It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2003, 08:08 PM   #1
(male)

Koot HB User
Teeth Whitening (an alternative product)

In this past year I have undergone an extensive dental program, which includes periodontal work (for gingivitis), tooth removal, a crown and two root canals. I made a bad decision ten years ago by giving up my twice-yearly dental appointments for cleaning and evaluation…and I paid dearly for it! Anyway, after spending a lot of money and time in dental chairs my dental problems are finally behind me. My gums are healthy and both my dentist and periodontist praise me when I visit them on a rotating quarterly basis for follow-up visits. In fact yesterday I had an appointment with my periodontist for my regular three-month cleaning and evaluation, which brings me to the topic of my post.

The dental hygienist that cleaned my teeth was a lady in her forties. She had the most beautiful white teeth. Since dentistry was her profession I felt it was okay that I ask her how she got her teeth so white. Her answer was “ear drops”! Ear drops I said… Yes, ear drops!

She told me that the “professional strength” teeth whitening kits use Carbamide Peroxide to whiten teeth and that the store-bought whitening kits mainly use hydrogen peroxide to achieve the whitening affect. Carbamide peroxide is stronger and whitens the teeth faster than the strips do. I’ve learned that most of the professional strength kits use a 10%, 16% or 22% carbamide peroxide gel. She went on to tell me that Auro Ear Drops, which is found in most drug stores, uses 6 ½% carbamide peroxide and is available for about $5.00 for a .75 fluid ounce tube. She said this is what she used to whiten her teeth! Even though the percentage of carbamide peroxide is slightly lower than the 10% concentration normally used, it is still carbamide peroxide and works great to whiten teeth.

I asked her how it tastes and she said it really has very little taste to it and is very easy to use. She said that she didn’t even use the teeth cups (mouth pieces) found in the regular teeth whitening kits but instead just applied a little bit to the upper and lower front teeth and held it in her mouth for as long as she could, which was about fifteen or 20 minutes in most cases. She said that after a while the saliva buildup was the only reason spitting it out. And after spitting it out she said there was really no need to remove the remaining from her mouth because there was no bad taste or anything…in fact she said her mouth felt very clean after using it.

They way she used it was to spread it on her teeth five or six times a day whenever she had the time and swish it around toward the latter stages before spitting it out. She said her teeth started getting visibly whiter after using it just a few times the first day and continued to get whiter and whiter over the next week or so.

I haven’t tried this myself but I probably will because I know my teeth are stained and even the professional cleaning I get every three months doesn’t do much for stained dental enamel. I’m wondering if anyone else has tried this. Like she said, carbamide peroxide is carbamide peroxide! And she’s proof that it works great…

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 11:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User
Re: Teeth Whitening (an alternative product)

What else is in the eye drops though? That is my concern? Something that may not be safe putting on the teeth or even in the mouth. I've heard that carbamide peroxide has to be 16% to acheive whiteness. And how can you hold saliva in your mouth for 15-20 minutes? I have to spit in a few seconds....and if she is holding that in her mouth that long.....the eye drops are just mixing with the saliva.

Last edited by Abbey32; 12-16-2003 at 11:20 PM.

Old 12-17-2003, 01:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Just a little correction....Koot said the dentist used "ear" drops........not "eye" drops. I agree though, who could hold any form of liquid in their mouth for 15-20 mins, no matter how good it taste. Very intersting though!!

Old 12-17-2003, 09:05 AM   #4
(male)

Koot HB User

Yes, it is ear drops, not eye drops.

I bought some and tried it myself. It really doesn't have much of a taste at all and I didn't have a problem leaving it in my mouth for 15 minutes. The consistency of the drops is slightly thick, much like a cooking oil.

When I first applied the thickish drops to my upper and lower front teeth it gave me a slight sensitiviity sensation, like cool water hitting my teeth. Then it began to fizzle just a little. I was able to just leave the drops, for the most part, where I originally applied it on my teeth but after a few minutes the my saliva buildup mixed with the drops...and I just held it around the front part of my mouth as if I was puckering my mouth. Toward the latter stages I swished it around for the remaining few minutes I held it in my mouth. There is no doubt that the spaces between the teeth will get whitened as well as all the teeth in your mouth...unlike when using the strips as I have been told. The drops actually leaves your mouth with a fresh feeling and taste.

I'll continue to use it and let you know what results I see. It will be interesting...especially since the tip [to use this product containing carbamide peroxide] came from a dental professional who used it successfully herself.

PS - I was told that the other vehicle (Anhydrous Glycerin) in the product, along with the 6 1/2% carbamide peroxide, was nothing that I should be concerned about putting in my mouth and that it was basically an inert agent that would cause no harm whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B
Just a little correction....Koot said the dentist used "ear" drops........not "eye" drops. I agree though, who could hold any form of liquid in their mouth for 15-20 mins, no matter how good it taste. Very intersting though!!

Last edited by Koot; 12-18-2003 at 11:05 AM.

Old 12-18-2003, 09:50 AM   #5
(male)

Koot HB User

You people need to try this! It works great!!!

I had a crown put on about six months ago and chose a color that was two to three shades whiter than my other teeth because I had plans to eventually have my dentist professionally whiten my teeth. The dentist suggested that he could whiten my teeth to match the whiter crown so that is why I chose the whiter crown...and the crown is not seen when I smile since it's a molar. Well, let me tell you...

The Carbamide Peroxide ear drops really work...just like the dental hygienist said it would...and was proven by the looks of her teeth. My capped molar, which "was" two or three shades whiter than my other teeth is now at least two shades darker! The color of my cap has turned out to be a great reference color to determine what the Carbamide Peroxide is really doing. Amazing!!!

Last edited by Koot; 12-18-2003 at 09:50 AM.

Old 12-18-2003, 10:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

Wow this is really interesting! I want to try it!

Old 12-18-2003, 10:58 AM   #7
(male)

Koot HB User

In my last post I meant to tell how many times I have applied the drops on my teeth. I'm guessing I've done it 16 to 20 times...keeping it in my mouth for anywhere from 15 minutes down to only five minutes. A few times I had to answer a phone call, etc.

This morning I put some on my teeth and drove to work, which takes about 15 minutes...spitting it out into a trash can in the parking garage when I arrived. What's nice about it is you don't even need a mirror or to teeth cups...and it whitens all your (natural) teeth. And for only $5!!! By the way, the .75 fluid ounce tube must have enough in it for probably 50 to 100 "treatments"...

Last edited by Koot; 12-18-2003 at 11:08 AM.

Old 12-18-2003, 12:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

I'm going to try it even though I have Opalessence. I do have the teeth trays which were made by the dentist's lab. My question is - have you had any sensitivity issues?

Old 12-18-2003, 12:45 PM   #9
(male)

Koot HB User

When I first apply the drops to my front teeth I sense a slight amount of sensitivity sensation but nothing that causes me to consider it painful at all. My teeth are moderately sensitive to cold (drinks, etc.) and the drops are nowhere near anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawbuck44
I'm going to try it even though I have Opalessence. I do have the teeth trays which were made by the dentist's lab. My question is - have you had any sensitivity issues?

Old 12-18-2003, 06:26 PM   #10
Veteran

robste HB User

Wow...this sounds great! I will definitely have to try this. I purchased a (professional) bleaching kit from my dentist's office about three years ago, and had the custom-made upper and lower plastic mouthpieces made. Instead of buying more gel tubes for $75.00, I'll try the ear drops instead, and I'll just use the mouthpiece(s) so that my saliva doesn't dilute the drops. I have to go to the drugstore tomorrow anyway, so I'll see if I can find the ear drops, and I'll let ya'll know if I see results. Thanks so much for letting us all know about this!

Old 12-19-2003, 05:40 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I used this once this morning for 45 minutes with my tray. The amount of whitening is equal to wearing my tray with Opalessence overnight! And, so far I have no sensitivity. I am going to do this again for 15 minutes later today and will check in again. It doesn't taste any different than the whitening gel either.

Old 12-19-2003, 05:44 AM   #12
(male)

Koot HB User

I'm glad you're seeing the same whitening results that I have. From what I've read the stronger 10%, 16% and 22% carbamide peroxide that is used in the professional kits is what gives most people a problem with the sensitivity issue. I like the fact that the ear drops only have 6 1/2% carbamide peroxide. It may take a little longer to reach teh desired whitening results but without the painful sensitivity issue. And all for only $5!

Keep us informed on the continued results...

Last edited by Koot; 12-19-2003 at 05:47 AM.

Old 12-19-2003, 08:33 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

sawbuck44

I also have a tray from my denists for professional whitening and I want to try this. Did you just pour the drops into your tray? Isn't it too liquidy for the trays? Or does it stick to the right places on the tray??

Old 12-19-2003, 01:01 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

It is very liquidy. I don't know how you can keep it on your teeth without a tray! Just don't put too much in the tray. It will fizz up all over your teeth.

Old 12-19-2003, 01:21 PM   #15
(male)

Koot HB User

Yes, it is rather liquidy yet I have no problem holding it in my mouth for up to 15 to 20 minutes. I just lock my throat and pooch out my lips and I'm okay.

Even if you are unable to hold it for 15 mintues the drops are so inexpensive that you can use new drops as often as you want. Only $5 for that large tube goes a long way...

Good luck!

Closed Thread