It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2004, 06:17 AM   #1

Aditi HB User
what is the best home chemical peel/microdermabraison kids

Has anyone tried either the home chemical peels and microdermabraisen kits? If so what brands worked the best and is one method better than the other?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 07:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User
Re: what is the best home chemical peel/microdermabraison kids

I use both. I have a Dermanew home microdermabrasion machine that I use with Aromaleigh's microdermabrasion cream once a week. I also use a 30% glycolic peel once a week (for 6 weeks, then off 2 weeks, on 6 weeks, etc.) - the kind I use doesn't have a brand name & I can't list the site (but it's definitely the least expensive I've found, plus they offer free shipping) - all I can say is do a google search (and remember what Dorothy said in the Wizard of Oz - Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore! LOL!)...

Oh, I forgot to answer the second question -
I would say of the two, you get faster & more dramatic results with the glycolic peel. But I like to use both because the microdermabrasion gets rid of any *flakies* from the peel - so they work well together. I do the peel on Sunday & the microdermabrasion on Tuesday or Wednesday - whenever I notice flakes (and I don't get flakes everytime - but I do the microdermabrasion once a week anyway).

Last edited by Blue-eyedBelle; 03-25-2004 at 07:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 07:52 AM   #3

Aditi HB User

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that I have 50 year old skin. so it's thinning...and flakey AND oily. Would any of these procedures make anything worse?

[

Old 03-25-2004, 09:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditi
Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that I have 50 year old skin. so it's thinning...and flakey AND oily. Would any of these procedures make anything worse?

[
Actually, it would probably help. Just read up on the glycolic peels - you want to start out slowly. Better to take 6-9 months to get results with a 30% peel than to attempt a 70% peel (at first anyway) and get a severe burn.

Old 03-25-2004, 05:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

I've never tried a peel but I do use Philosophy's Microdermabrasion scrub and daily facial and love it!! Look in your search or QVC sells it too. Called the greastest love and great mystery. I do believe they have a peel as well from that company but it is a little expensive so I have not tried it yet. I agree, takes away flakes, dryness and makes your skin glow a little more.

Old 03-25-2004, 06:03 PM   #6

FaerieStars HB User

I use Philosophys microdermabrating scrub. It's nothing like microdemabrasion. It's just a sugar scrub that you use on dry, and has oils in it to make your skin soft. It's nice, but not really microdermabrating. Clinique has a scrub that has a tinier scruby things in it which is more similar to microdermabrasion. I actually think the microdermabrasion might make my skin worse or something. I scrub because the texture of my skin really sucks, it's just kinda bumpy. But the stuff that's deep in my skin might be showing more, like the broken vessels and stuff. I'm a srub addict though!

Old 03-25-2004, 07:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerieStars
I use Philosophys microdermabrating scrub. It's nothing like microdemabrasion. It's just a sugar scrub that you use on dry, and has oils in it to make your skin soft. It's nice, but not really microdermabrating. Clinique has a scrub that has a tinier scruby things in it which is more similar to microdermabrasion. I actually think the microdermabrasion might make my skin worse or something. I scrub because the texture of my skin really sucks, it's just kinda bumpy. But the stuff that's deep in my skin might be showing more, like the broken vessels and stuff. I'm a srub addict though!
Why would you think microdermabrasion would make your skin worse? And in what way? If you have broken vessels & you're scrubbing a lot - you may be making them worse/making more of them. If your skin has a bumpy texture, a glycolic peel might be more helpful.

Old 03-25-2004, 07:36 PM   #8

FaerieStars HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-eyedBelle
Why would you think microdermabrasion would make your skin worse? And in what way? If you have broken vessels & you're scrubbing a lot - you may be making them worse/making more of them. If your skin has a bumpy texture, a glycolic peel might be more helpful.
I'm a little scared of a glycolic peel, I'm only 20 and I thought it would be bad for young skin. My mother went to have some peel done at the dermatologist and her skin was all red and burnt-like for days. I don't want anything like that. And having flakes and peeling? It scares me waaaaay too much. What I think might be happening is that my uneven skintone comes from the deeper skin layers, and not from the surface dead layers which might shield it or something. It sounds kind of silly, but I do have pale skin that shows veins and such. I dont use microdermabrasion often, but I do scrub once a day. If I don't, my makeup doesn't go on right and my skin feels dirty.

Old 03-25-2004, 07:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerieStars
I'm a little scared of a glycolic peel, I'm only 20 and I thought it would be bad for young skin. My mother went to have some peel done at the dermatologist and her skin was all red and burnt-like for days. I don't want anything like that. And having flakes and peeling? It scares me waaaaay too much. What I think might be happening is that my uneven skintone comes from the deeper skin layers, and not from the surface dead layers which might shield it or something. It sounds kind of silly, but I do have pale skin that shows veins and such. I dont use microdermabrasion often, but I do scrub once a day. If I don't, my makeup doesn't go on right and my skin feels dirty.
Wow - first of all it sounds like your mom's dermatologist let her get a burn. When I do a peel, my face is slightly pink for about 30 minutes afterward. Then occasionally I might have some mild flaking, which is easily removed with the microdermabrasion - but I don't even have the flaking every time. It doesn't have to flake to be working! And you face should never look red or burnt. And the glycolic acid does penetrate the skin whereas microdermabrasion only deals with the surface.

Also, scrubbing once a day is probably doing more damage to your skin than helping it. You should only do a scrub once or twice a week at the most. What do you mean, your skin feels dirty? It sounds like maybe you don't have the right products for your skin.

Old 03-26-2004, 06:20 AM   #10

Aditi HB User

Is 10% glycolic acid a safe amount to start out with? My face is a little sensitive since I am older now.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:57 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditi
Is 10% glycolic acid a safe amount to start out with? My face is a little sensitive since I am older now.
I'm sure 10% is quite safe - you probably won't see much results though. I'd go with at least a 15% or 30%. I have very sensitive skin & I started with 30%. You do a patch test first, then if you're okay, you start out by only leaving it on for 1 minute. Then you increase by 1 minute each week. I would just buy a sample size until you see which works best.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #12

google2007 HB User

I ordered the 30% glycolic peel other day. I just cant wait to get it. Does any one have any tips or suggestions for when I start using it? I have been using the new avon peel , which is just 10% glycolic acid. That dont even make my skin tingle, so I dont think it is doing much. All so ordered some sample sizes of emul oil and glycolic cream. Any one ever tried these? If so , what do you think of them?

Old 03-27-2004, 09:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by google2007
I ordered the 30% glycolic peel other day. I just cant wait to get it. Does any one have any tips or suggestions for when I start using it? I have been using the new avon peel , which is just 10% glycolic acid. That dont even make my skin tingle, so I dont think it is doing much. All so ordered some sample sizes of emul oil and glycolic cream. Any one ever tried these? If so , what do you think of them?
You should start by doing a patch test - even though you've been using a 10% peel. You should cleanse a spot on your neck, dry, then put on some glycolic acid about the size of a quarter - leave it on for 1 minute - then rinse well. Wait 24 hrs. - if no reaction, you're okay to start.

Your acid should come with instructions - but basically, you do a peel once a week for 6 weeks, then nothing for 2 weeks, then peel for 6 weeks, and so on. You start by leaving the acid on for 1 minute the first week, 2 minutes the second week, 3 minutes the third week, and on up to six minutes for the sixth week. Then when you start your second set of peels, you can start out at 6 minutes, and each week add 1 minute up to a max of 10-12 minutes. Of course, this is assuming that you have no problems.

You have to be sure to wear a sunscreen while using glycolic acid, but you should be doing that daily anyway.

I apply Skin Biology's CP serum after a peel - it helps the skin regenerate. Then I apply a thin layer of emu oil. I use emu oil daily, but I dilute it with a little distilled water that has a touch of essential oil in it.

And remember - there doesn't have to be flaking for the peel to be working. The acid penetrates your skin, so the changes can be happening where you can't see them. The CP serum pretty much keeps me from flaking.

Old 03-29-2004, 06:14 PM   #14

eyeris HB User

Blue eyed Belle -

How do you think these peels and microdermasion routines would work on legs? I have a serious problem with obvious hair follicles on my legs and even when I wax them, I'm left with hairless, but "pitted" looking legs. Any advice on this? Thanks....

Old 03-29-2004, 10:41 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeris
Blue eyed Belle -

How do you think these peels and microdermasion routines would work on legs? I have a serious problem with obvious hair follicles on my legs and even when I wax them, I'm left with hairless, but "pitted" looking legs. Any advice on this? Thanks....
Hmm - I'm not sure. I know that the peels can be useful for acne scars, stretch marks, etc., but I'm mot sure if it would actually change a hair follicle. Maybe you could check with one of the websites that sell the peels.

Closed Thread