back AT ALL. Within a few minutes of lying on my back I lose all sensation in half my arms (down the center including pinky and ring fingers, I also lose sensation in my thighs and heels. I have horrible headaches, neck pain and more. If you feel like you can't live anymore than it might be worth the risk but I strongly suggest you think very carefully. My surgeon went on and on about how they would 'get me back to normal" and never went into all the problems that can and sometimes do occur. I only hope that I can help someone to avoid all the pain I've gone through (and will have to for the rest of my life). Knowing what I do now I would not have had this surgery if I had any idea that this could be the result. I hope this helps some one.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Can you have a revision surgery?

Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
(female)

jeffquantum1 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5247348]Can you have a revision surgery?[/QUOTE]

No, I just found out about it and they say it is high risk. I don't know what to do about it. I want to find a new surgeon though. The surgeon who put it in doesn't have my confidence anymore. Have you heardof any one who has had revision surgery and whether their results were better? Thanks

Old 12-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

No, I'm sorry to say I have not. What I mainly hear is that is one of the major negatives about disc replacement....that once the surgery is completed, it is a dangerous surgery to attempt to remove them.

Closed Thread

Tags
l5-s1, replacement, replacement surgery