It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2002, 09:52 AM   #1

KIKI_24 HB User
Lightbulb HYDROGEN PEROXIDE FOR YOUR HAIR?!

My friend brushed hydrogen peroxide through her hair and slept on it and it lightened her hair so much. She went from a dark brown to a very light brown. It wasn't necessarily pretty but it definitely fit with summer weather. My hair is so dark, like dark brown, almost black, and I really want to get the summer look without paying a fortune for highlights. What do you guys think? Should I try it? Thanks a ton!

~KIKI

p.s. does anyone have any other suggestions other than lemon and sun in? Those just turn my hair orangey, not very flattering!

Old 06-09-2002, 03:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User
Wink

I've heard of hydrogen peroxide doing that too. Maybe you could just use a sample of your for a few nights and see how it turns out and if you like then do it if you want. I would.

------------------
Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2002, 03:27 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

I meant to say use a sample of your *hair
Also, I don't know of any other lightening things to use. What about hair color? have you thought of that?

Old 06-09-2002, 03:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User
OOOOOHHHHHH Be careful with the stuff, you dont want to ruin your hair, what about shampoos that have highlighters in for different hair colours. Bleached hair takes forever to grow out and you risk it going orangey - Yuck. Ask the opinion of a hairdresser, they usually sell products.

Old 06-11-2002, 02:41 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

4given1 HB User
I did this once. ONCE. The stuff is soooooooo drying. I am not exaggerating when I say my hair felt like straw. I wouldn't recommend it. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_down.gif

The following user gives a hug of support to 4given1:
lauralam12 (11-11-2010)
Old 06-11-2002, 07:40 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Wink

I don't recommend it either unless you really want to color your hair. it made mine all dried out too.
Sarah

Old 06-12-2002, 11:30 AM   #7
Inactive

Lady^ HB User
Well, here's what I did for many years. I'd use the bleach you can buy for bleaching facial hair, and I'd use it on very thin strands of hair all over my head, or just in certain areas (like a large streak on either side of my face) and it worked really well. You can try it on a small sample underneath your visible hair to see how long to leave it on, which will depend on how much lighter you want it to be.

Old 06-16-2002, 04:43 PM   #8

C Celeste HB User
Thumbs down

NO NO NO, please do not use peroxide on your hair. The worst thing I see everyday (expecailly in the summer) is people coming in my shop with bad bleach or color jobs. Do you know that if you do that, not only will you damage your hair, but you will pay twice as much to have it fixed than if you would just go and let a hair stylist do it. The peroxide that you buy is not strong enough to lift your hair to a pretty shade. You will end up with a pumpkin head. Trust me. If you don't want to go to a salon, (which i highly recommend) than see if there are any Beauty Schools in your area. They are usually half the price as salons. It may take longer, because the students are still learning, but it can save you some money.

Old 06-28-2002, 01:43 PM   #9

hulagirl HB User
Lightbulb

OKAY DON'T USE PEROXIDE OR BLEACH AND IF YOU VALUE YOUR HEAD OF HAIR I WOULDN'T GO TO A SCHOOL TO GET IT DONE CHEAP. THESE PEOPLE ARE LEARNING AND MESS UP ALL THE TIME. MY HAIR IS TO MY BUTT ALMOST, SO THERE IS NOWAY I WOULD RISK IT. I HAVE COLORED MY HAIR FOR YEARS AND ALSO DONE HIGHLIGHTS. GET A FRIEND AND DEPENDING ON HOW LONG YOUR HAIR IS I WOULD GET A BOX
OF LOREAL-FERIA-COLOUR STRANDS (QUICKSHIMMER HIGHLIGHTS)YOU CAN BUY THIS PRODUCT TO GIVE HIGHLIGHTS IN DARK HAIR, BROWN HAIR OR BLONDE HAIR. WHEN MY HAIR WAS DARK I LOVED CHESTNUT CHANGES IN GOLDEN BROWN.
HOPE THATS HELPS AND PLEASE DON'T USE PEROXIDE IT WILL FRY YOUR HAIR AND NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU DEEP CONDITION IT, IT WILL BE FRIED. GOOD LUCK
HuLa

Old 06-28-2002, 07:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
sun-in IS peroxide.

If you think the drugstore stuff will turn your hair any less orange, forget it

go get it done professionally and then you wont' look like a retard

Old 07-02-2002, 10:52 AM   #11

hulagirl HB User
Lightbulb

She is right about that stupid SUN-IN. Don't use that either it is peroxide in a bottle with a different name and it will dry your hair. I thought that stuff would be off the market by now!! People still use that? Good lucky Kiki

[This message has been edited by hulagirl (edited 07-02-2002).]

Old 02-18-2003, 06:39 AM   #12

bebe_babu HB User
Question

hey every1...well i have naturally black hair becuz i'm asian, but yesterday i went to the hair salon to get my hair dyed caramel brown and the lady who did my hair messed it up...now the top of my head is a light orangy red color and the rest of my hair is the same dark color it was before...i don't know what i should do!!??

i was thinking of using peroxide to lighten all of my hair and then use medium brown dye over it, but now that i know it will dry out my hair, i don't want to do that...but my hair is now two different colors, so what should i do?????

Old 02-18-2003, 07:40 AM   #13

BettyRose HB User
Wink

For bebe_babu: Go back to the salon and get your money back or at least some of it. Tell them you are not satisfied. If they don't end up making you happy well…word of mouth is strong advertising.

As for peroxide: NO! NO! NO! It's dries out your hair and made mine orangy. It took forever to grow out.

[This message has been edited by BettyRose (edited 02-18-2003).]

Old 02-18-2003, 09:58 AM   #14

bebe_babu HB User
i feel bad going back there and asking for money back though! 'cause i go there every time i get my hair cut or anything and they're so nice there...and that lady was new there...i don't know...i don't think i could go back there and tell them i'm not happy with it... but i really don't know what to do about my two-tone hair problem...

------------------
*bebe babu*

Old 02-18-2003, 12:30 PM   #15

BettyRose HB User
Bebe: I understand about not wanting to hurt their feelings but…what if someone on the street asks you about your hair. What are you going to say, "Oh, I just love this look (sarcastic) " and they ask "where'd you get it done?" and you say "XYZ salon" and they think "hmm not going there".

The management at your salon would rather have a happy customer than one who isn't happy. What would you think if you saw another girl whose hair looked like yours? You'd probably think "Yeah, I'm not going to that salon." Either way, if you don't like it they should offer to fix it. Don't worry about offending the girl I'm sure if it looks as bad as you say she's probably wondering why you haven't said anything.

Closed Thread