It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 07:18 AM   #1
(female)

Jo-chan HB User
How to get rid of brassiness in highlights?

Hi all,

I've recently had my hair highlighted and I'm struggling to get the color right. My hair is naturally dark brown and I asked for carmel & light blond highlights, and the first time my stylist tried, she didn't give me enough of the lighter color around my face, so I went to see her a second time.

She brought out some swatches of hair and asked me to pick what color I'd like for the ligher highlights and we both agreed on a light beige, which we tested by holding up to my hair. It looked great, so she foiled my hair again and now I have more lighter highlights around my face, but...that light beige color is nowhere to be seen. Instead, the highlights are orangey and brassy - not flattering on me at all.

I'm hesitant to go back to her yet AGAIN, so is there anything I can do on my own to tone down the brassiness? I'm thinking of getting a blue-based toner, but if I do, should I use it all over or just on the top layers, where the highlights are? And if that's not the solution, what else can I try? This brassy color is really embarrasing.

Old 04-23-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: How to get rid of brassiness in highlights?

Hi,

violet based toners are what you need.

But, if you're willing to do it yourself, get a hilighting kit and draw a few around the front and top area (only on the already brassy hilighted ones to get it to a light yellow -- BUT don't go to white). The combination of colours will probably look great.

If you're still seeing too much brassiness, use a shampoo with a violet base or one that helps tone down brassiness.

The blue base won't give you the resuslt you'll need.

Hope this helps.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 04-23-2004 at 11:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
(female)

Jo-chan HB User

Thanks for replying, quincy. Let me just ask you to clarify - you're suggesting I get a highlighting kit, use it on the areas that are already highlighted to turn them light yellow, THEN use a violet toner? Is that correct? Because I don't want light yellow highlights, either.

I'm not familiar with how to use toner, and I'm assuming I only need to apply it to the highlighted areas, but would it hurt to apply it to my whole head? I'm asking because I'm not sure how I would apply it only to the highlights.

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2004, 01:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

I'm thinking your stylist didn't use bleach, but possibly a colour with a 30 volume peroxide. If this is the case, eventually the colour will fade a bit.

Yes, I was suggesting you to do it yourself...but in hindsight, go back and get the stylist to put on a semipermanent colour in a lighter shade that is violet based to tone down the brassiness.

I hope it works out for you.
quincy

Closed Thread