It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2004, 05:03 PM   #1

siren3 HB User
How do you use tea tree oil for dandruff?

I have an oily scalp and am prone to the kind of dandruff that is the seborrheic dermatitis kind (or kinda like cradle cap). It's nothing horribly bad or smelly, but it can be a bother. Someone here once mentioned that you can use tea tree oil in the shampoo, which is a great idea because I know how great tea tree oil is for this kind of stuff. But how exactly do you do it? Do you add a couple of drops in the whole shampoo bottle or in the palm of your hand in your shampoo before you wash your head? I'm afraid it will dry out my hair since it was color treated before and became more prone to dryness, so has dryness happend to anyone that does this? Thank you for any help. =)

Old 05-01-2004, 05:20 PM   #2
Veteran

producttramp HB User
Re: How do you use tea tree oil for dandruff?

Try using a few drops in the palm of your hand and mix it with the shampoo.
Alternately, try putting on the areas affected with a qtip after showering. I found that way most effective. It wont be as drying that way if you just apply it to the scalp.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2004, 05:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

While some people can apply tea tree oil straight without any problems, a lot of aromatherapists say that no essential oil should be applied to the skin without dilution - even lavender. Plus there have been studies that have shown that diluted tea tree oil is just as effective as straight - maybe even more effective. It doesn't take much of an essential oil to get a response.

You may not have any problems applying it directly to your scalp - but I would definitely do a test area first. Personally, I would take about 1 oz. of a carrier oil like jojoba, olive, camellia, etc. (in a glass bottle) and add about 5 drops of tea tree oil to it & then apply it to the scalp. Or if you have an 8 oz. bottle of shampoo, you could add about 40 drops of tea tree oil. The recommended dilution is 5 drops per ounce.

Old 05-01-2004, 06:32 PM   #4
Veteran

producttramp HB User

If you have an oily scalp however, adding more oil will only make the problem worse and Seborric dermatitis may become worse off with the addition of any oil, no matter how gentle. Plus adding an additional oil to your already oily scalp may give you flat greasy hair.
Your thing is to clear the scalp of excess oil and dead cells and apply a treatment to keep it under control. Some people have luck with Nizoral or other rx'd shampoos but I always recommended tea tree to clients if they asked with great results. A great tea tree shampoo and conditioner that is available at health food stores is natures gate or salons have Paul Mitchell but they can strip color.
Also, to help when things get real itchy, or lots of dandruff, try making a paste of your shampoo and some baking soda almost like an exfoliant to the hair and scalp to help clean the scalp and soothe things if the itching is bad.
If you really want to dilute the tea tree, try water (maybe a spray bottle and shake like crazy). Tea tree oil whether a shampoo or an oil used throughout the hair itself may strip your color/cause dryness so I do think its best to try an on the scalp treatment.

Old 05-01-2004, 07:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by producttramp
If you have an oily scalp however, adding more oil will only make the problem worse and Seborric dermatitis may become worse off with the addition of any oil, no matter how gentle. Plus adding an additional oil to your already oily scalp may give you flat greasy hair.
Actually, I was referring to applying the oil to the scalp about 20-30 minutes prior to shampooing. An oil like jojoba is similar to the body's own oils & works very well to balance oil production - whether it be too much or too little. Then you would shampoo as usual, so the oil is not left in the hair at all.

I use jojoba oil with pine & rosemary essential oils on my scalp every other night in this manner. It really helps with the flakes/crusts (I believe I have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp as well) - it doesn't aggravate it at all & doesn't make my hair greasy or flat. Of course, everyone won't have the same results.

Oh, I forgot to add that it hasn't affected my highlights at all & I've been using this for over a year now.

Last edited by Blue-eyedBelle; 05-01-2004 at 07:28 PM.

Old 05-02-2004, 04:52 AM   #6
Veteran

producttramp HB User

If your hair is highlighted with bleach, no it probably wouldnt affect the color since bleach "removes" the color molecules to leave you with lighter hair.
Color highlights or full head of color are a different story since the hair has color lightened and deposited to achieve the desired result. A shampoo with any adjusted ph can strip the color or make hair drier which was a concern here or rough up the cuticle some to leave hair more likely to have color fade. Tea tree can be somewhat drying which I think is a desired result on this scalp to alleviate the excess scaling and oil production.
From what I learned in the over 1500 hours of cosmetology education I have received in the 15 years of holding a license, I still hold true to my original suggestion.
To each his or her own.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
A shampoo with any adjusted ph can strip the color or make hair drier which was a concern here or rough up the cuticle some to leave hair more likely to have color fade.
producttramp - I'm not questioning your knowledge about haircoloring - you obviously know what you're talking about. But a question - wouldn't adding baking soda to a shampoo change the pH, too?

Quote:
Try using a few drops in the palm of your hand and mix it with the shampoo. Alternately, try putting on the areas affected with a qtip after showering.
And you yourself suggested mixing several drops of the tea tree with a handful of shampoo - which is a far greater concentration of tea tree than recommended. And you also suggested applying it straight - again which is a greater concentration than recommended & would most likely be drying.

Diluting the tea tree in jojoba & applying only to the scalp would be the best way. In diluted amounts, the tea tree shouldn't be drying at all. But as you said, to each his own. I was only offering an alternative & the knowledge I have of essential oils.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:53 AM   #8
Veteran

producttramp HB User

A greater concentration recommended by who? Recommended amounts vary from text to text.
I didnt recommend a concentration, I said mixing a few drops of tea tree with shampoo to get a tea tree shampoo mix that could be used if that is her desired method of application, instead of buying a tea tree shampoo ready made or apply it with a qtip after showering which I personally have done and told others about with no problems.
Baking soda adjusts the ph, but doesnt cause dryness nor color loss that I have seen, it is used like an exfoliant to slough off the dead skin/residue manually which with seb.derm is a problem. You wouldnt use it daily, but as needed. Daily use could affect the ph to add to color loss.
I noted she already has an oily scalp, so that will contribute to the seb.derm. problem. Her ideal thing is to get the scalp a little drier/clear and get something that can help with the seb.derm. itchies and flakes which tea tree will. Neat oil is not always the way to go, but since the scalp has a thicker skin density than say facial skin, I have never found tea tree directly to be a problem unless there is broken skin on the scalp which I would then recommend either dilution with water or witch hazel not carrier oil.
We obviously could debate this til the cows come home..

Old 05-03-2004, 03:26 PM   #9

siren3 HB User

Thanks to both of you. Right now I can only buy a little bottle of tea tree oil to add to my shampoo, so I think that is what I will do, I don't think I need much more since I have no itchiness or anything too bad. Maybe someday I will try some of the shampoos that already have the tea tree oil in it and I'd like to buy some essential oils someday as well. Thanks again y'all! =)

Last edited by siren3; 05-03-2004 at 03:29 PM.

Closed Thread