It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2004, 01:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User
HELP!!!!! Brassy highlights-yet AGAIN!!!

My hair is lighter brown and I have blond highlights. I got them redone and some spots are brassy! It pisses me off so bad because last time they were like that and I went back to her and she lightened them up more and they looked fine. So, i told her that hey...remember lasttime...make sure they are blond. So, yeah, they are brassy! She even used a toner! What can I do? i hate to go back because i have to take the bus and it's such a pain. But I hate the color. Will it fade? if so, to what color? What should I do?????????????? I have a purple shampoo but that wont make them blonder will it? It is mostly brassy on the top if I part it down the middle...and on the sides it's blonder and not brassy! what did she do? i could scream because i go through this every single time. and i thought for sure she would have done it right considering that she had to fix it lasttime!

Old 06-17-2004, 04:33 AM   #2
(female)

rubydoo63 HB User
Re: HELP!!!!! Brassy highlights-yet AGAIN!!!

Hi.

Just a thought..do you have well water? My hair is medium brown, and whenever I get blond highlights, it turns brassy. I have well water. What worked for me is to change from blonde highlight to a golden brown.

I also bought a shampoo for well water that I use 2 times a week. That has helped me.

Good luck...Rubydoo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2004, 09:35 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ducttape1000 HB User

i use born blonde toner. i love it. you can get it @ sally's. brassy no more.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:25 AM   #4

TripleL HB User

If i was you, i would either go back, or just learn to deal with it. the reason why it is still brassy is because the solution wasn't left on long enough. how did you get it done? cap or foil? The idea of well water could also be a part of it. but, if it was brassy the same day you got it done, then it was probably the colorist's fault. if this keeps happening why do you stay with the same person? I know it may be out of comfort, but if you can find a stylist who will listen to what you want, you might be better off. good luck!

Old 06-17-2004, 12:35 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ducttape1000 HB User

i have a question. i have dirty blonde hair and i give myself highlights at home. i have to leave the solution on for like an hour for it to lighten enough so it wont be "brassy". how bad is this for my hair?

Old 06-17-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

I don't have well water.

I only went back to her because I used her 3 times before and the 1st time was the only time i had a problem...and she fixed it. the 2nd time, she did it right so this 3rd time, i really thought she would do it right! I have been to other salons in the past and they all messed it up too...brassiness. I just hate to go back because i don't have a car and riding the bus is a big pain.

What will a purple shampoo do at this point? Should I try one and see if it gets blonder?

Old 06-17-2004, 03:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

I called them and she sounded annoyed! She said to try my purple shampoo and see if it works and if not i could come back in and get a toner! she already toned it!!! I tried the purple shampoo and nothing. I just know she didn't leave it in long enough and it didn't get blond as i wanted, instead brassy and orangey. she wont be in til tuesday. do i have the right to ask to be seen tomorrow and have someone else fix it?! if not, i think i might stop payment on the check! It was $130!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2004, 03:57 AM   #8

TripleL HB User
Cool Re: HELP!!!!! Brassy highlights-yet AGAIN!!!

Sounds to me like she may not even know what she is talking about. If she tones it again, it will not help. she didn't lift your natural hair color out enough to make it the color you want. the purple shampoo is the same basic idea as the toner, and that will not help much either. i would ask to speak to the owner or manager of the shop, if she will not satisfy you. 130. is no cheap price to pay for highlights. they should fix it for free. good luck!

Old 06-18-2004, 12:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

I had a major color/highlight disaster and called the shop. They set me up with the owner for the next day and it took them over 3 hours to fix my hair! I went back to coloring it myself shortly after that (when the roots started showing). I use Loreal Superior Preference and a bleach kit to highlight.

Old 06-18-2004, 01:31 PM   #10

Cyndee HB User

I heard that Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo removes brassiness. Try that.

Old 06-19-2004, 08:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

I went back today...i was early so she took me and did my highlights over...just on the top where they were awful. she was also working on another lady and told me she couldn't blow dry my hair so i had to leave sopping wet!! i was ******. i will never go back there again, ever. that was just rude! They are blonder now...but i am still not happy...they look a little rusty. Like a yellow...not the baby blond i wanted.

Old 06-19-2004, 11:36 PM   #12

ILikeRats HB User

I think that is a disgrace. If you're paying $130, you should get what you want. I think you should write a letter to the manager explaining what happened and that you weren't satisfied with the results, and you'd like a partial refund. If they don't respond, I'd file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I've had the same problem (highlights I was totally unsatisfied with), but I only paid about $45. I didn't complain but should have...

Old 06-20-2004, 07:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

lovely.lady HB User

Well, it's all a live and learn experience, right? I have found that you'll get the results you want if you do it yourself. I love my stylist and everything, but when I get color or highlights put in, she does a great job but not QUITE like I like it.

Old 06-20-2004, 01:00 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely.lady
Well, it's all a live and learn experience, right? I have found that you'll get the results you want if you do it yourself. I love my stylist and everything, but when I get color or highlights put in, she does a great job but not QUITE like I like it.
Well, the thing that is so irritating is last time she did do it EXACTLY like I wanted it and I loved it. So, this time i told her...do what you did last time..and she obviously didn't. I think she should write things down...like the color she used and the time left on...so she can refer back to it next time! These are supposed to be PROFESSIONALS! And no, i would never do my pwn hair...the colors sold in stores do not even make my hair blond..they only lift it to orange shades...besides, i wouldnt be able to see the back to foil it. I don't even know HOW to foil it.

I wrote the owner...and asked for a partial refund. I'll see what she has to say.

Old 06-20-2004, 10:00 PM   #15

KittyKat24 HB User

If you have any red undertones in your hair *at all* your highlights will always turn brassy

Closed Thread