It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2004, 11:21 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lindao1 HB User
Product Tramp or Anyone? What's the difference between drugstore hair color kits and

Hi All!

I am just really curious about the difference between the hair coloring kits you purchase at the drugstore or places like Walmart, and the color and developers sold at places like Sally's Beauty Supply? Is one better than the other, like better color, less damage, etc.? Are the Beauty Supply places where hairdressers purchase their coloring products? I used regular Clairol hair color kits I bought at Walmart, but when I went to Sally's, they had Clairol color and developers as well and they seemed to have better color selections.

Product Tramp, you seem so knowledgeable about hair coloring so I thought I would address this to you. But I would appreciate anyone's opinion as well. Thanks a bunch! Linda

Old 05-01-2004, 11:44 AM   #2

somuchbetter HB User
Re: Product Tramp or Anyone? What's the difference between drugstore hair color kits and

thats because sally's is a store all about hair so they have more to choose from and wal mart is just a store thats sells a variety of things. other than hair products

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
Veteran

producttramp HB User
Re: Product Tramp or Anyone? What's the difference between drugstore hair color kits and

Hey Linda
No huge difference. You will always get a better color selection at Sally's than Walmart/drugstores etc b/c they carry the whole line of Clariol etc. there. If you pretty much know what you want and how to get there Clariol will have predicatable results and I dont find too damaging. My MIL is totally grey and I always get her the GreyBusters Medium Neutral Brown from Clariol if I havent had time to get to the pro store. Know that if you go to Sally's you will usually use 2 oz of developer with every bottle of color, so dont necessarily get the hugest bottle of developer b/c it loses effectiveness over time. I also fond the cream developer to be easier to work with (makes the color or bleach thicker)
Its when attempts are made at making brown hair blonde, or doing a double process-like those kits that color then highlight your hair-that problems arise. In fact on one of the pro boards I still check in at, it is thought of as a great product b/c so many people need to come in for corrective color afterwards. The Feria dyes that are so raved about are a direct dye (like an ink) that yields very unpredictable results should you try and change the color at a later date.
Where the hairdressers get their colors are different, the lines can be very different than what you'd get at the nonlicensed or drug stores. I found an italian line I like-FRAMESI, as well as the Matrix colors. You usually go through alot of training to be certified as a colorist with pro lines.
I'm in no way knocking the Sally's stuff, I always reach for Clariol again and again b/c it does have great results and is cheap and easy to get. I learned on that line and always will feel comfortable with it.
Damage is always going to happen, just deep condition a couple of times a few days before you color and then I wait at least 24 hours before shampooing and conditioning after a color as well.
Hope this helps you out.

Old 05-02-2004, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lindao1 HB User

ProductTramp!

Thanks so much! I knew you were a wealth of information and I really appreciate the time you took to answer my questions! You gave me so much food for thought in regards to haircolor. Fortunately, I'm a natural blonde so just a little bit of lightening goes a long way with me. I usually go to the salon and get hilites, but the last time I went, I paid $125.00 for hilites that didn't even last a month. Argh! Since I colored my hair myself (which actually did pretty good with the Clairol products), I found another hairstylist who seems to be an expert in color and hilites and whose prices are more reasonable. So I'll probably go that route again.

I really appreciate your expert advice and again I thank you for taking time to answer my questions. The info will come in handy if I decide to do it myself again. Take care! Linda

Old 06-11-2008, 03:42 AM   #5
(female)

eps HB User
Re: Product Tramp or Anyone? What's the difference between drugstore hair color kits

What is the difference in haire developers? volume 10, 20 & 30

Old 06-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Product Tramp or Anyone? What's the difference between drugstore hair color kits

Oh I know how highlights can be so expensive! I'm a brunette that went blonde from lots of highlights and it just got too expensive for me. I got lucky and knew a lady who would do a great job with highlights and a haircut for only $60, but she moved! Bummer! I don't even know where she is!

I'm brunette again and have been using the Perfect 10 hair dye. So far it's been a good product from just a regular store. It definitely made my hair very glossy. My hair usually comes out darker than the box, so I used dark blonde to get my hair a light brown. So far this is my favorite at-home dye! I did need to buy 2 boxes though since my hair is long and pretty thick.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

10 volume is the weakest developer, 40 is the strongest. A good developer is a must if you are going dark to light otherwise you maybe orange. Also when you recolor do roots only pulling it all the way trough everytime not only damages your hair it gives your roots a different color than the rest of your hair.
Sophie

Closed Thread