It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
(female)

mm78 HB User
Vitamins after surgery?

I am wondering if anyone is taking specific vitamins post-back surgery to help with the healing process or to supplement your diet?

I've heard all kinds of suggestions, from Vitamin D to Magnesium (to "regulate" your movements) to fish oil for the nerves to Vitamin B and Vitamin C. I'm not averse to vitamins but I'm just wondering if there are any specific ones I should be thinking about. Prior to my back surgery I had a serious shoulder surgery and my hair started falling out after that, so I'm currently taking pills for healthy hair and nails. Is it okay to be taking different vitamins along with the anti-inflams, pain meds and sleep aids? I feel like a pill-popping freak.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
(female)

bshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB User
Re: Vitamins after surgery?

My neurosurgeon put me on calcium and vitamin d , I already take magnesium and b12, after my ACDF. Good luck.

Ankle replacement to come soon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I think eating nutritiously and drinking lots of water is more important than taking vitamins. Many spine patients are low in Vitamin D post surgery...but the thinking on that is that patients should be screened prior to surgery. Those that are low should be supplemented with 50,000 units per week for eight weeks prior to the surgery...Vit D is necessary for bone cell growth. But you didn't have a fusion, so this wouldn't apply to you.

Neither of my surgeons suggested supplementing with vitamins.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
(female)

Kate639 HB User

To start with, you should get plenty of calcium so that your bones get stronger. I would recommend some effervescent tablets - you can find those in about any drug store. They contain about 500mgs of calcium per tablet and it should be taken with a glass of water. Take one of those every 24 hours.
Secondly, be sure to be hydrated. Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water per day.
Also, you should have a balanced diet. Get enough carbs, fibers and eat lots of fruits - they'll help you recover quicker.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

I agree with the above suggestions, and be sure to take calcium along with vitamin D - if you only take Vitamin D without taking calcium, it could cause your body to leach calcium out of your bones and put it into your bloodstream. I actually take calcium magnesium as that will prevent you from getting majorly constipated as just straight calcium can do, especially after a surgery.

There are 2 types of vitamin D - vitamin D2 and vitamin D3. D2 is plant based and will only last in your body for 2-3 weeks, and D3 is animal based (which our bodies produce) and it will last for 2-3 months in our bodies. D3 is the better one for us to take, so be sure the one you get is D3.

I had a surgeon after a fusion recommend I take 1,000 units of L-Arginine for at least 6 weeks as that helps with better bloodflow and therefore better healing. That same surgeon also had me take a daily multivitamin.

HTH!

Old 07-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear martino, I hope that this finds you with the nerve numbness etc lessening & the nerve health is steadily returning. I was told a Vit B complex vitamin with vit C was good for nerve health, calcium in a liquid gel capsule absorbed well & i was low on vit D so i had to take 2000units of vit D3 for bone health & to be taken with the calcium to help it absorb, with a daily multivitamin with minerals. Some vitamins are water soluble & some oil or fat soluble so not to take megadoses unless prescribed by dr but to stick with "normal" vitamin doses.

Closed Thread