It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2004, 11:44 AM   #1
(female)

Solange1965 HB User
Confused about OPI Nail Envy directions>>>

After reading how many use OPI Nail Envy Strengthener Maximum Strength Formula, I purchased some for my own terrible nails. I know this is going to sound dumb, but the directions are to apply 2 coats for each nail to start and then one coat every other day for a week. Then remove with OPI Polish Remover.

Well when do I apply the polish...on the off day that I am not applying the Nail Envy? If I am putting a coat of it on every other day, plus the coat of polish once, that's alot of coats of stuff on the nails...am I reading this right?
And I don't have the OPI Polish Remover, can any other brand be used?
Thanks....Solange

Old 04-21-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
Veteran

producttramp HB User
Re: Confused about OPI Nail Envy directions>>>

Yes, its a lot of coats!
Non OPI remover can be used.
Apply the 2 coats like basecoat, then apply polish. Apply the Nail Envy like a top coat every other day. It helps keep polish on plus strengthens them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Hi Solange. The instructions are just there for a guideline. Kind of like when the shampoo bottle tells you to wash, rinse, repeat. Most companies will tell you to use a more than is really necessary amount of their product so that you will run out faster and go buy more. Nail Envy can be used as a base coat and a nail strengthener. If you were a client of mine, I would tell you to use it on your nails every day, especially if you are trying to strengthen your nails. Also use it as a base coat every time you apply polish. This protects your natural nails and also strengthens them. 1 to 2 coats of Nail Envy, when used by itself, will be sufficient, and 1 coat when used with polish is what I recommend. Also, don't forget to remove any and all polish every few days for awhile to let your nails breathe. Any polish remover is fine to use. It does not have to be the OPI brand.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:31 PM   #4
(female)

Solange1965 HB User

Oh thank you, thank you...see, when someone explains it the way you both did, I understand right away.

Someone recommended using a 3 way nail buffer, something I have never done, just the usual emory file. When I remove any polish off my nails they do look so dry. I usually put some jojoba oil on them for about 10 minutes, then soak them in warm soapy water for about 5 minutes. I thoroughly rinse them and dry before applying polish. I must be wasting my time with that oil because after washing the nail looks so dry all over again. I know it's not good to put polish on top of moisturized nails. Any suggestions as to dealing with this...My nail problem has gotten terrible since going on thyroid meds about a year ago which dried hair, nails and skin. The jojoba oil and Cetaphil Cleanser and Moisturizer has saved my skin but that's about all....
Thanks so much....Solange

Old 04-21-2004, 02:49 PM   #5
Veteran

producttramp HB User

Yeah, Oiling then washing it off probably defeats the purpose.
When I did nails, we used the soapy water, then went over the nail with remover again before applying polish. It removes any (including soap) residue and slightly dehydrates the nail so when polish is applied it stuck better.
I use a 3 way buffer about 1x a month to smooth out ridges, etc. The main thing is to do it gentle or you will remove too much of the nail and make it weak/thin. Just a little to get the circ. going and smooth it out a little should be good.
Try the Nail Envy for a week or two, then give your nails a breather and then remove it, the apply just the oil a few times a day to see if that can help with moisturizing the nail and cuticle. I dont like to file or buff before soaking b/c water can seep in and create further splitting. It is only my opinion on that but it worked for me.

Old 04-21-2004, 03:37 PM   #6

FaerieStars HB User

I love buffing my nails. I shouldn't so much because they are really thin, but they look so nice and shiny!

Just a question for anyone using nail envy: do you find it peels off your nails? Especially with all those coats? I find that nailpolish peels off me easily, especially when there's a lot of coats and especially any clear polish (which usually is some special stuff to strengthen or grow my nails).
Thanks!

Old 04-21-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

FaerieStars,

I have never seen or heard of Nail Envy peeling off nails. If your nails are too moisturized, like producttramp said, polish won't stick to them, so rub a little remover over them before you polish with any polish, color or clear. Also, if you use too many coats of polish, it makes it too thick and can make the polish peel.

Solange,

There is a product called Solar Oil that is for cuticles. I use it on the entire fingernail including the cuticle and surrounding skin. It is an awesome product to heal dry cuticles and also makes the nail and skin soft and shiny. When I have clients with dry, peeling nails and cuticles, I use this product with a 3 way buffer (the very smooth part) and buff the oil into the nail. It makes the nails look like they have a nice clear polish on them, but is a bit of a healthier option.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2004, 08:26 AM   #8
(female)

Solange1965 HB User

I will shop for the Solar Oil, sounds like it would be excellent for my dry nails..one more question. With the buffer, do you buff in the direction of cuticle to tip or across? I read you buff in the direction of any ridges...but not sure which is right....thanks....again!
Solange

Old 04-22-2004, 08:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falynsmommy
There is a product called Solar Oil that is for cuticles. I use it on the entire fingernail including the cuticle and surrounding skin. It is an awesome product to heal dry cuticles and also makes the nail and skin soft and shiny.
I used to love using Solar Oil! I used it all the time when I had acrylic nails. Isn't it almond & jojoba oil? I can't remember the ingredients, but I remember that I loved the smell! And it made my cuticles really soft. I have some sweet almond & jojoba oil here, maybe I can make my own!

Old 04-22-2004, 12:00 PM   #10
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Solange,

I've always buffed across the nail. As long as you are using the very smooth part of the buffer it will be okay, because all you are doing is buffing the oil into the nail. Even when using the rougher side of a buffer or file, I was taught to buff across the nail. Just don't be too rough, like producttramp said, because it can make your nails even weaker.

Closed Thread