It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2004, 10:02 PM   #1
(female)

ScoobyDoo HB User
Question What is the BEST outdoor tanning lotion?????

Ok, Im looking to get a great tan this summer. I cannot find a great outdoor tanning lotion. Any suggestions???

Would be greatly appriciated......thanks

Old 03-27-2004, 12:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: What is the BEST outdoor tanning lotion?????

Use a good sunscreen. You will still tan.

The latest news, incase you haven't heard for the past 30 years at least, is that excessive suntanning causes premature aging and cancer.

A risk you may regret.

In the late 60's there were tanning competitions of concoctions using iodine, baby oil...etc. We basically fried ourselves. I may yet find out the consequences of my actions during those years.

Make good decisions because you will thank yourself when you're older.

Been there,
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2004, 02:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

I like Banana Boat Dark Tanning Oil Spray.

Old 03-27-2004, 07:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo
Ok, Im looking to get a great tan this summer. I cannot find a great outdoor tanning lotion. Any suggestions???

Anything with at least an SPF 15 and that blocks both UVA & UVB rays. My personal favorite is Ocean Potion oil-free.

BTW - I have 2 sisters who both were and still are avid sun-worshippers - I never could get a tan, so I gave up a long time ago. One of my sisters is 6 years younger than me, the other is 12 years younger than me. I have been mistaken for being the youngest of the 3 many times. Just something to think about...

Old 03-27-2004, 08:33 AM   #5

sidnee74 HB User

Whether you wrinkle or not with sun exposure has to have something to do with your genes - my father in law has tanned his entire adult life and looks great at 51!

I don't tan super easily but had good results with NO-AD Australian style Dark Tanning Glitter Gel. And it looks pretty on, too.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidnee74
Whether you wrinkle or not with sun exposure has to have something to do with your genes - my father in law has tanned his entire adult life and looks great at 51!
I'm sure genetics plays a part, but it doesn't change the fact that tanned skin is damaged skin. My dh is Italian and even with using a 30 SPF that blocks both UVA & UVB rays & minimizing sun exposure, he still gets pretty dark - of course it's genetic. But at least he is doing everything he can to minimize the damage done by sun exposure.

Old 03-27-2004, 09:21 AM   #7
(female)

SweetPuff HB User

I've always loved Hawaiian Tropic Dark tanning lotion..spf 4 or 6 .... and a higher one on my face... although a 15 or more would be better to prevent ageing.

Old 03-27-2004, 12:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

I didn't know you could get a tan with a SFP. Interesting. How is that?

Old 03-27-2004, 01:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey32
I didn't know you could get a tan with a SFP. Interesting. How is that?
Because an SPF only blocks part of the rays - the lower the SPF, the less protection it affords.

SPF Number x Time to Burn Without Sun Protection = Time to Burn while wearing sunscreen

Example: If your skin would burn in 10 minutes in the afternoon sun without any sun protection, and you applied a sunscreen with an SPF 15, you would have 15 x 10 = 150 minutes (2.5 hours) before you would burn.

Percentage of Protection from damaging UV rays:
SPF 15 = 92%
SPF 30 = 97%
SPF 40 = 97.5%

All sunscreens protect from UVB rays, but only “Broad-Spectrum” sunscreens protect from both UVB and UVA rays. UVB rays affect the top layers of the skin and are responsible for burning. UVA rays affect the lower layers of the skin and are responsible for aging.

Old 03-28-2004, 01:35 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

Woh, weird. Learn something new everyday So, what would you suggest for a deep dark tan? What brand or what SPF? My Banana Boat deep tanning oil says SPF 4.

Old 03-28-2004, 07:49 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

I not going to suggest anything for a deep dark tan because that would be like me contributing to the aging & damaging of your skin. ANY tan is damaged skin. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion for you.

Old 03-29-2004, 04:22 PM   #12

boaz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo

Eurotan!!!!!!!!!

I've never had a tan in my life until 2 years ago I discovered this stuff...It's great!! I'm pretty fair skinned, and i started easy but this stuff is great!!!! It comes in either lotion or a spray. It has a picture of a womans neck with a big jeweled necklace being removed showing her awesome tan!!

Closed Thread