It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 12:19 PM   #1
Veteran

robste HB User
Help! My Nails Are So Thin They Bend & Rip

I've worn artificial nails and/or acrylic nails for about two years non-stop. Although they look great, I'll be going in the hospital soon for surgery, and may remove the artificial nails & attempt to let my own nails grow out.

The problem is that my own natural nails are now paper-thin and very, very short, in fact, they are so thin & short, it almost looks like I don't have any nails. The end of my nails (what there is of them) get caught on everything material, and they are so thin, the ends bend if I touch anything, and they also rip easily.

Are there any products like nail hardeners or polish to use on natural nails to help thicken & strengthen them...specifically made for women who have very,very thin nails like those of us who have taken off our acrylics or artificial nails?

I've used NailTiques in the past, but I'd like to find something a little less expensive,but that works well.

I'm assuming I'll have to let my entire nail(s) grow out before the nails themselves will be thicker, right?

Old 04-14-2004, 12:31 PM   #2
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User
Re: Help! My Nails Are So Thin They Bend & Rip

I would suggest you try Nail Envy by OPI. It is an awesome product. It is a clear polish and works as a nail strengthener/hardener. I have alot of clients that have used this and love it, and have used it on my own nails as well. I am a nail biter so I have very weak, almost non-existant nails as well. It is about $6.00 a bottle but is well worth it.

About letting your nails grow out in order for them to be thicker, I don't think you're nails will grow much UNTIL you begin to strengthen them. Especially if they rip and tear on clothing, etc. I would suggest you try this product and begin using it asap, because once your nails begin to strengthen, they will grow longer and stronger. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I like Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. I've had my acrylic nails for about 1 1/2 years and I'm getting them taken off tomorrow (I'm just getting tired of them) so I plan to start using Hard as Nails again.

Old 04-14-2004, 01:01 PM   #4
Veteran

producttramp HB User

I agree-OPI Nail Envy is the ONE. I used this for my wedding (and my hands took at beating at the time, I worked in a spa then) and this product helped grow them nice. Nail Envy worked great for me and was my top recommended product for nails. I also like poshe 4 in 1 basecoat once they are healthy but nothing helped me grow my weak, chippy splitty nails like Nail Envy. I didnt get as good of results from nailtiques products as Nail Envy.

Old 04-14-2004, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran

robste HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falynsmommy
I would suggest you try Nail Envy by OPI. It is an awesome product. It is a clear polish and works as a nail strengthener/hardener. I have alot of clients that have used this and love it, and have used it on my own nails as well. I am a nail biter so I have very weak, almost non-existant nails as well. It is about $6.00 a bottle but is well worth it.

About letting your nails grow out in order for them to be thicker, I don't think you're nails will grow much UNTIL you begin to strengthen them. Especially if they rip and tear on clothing, etc. I would suggest you try this product and begin using it asap, because once your nails begin to strengthen, they will grow longer and stronger. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. about Nail Envy (OPI). It sounds like it's a popular choice among both of you "experts", lol. Believe me, $6.00 a bottle is a lot less than what NailTiques costs in the drugstore...NailTiques is something like $17.00 a bottle for the kind for previous acrylic nail wearers (and it's a very small bottle). I have used OPI's colored nailpolish before, and I really like it, so I will have to try the Nail Envy.

I just hate having my nails look short & ugly until they grow out ...I want to hide my hands! I guess that's the price you pay when you remove the beautiful artificial ones though.

Old 04-14-2004, 07:25 PM   #6
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

No problem robste. Glad we could help. I think you'll be happy with the results you get from the Nail Envy. As for having your nails look not so good for now, there's not a whole lot you can do. I would just suggest you keep the Nail Envy on them, and maybe apply light, spring color polishes to them to give them more of a dressed up look. Just make sure you use the Nail Envy under the polish, because it also acts as a base coat. The lighter spring colors won't attract as much attention as the bolder colors, yet will make you feel better as they will look nicer. Also, another suggestion is to get regular manicures if time and money allow it. This will keep them in shape while you grow them out. Good luck with your nails and with your surgery.

Old 04-15-2004, 08:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Help! My Nails Are So Thin They Bend & Rip

I just had to post when I read this. I love Nail-Tek, my nails are great, mu polish stays on for three weeks. It is the greatest thing I have ever used for my nails. I use one coat on the bottom and two thin coats on top of color.

Yes, it is like $18.00 in Salleys or where you find it. But if you like it, look it up on the net and you get it for $7.00 I think. I was so excited I bought a bunch for my friends cause they love it too. What a markup on that!! I just thought I would pass this along.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:09 AM   #8
Veteran

robste HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine12
I just had to post when I read this. I love Nail-Tek, my nails are great, mu polish stays on for three weeks. It is the greatest thing I have ever used for my nails. I use one coat on the bottom and two thin coats on top of color.

Yes, it is like $18.00 in Salleys or where you find it. But if you like it, look it up on the net and you get it for $7.00 I think. I was so excited I bought a bunch for my friends cause they love it too. What a markup on that!! I just thought I would pass this along.
Sunshine, thanks for joining in on this topic I originally posted! It sounds like you're a Nail-Tek fan! Are your nails naturally thin? Does the Nail-Tek make them thicker and less rippable? (sp?-not sure that's a word!)

It sounds like it works wonders for keeping your nailpolish from chipping...wow, three weeks is a long time!

Sounds like there is a huge markup pricewise on these items...too bad I'm banned (by my husband, lol) from purchasing anything with a credit card on the net! (lol, I kinda went on a little spending spree lately & just put my credit cards in a block of ice in the freezer!)

Can you get Nail-Tek just at Sally's, or have you ever seen it at any drugstore?

Old 04-15-2004, 04:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thumbs up Re: Help! My Nails Are So Thin They Bend & Rip

Robste,
Well if I was married my husband would say the same! LOL But this way I have no one to blame but me.
I love nail tek, I first used it about 5 years ago at a salon. Then I had a frind who got it upnorth at a beauty supply house so I always had het get me two bottles when she went. Been laid off her too so I looked in stores. I saw it in Eckerds, but only twice and only a few bottles $19.00. One of the Salleys had it also $18.00. As much as I love it, I am not shelling out a bill for polish.

I just happen to put it in search and Bingo there it was and I was estatic. I wish I could order it for you and send it too you! But we can't can't communicate other then on here.
My nails were peeling for some reason and right hand always broke. Now they are like steel. I also take a lot of vitamins but I swear this helped my nails 100%. The fact that my manicure stays on is the best but again I wear light colors as I hate for nails to turn dark as with dark colors. I would sell this stuff myself if I could. Maybe you can ask hubby to get it for you on
Moms day or BD or something! I hope you get it somehow cause it does help weak nails. If not, prenatal vitamins always made my nails and hair grow also.
I can't take them now too much iron and I had a hystorectomy and you can't take iron after that. Good luck, let me know if I can help.

Old 04-16-2004, 01:46 PM   #10
Veteran

robste HB User

Maybe you can ask hubby to get it for you on
Moms day or BD or something! I hope you get it somehow cause it does help weak nails. If not, prenatal vitamins always made my nails and hair grow also.
I can't take them now too much iron and I had a hystorectomy and you can't take iron after that. Good luck, let me know if I can help. [/QUOTE]

Sunshine, I hope you see my message here...you're definitely an for wishing you could send me some Nail-Tek! The stuff does sound great. I'll have to try it when I get back to working fulltime again and have more $ to spend on cosmetics and nail products.

I just had to write back about your last comment quoted above, it really "hit home" for me. Yes, I'm married, but I don't have any kids...no Mom's Day Nail-Tek gift for me! To make things even more ironic, my mother passed away eleven years ago, so I've always had a tough time on Mom's Day since. To make it all worse, Mother's Day just happens to fall on May 9th this year...which is my 45th birthday! And, if that's not enough, to top it all off, I'm having a hysterectomy towards the end of this month. I didn't write this to make you feel bad or sorry for me, I'm really an optomistic person! It's just that this is all too ironic and strange! Oh, by the way, I didn't realize you couldn't take iron after having a hysterectomy...I have iron deficiency anemia & have been taking iron supplements for about six months. Hopefully after my hysterectomy, I won't be anemic anymore! Sorry, I guess I'm getting off the nailpolish & cosmetics topic here. -Robin

Old 04-17-2004, 07:28 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Robste,
I just saw this tonight. Gee, now I really feel bad. Well, I would send it if I had a way. So sorry about your mom, it is tough when they go, you just always have a question to ask and can't. I lost my mom way to early.

Well, maybe your birthday would work. I do love NailTek I swear by it, yet I have a friend just one who used it and said it didn't work on her like it did on me. But everyone else loves it and even if they don't, I do and it works and it is cheap on line. I take a lot of b vitamins cause I am a diabetic, and try to keep immune system up. Well, not a lot, I take a good b complex every day.

Well at least you can spell it right Hysterectomy (there) thank you! I had mine 8 years ago when we had hurricane Andrew! I was about 2weeks into
healing and I had panels to put up! Think I suffer now because of that. I did get help though. I had Fibroids and it was just too painful. I think that was the downfall of my skin problems like about 3 years later.
Your gonna be 45, your a young woman, don't be so down. I am 58 I would love to be 45, heck, I would love 50 again. At least I was healthy then. Lol

The thing about the iron, I always took prenatal vitamins cause it helped my hair and nails. About a year later after the operation, my Doc said my iron was high, I never said anything at the time. I saw in the Prevention magazine this article about not taking iron after a hysterectomy so I stopped the prenatal vitamins. I forgot why now, maybe someone here would know.
In your case I don't know what you do. As far as the operation, they talked me into having it done vaginally, it would be easier and heal faster etc.
My advice from one woman to another, DON"T do it vaginally. Live with the scar, you will be much happier. Just my female opinion from experience.
Ok, how do we get you the nail tek?? You will have all the time in the world while healing to make your nails beautiful..And hopefully you will feel better, just too much right now. We all have times like this I think. Well, I hope you see this, when are you having the operation? I know you will be fine. But you need long strong nails!!Hey, your hubby can do this as a pre opt present!!

Old 04-18-2004, 01:09 PM   #12
Veteran

robste HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine12
Hi Robste,
I just saw this tonight. Gee, now I really feel bad. Well, I would send it if I had a way. So sorry about your mom, it is tough when they go, you just always have a question to ask and can't. I lost my mom way to early.

Well, maybe your birthday would work. I do love NailTek I swear by it, yet I have a friend just one who used it and said it didn't work on her like it did on me. But everyone else loves it and even if they don't, I do and it works and it is cheap on line. I take a lot of b vitamins cause I am a diabetic, and try to keep immune system up. Well, not a lot, I take a good b complex every day.

Well at least you can spell it right Hysterectomy (there) thank you! I had mine 8 years ago when we had hurricane Andrew! I was about 2weeks into
healing and I had panels to put up! Think I suffer now because of that. I did get help though. I had Fibroids and it was just too painful. I think that was the downfall of my skin problems like about 3 years later.
Your gonna be 45, your a young woman, don't be so down. I am 58 I would love to be 45, heck, I would love 50 again. At least I was healthy then. Lol

The thing about the iron, I always took prenatal vitamins cause it helped my hair and nails. About a year later after the operation, my Doc said my iron was high, I never said anything at the time. I saw in the Prevention magazine this article about not taking iron after a hysterectomy so I stopped the prenatal vitamins. I forgot why now, maybe someone here would know.
In your case I don't know what you do. As far as the operation, they talked me into having it done vaginally, it would be easier and heal faster etc.
My advice from one woman to another, DON"T do it vaginally. Live with the scar, you will be much happier. Just my female opinion from experience.
Ok, how do we get you the nail tek?? You will have all the time in the world while healing to make your nails beautiful..And hopefully you will feel better, just too much right now. We all have times like this I think. Well, I hope you see this, when are you having the operation? I know you will be fine. But you need long strong nails!!Hey, your hubby can do this as a pre opt present!!
Hi Sunshine, thanks so much for your kind posting! Really, I didn't mean to make you feel bad (or for me) because of my posting about Mom's Day, etc. Seems we have some things in common with both losing our mom's too early...my mom was only 73 when she died. And with the hysterectomy thing...wow, you were up and about putting up panels on your house two weeks afterwards? That is probably too soon, but you have to do what you have to do. (I hope your house didn't get damaged by Hurricane Andrew!) I've heard that if you overdo it too soon, then you pay for it later. I have to have an abdominal hysterectomy, because I've never had children...I've heard it takes longer to heal. So that this posting is still cosmetic related & we somewhat stay on the subject of nails...yes, I'll have all kinds of time after my operation to do my nails! Maybe I can even get my hubby to polish my toenails for me then, lol.

I'm sure I'll try the Nail-Tek eventually. I just took off my artificial/acrylic nails,and my natural nails look horrible-I literally want to put gloves on to hide my nails, they are now so short and stubby looking.

Sorry if my last post sounded so down. I'm a very optomistic and hopeful person, I'm just stressed and anxious about my upcoming surgery...it's only about a little over a week away.

Old 04-18-2004, 04:47 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well good luck with your surgery and good idea to have hubby paint your toes! You will be fine.
No damage to my house I live in Broward and it hit Dade really...But yes I should not have lifted anything!! But I did!
You didn't sound down, just a lot going on, it would be expected. I wish you well and know you will be fine!!

Old 05-26-2004, 01:07 PM   #14
(female)

BrendaStar HB User

Try using Nail Defense by Orly. I love it

Old 08-05-2004, 05:59 AM   #15

beverg HB User
Thumbs up Re: Help! My Nails Are So Thin They Bend & Rip

Hi Ladies: QVC sells a product call TIPS which is made by ASK cosmetics in Canada. After purchasing the product I checked out the ingredients and was able to find comprable products at a cheaper price at local stores. I searched message boards and nail techs suggested a product called Solar Oil, which I purchased on Ebay. Botanical Oil was also suggested. I purchaed Botanical Oil by Contours at Sally's Beauty Supply. A 1 fl oz bottle was around seven dollars. The secret to these products is to stregthen the cuticle and nail bed. This will promote a better and stronger nail growth. I found this to be ture with all the products. You must be vigilant in using them several times a day during the first couple weeks. You will then see better cuticles and better looking nails. They both smell very good and you can just rub the remainer in your hands like lotion. After a couple of weeks I saw a considerable difference in my nails. There is no reason to purchase the more expensive TIPS, but rather the other that I suggested. Goos luck and be patient. You will see a difference in just a couple of weeks if you are vigilant in its use. Good Luck

Last edited by beverg; 08-05-2004 at 06:00 AM.

Closed Thread