It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
(female)

mustang06 HB User
IS this back fat on my MRI or what?

OK, this might be a dumb question but I was looking at my MRI's on a CD and Im freakin out now. There is a white hump on my back which I assume is fat but then there is a circle on the outside of that fat? I wish I could show yall the picture but its so weird. Its like the size of a walnut. Is a tumor or cyst or what. THe doctors didn't mention it so do you think if it was important they would of said something? IT is my upper back inside the white tissue but on the very outside and it looks like someone drew a circle on it? I don't have anything on my back other than I might have muscle knots or tension. I know its hard to answer without a picture, but any thoughts? Would the radiologist have said something if it was important or do they just look at the spine?
Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: IS this back fat on my MRI or what?

Have you seen a copy of the radiology report yet? Yes, if a radiologist saw something other than what you were sent for, he would report it. People often find out they have a herniated disc when they have a MRI for some other purpose. I learned I had gallstones one time when given MRI for my lower spine.

Usually if the radiologist wants to draw the ordering doctor's attention to something, he will circle it and comment on it, if only to say "check this out" to see if it is anything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
(female)

mustang06 HB User

Thanks for responding. Yes, I have the radiologist reports. And nothing was said on it about anything besides my back problems. I have no clue what it is, but I just wanted to make sure that they would of said something if it was serious. I didnt' know if they were allowed to comment on anything besides back problems. Thanks, that makes me feel a little better.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
(female)

Kate639 HB User

There's pretty much nothing to worry about. This happens more often than you think, and you're not the only one experiencing this.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
(female)

Mart16 HB UserMart16 HB UserMart16 HB User

My MRI clearly shows a layer of fat along the back. Ugh. I also was told I have lipomas in my lower back. I found out while going to a massage therapist who had me get them checked out at my next doctors visit. They said they were nothing to worry about and the massages were ok to continue. But then I got a MRI and I clearly see the layer of fat but nothing looks like any lipomas. Nothing was noted by the radiologist. Now I'm wondering if the bumps could have been my facets that were large do to arthritis. Before my laminectomy they said my facets were enormous. That is all I saw on my MRI. Is it possible that ones facets get so large they feel like bumps on the back? When the massage therapist would work on down the back she would like fall of the edge of something with a thunk. Very strange.
Martha

Old 08-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Fat does appear bright white on MRI, and both normal fat pads and lipomas, benign fatty tumors, are encapsulated (the line around it). Neither are cause for concern, which is probably why the radiologist didn't mention it. Facet joints can appear whiter than usual if they are arthritic, but that is something that would be mentioned in report as an abnormality.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
(female)

mustang06 HB User

Thanks everyone. I hope its nothing it just looks strange. Its this perfect little circle on the outside of my back. As if I was laying on something in the machine. Its so weird. I Guess if it was a tumor on my back I would be able to feel it? Anyways thanks yall.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi mustang, Speaking of possibly laying on something during the MRI, my husband was in the MRI room with me because i'm a claustrophobe of the worst kind & he was wearing a cap, like a baseball cap but it has a magnetic metal golf marker on the bill of the cap & due to the magnets in the MRI it went flying across the room & stuck to the MRI machine!Lol & thank God that it did get noticed Before my MRI study!

Last edited by gmak; 08-09-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
(female)

mustang06 HB User

Haha That's funny gmak!

Old 08-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
(female)

Kate639 HB User

So never bring caps with magnetic metal markers to a MRI test. Noted.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kate639:
gmak (08-16-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kate639 For This Useful Post:
gmak (08-16-2013)
Closed Thread