It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 12:28 PM   #1
Veteran

robste HB User
Question Question Re.Artificial Nails & Surgery

I have artificial nails permanently glued over my own natural nails...they look great, but I have a question for anyone who knows for sure (possibly a nurse or other healthcare professional out there).

I am having surgery in a few weeks. I know that they tell you to remove all nail polish from your nails, but can I keep my artificial or acrylic nails, as long as I remove the nail polish?

Old 04-14-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User
Re: Question Re.Artificial Nails & Surgery

Depends on the doctor/anesthesiologist. I used to wear acrylic nails & at that time, I was scheduled for surgery. I asked the doctor & he told me that I didn't have to remove the polish or the nails BUT if the pulse oximeter wouldn't work correctly on my finger, they WOULD remove at least one acrylic nail during surgery. But then, I've also seen anesthesiologists tell patients that they absolutely had to remove the polish & at least one nail (I am a nurse).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2004, 02:11 PM   #3
Veteran

robste HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-eyedBelle
Depends on the doctor/anesthesiologist. I used to wear acrylic nails & at that time, I was scheduled for surgery. I asked the doctor & he told me that I didn't have to remove the polish or the nails BUT if the pulse oximeter wouldn't work correctly on my finger, they WOULD remove at least one acrylic nail during surgery. But then, I've also seen anesthesiologists tell patients that they absolutely had to remove the polish & at least one nail (I am a nurse).
Blue, thanks so much for the information! I had a D&C about a month ago, and for that they told me to remove my nailpolish, but didn't say I had to remove my artificial nails, so I kept them on. When I woke up from the anesthesia, I still had all 10 nails on, lol. I have to have a hysterectomy soon, and I didn't know if the policy varied depending on the type of surgery...I know that probably seems like a funny statement to you, since you're a nurse! To be on the safe side, I'll probably remove my nailpolish, and maybe just take off one artificial nail for the pulse oximeter....does it matter which nail or which hand? (lots of weird questions I'm asking today, huh?) -Robin

Old 04-14-2004, 03:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

You might want to just check with the doctor. And it wasn't a silly question at all! They usually put the pulse oximeter on the index finger, and it would probably be on the hand that's not on the side where the doctor is standing. :-)

Old 04-14-2004, 06:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lindao1 HB User

Hi there!

Blue is correct. It could interfere with the dr. checking your 02 sats with the pulse oximeter. Years ago, we did tell patients to remove their nailpolish and/or one nail as the sensors were very picky. Now, it really depends on your doctor or anesthesiologist. I've seen numerous surgeries where it didn't matter at all. I even had two surgeries last year, one a brain surgery (real dangerous surgery) and one a neck surgery, and I didn't have to do anything different. I thought for sure with the brain surgery, I would not be able to keep mine on. But I did keep them on and the polish too! Even in ICU! In critical situations, we've even put the sensors on a patient's toe or ear. So there are other possibilities. Just listen to what your dr. suggests. You may be OK with all of them on! Take care, Linda

Last edited by lindao1; 04-14-2004 at 06:52 PM.

Old 04-23-2004, 10:39 AM   #6
Veteran

robste HB User

Hi everyone...I went to the hospital this morning for my pre-op testing, and I got to meet with a nurse who went over some procedures with me. I asked her about keeping artificial nails or acrylic nails on during surgery, and she said that I would have to remove my artificial nails. They don't allow any artificial or acrylic nails at all, and no nail polish either, not even clear. I guess it's a good thing I went ahead & removed the artificial nails a few days ago. I'm using a good nail strengthener (Nailtiques), because now I have next to no nails and they are so thin. I hate the look of my stubby nails now, but I hope I can grow them out successfully while I'm recouperating at home after surgery.

Old 04-23-2004, 11:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Yeah, it's just better to ask, because all hospitals are different - and some are more lenient with the rules. When I had the surgery I mentioned in my earlier post, it just happened that I knew the surgeon well (I worked on the unit where his patients were), so that may have had something to do with the fact that he let me keep my nails & polish.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:39 PM   #8

FaerieStars HB User

I just learned about pulse oximeters this week. You can put it on so the sensors go through the side of your finger instead of the top and the bottom. This way any polish won't interfere.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-23-2004 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 04-24-2004, 04:09 AM   #9
Veteran

robste HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerieStars
I just learned about pulse oximeters this week. You can put it on so the sensors go through the side of your finger instead of the top and the bottom. This way any polish won't interfere.
Lolol...we'll do anything to keep our nailpolish on, right? Seriously though, I guess each hospital and/or surgeon have their own policy. The hospital I'll be going to doesn't allow anything at all...even if you have acrylic over your natural nails, you'd have to remove it, and no nail polish is allowed...not even clear. ( naked nails!) -Robin

Closed Thread