It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2003, 09:15 AM   #1

lilspritebubbles HB User
Angry argh! leg problems! advice?

i absolutely hate my legs, i have had constant problems with them. its been to the point where im ebmarrassed to wear shorts. im so jealous of girls with those shiny, smooth legs, and thin fine hair that you only have to shave every-so-often because stubble isnt noticeable. im hoping to find somone that can relate to me and my problem and/or give me solutions.

not only is my leg hair thick and dark, but also my skin is very sensitive, especially to fragrances (im allergic and they highly irritate and sting/burn my skin)-- meaning i have a very narrow selection of products (shave gel, lotions, etc) to choose from.

shaving doesnt seem to work well for me, because smooth legs last just that day and i get stubble by the next morning. besides, because of my hair being dark & thick and my skin quite light, you can still see the hair underneath my skin... i guess you could call it a 5-o'clock shadow type thing. i can shave only once a week because when i shave before a weeks time i have too many problems: i get so many nicks, its not a smooth shave at all, it stings, my legs are red afterward, and i have ingrown hairs. i usually have to wait a while for the hair to grow a bit longer so shaving is easy- and the results are nice because my legs are smooth and clear... but it, again, only lasts that one day! it seems pointless.

id rather not wax, because 1) its painful 2) its expensive... ive tried waxing at home, which is less expensive, but its really difficult for me because of all the pain, and then afterward i have nothing to use to calm down my irritated, sensitive legs (the lotions and gels they provide in the kits have fragrances and just irritate me even more).

dipilatories dont work for me, period. ive tried several times with different brands. besides, its hard to find one without a fragrance.

so ive resorted to stay with shaving.
ive been using jergens' natrually smooth lotion, and i like it because its either fragrance free or the fragrance doesnt irritate (its hard for me to find this in lotions).

has anyone else been using jergens' naturally smooth? it says on the bottle that the big results show up after about two months. ive been using it for two months and there have been changes, but very minute. i would really appreciate re-assurance on this product, that it really will work for me by thinning my hair and letting me shave with ease. i just have to keep using it, and be patient, right?

does anyone use tendskin? will this work for the ingrown hairs on my legs, so that i can shave before a weeks wait? is it too harsh for my sensitive skin or does it contain fragrances? (if it does, its immediately not an option)

does anyone else have problem-legs like mine? what products and hair-removal methods do you use?

sorry for such a long post, but this is really important to me... and besides, i needed to rant and let it out. thanks for putting up with me! and even more thanks for advice!!

-julia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2003, 10:16 AM   #2
(female)

Amberly HB User
I have heard of something called sugaring. Have u ever looked into that? As far as having stubbles the next day........that happens to me too!! Ughhhh I hate it. Sometimes i get stubbles in a matter of minutes if i get out of the shower and its cold.
What kind of razor do you use? Maybe it has something to do with that. I know ever since i use a "Venus" razor i get a mich closer shave and i dont hardly get any nicks. well good luck.

Old 01-18-2003, 11:18 AM   #3

lilspritebubbles HB User
i use the venus razor as well, and its very smooth, slick, and easy. but i find for my bikini line that venus doesnt get close enough shave because the hair is coarser, so i use the regular gillette razor for women.

as for shave gel, just in case youre curious, i use aveeno's therapeutic shave gel with oatmeal, which is the most friendly shave gel i have found for my fragrance-allergic skin.

your comment on stubble- so do you shave every day to make up for it, or how do you deal?

Old 01-18-2003, 02:17 PM   #4
Veteran

1goodgirl HB User
I would suggest buying "Gently Gold Caress". It is a little gadget that tweezes a lot of hair at one time. Hurt? Yes, some. However you will find that after a while the hair will grow back in finer and sparse. It will grab very short hairs. Use search engine to find it. I was so happy with mine that I got one for each of my daughters.
I have used Tendskin, and it is great!

Old 01-18-2003, 02:39 PM   #5
(female)

Amberly HB User
Yes the Venus razor does tear me up when it comes to the bikkini area. Always leaves me with razor burn.......ouch & it doesnt look too pretty.
And yes.......i do have to shave everyday.....lol

Old 01-19-2003, 03:10 PM   #6

lilspritebubbles HB User
actually, my sister bought a gently gold caress. she let me use it and the pain was horrible! it hurt almost as bad as waxing, except the pain lasted longer - waxing was quick and finished within seconds, and the tweezing seemed to take forever. i stopped immediately because i couldnt take it anymore. if you can do this, especially regularly, i admire that strength and courage!!!

Old 07-13-2003, 11:12 PM   #7

luvstimaud HB User
Thumbs down

i've used jergins naturaly smooth its bull **** i think iused for over3 months straight no changes. i have to shave everyday casue my hair is dark and i tan once a month so i'm not so plae i can see the hair under my skin i have sensitive skin but not allergic to anything i just use stuff that are stricly for sensitive skin its a day to day efford. Man i hate being a woman somtimes

Old 07-13-2003, 11:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
My daughter and I coat our legs with a cheap skin lotion and a little water before shaving. It helps you shave closer and you get nice moisturized legs afterward. It cuts down two steps to just one.

Old 07-14-2003, 12:31 AM   #9

deliciousmess HB User
Yah I have very thick leg hair too. As soon as I shave there's black dots, and a little stubble, and it's only decent for a day. I also get really bad razor burn if I shave more than twice within say a month. I find it too hard to keep up the maintenance with hairy legs like mine!

My mother is good at waxing legs, so she does that for me once a month, and other than that, I just live with hairy legs - luckily my boyfriend doesn't mind. After I wax or shave my legs, I just use store bought pure aloe vera gel...or aloe vera gel straight from the plant. It's gentle and effective.

Old 07-17-2003, 04:58 PM   #10

purplemidget HB User
Some tips to help you get a great shave:
Soak your legs and the razor you use in water that's as warm as you can stand for at least 5 minutes. make sure your razor has a new blade. I use a gilette Mach 3 (yes, a mans razor.I like the way it contours to my legs)Go slow and firm, rinse the razor often. If you can't use a shave gel,Dove is good, even for being a soap. Or use hair conditioner. if you exfoliate with a loofah or scrub before and after a shave, it helps with ingrowns. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2003, 06:39 AM   #11
(female)

Janette* HB User
Lightbulb

I have thick leg hair also. Thats why I hate to shave - it seems pointless because it's still going to look like I need to. The only way I can get my legs to look half-way decent is to wax! I know you said you've tried, but have you ever used bikini plus? You could put that on your legs after you wax.. Personally, I think it's way more effective than the stuff they give you with the wax. You said you only tried waxing once, right? Because I remember that it was alot worse the first time I did it.. BUT, it does get easier, trust me. Then the hairs gradually thin out a bit, and you can go for longer periods without waxing...

If you really have your mind set on shaving, I don't know what to tell you. I cannot get that to work for me.

As for the Jergens lotion, I haven't heard one person tell me that it worked for them.

Old 07-18-2003, 07:00 AM   #12

22ad22 HB User
I have the same problem. My legs get pretty stubbly by the end of the day. Even right after I shave and they're smooth, you can still see the "5 oclock shadow" because my hair is so dark and my skin is so light. I've tried waxing, but it never gets all the hair and my legs break out. So I'm left with shaving too.
Here are some tips: Try gillete mach 3 for men, it works really well and doesn't tear up my legs as much as venus.

I started using aveeno positively smooth shave gel. I'm not sure if it will actually soften and lessen my hair, but its a really wonderful shaving cream regardless. I'm also using aveeno's positively smooth lotion too, but I've only been using it for a couple weeks. Or try conditioner, that works pretty well.

Try to make yourself cold right before you shave (turn on some cold water), when you get goosebumps it pushes your hair out further. I feel that I can get a better and closer shave after doing this, but make sure the goosebumps have subsided before you actually shave. And I'm less likely to get goosebumps after I shave if I did it before. I hate getting goosebumps right after shaving, you're just all stubbly again!

good luck

Old 05-28-2004, 11:07 AM   #13

melsabaa HB User
Re: argh! leg problems! advice?

I have the same problem...and IT BLOWS> I used everything. and I too hate girls with shiny legs. DAMMIT , I hate men but I love being a woman. ehehehe.
I also use aveeno shaving cream and you know what it does make hair finer and it does reduce the shadows. I would DIFENTLY rcommend that. after I shave I used Nivea for men balm on m legs..that alsoreduced inflammation...however my legs are benfiting slowly.

Old 05-28-2004, 01:28 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I can't use a razor (for years I used the Venus razor) because my legs get so irritated and I scratch the life out of them all day. So now I use a Conair wet/dry electric razor. I know a lot of people don't like electric razors but I used to have to shave everyday and now I'm down to every other day. After I shave in the shower, I use some Jurgens shave minimizer. I'm not sure how well this works when it comes to shaving less but it makes my legs smooth all day and it has a nice shine to it.

Old 05-29-2004, 10:34 AM   #15
Inactive

joquiero HB User

I've used Nads for home waxing and it by far the best. My routine is to have a glass of wine first! haha. It really helps with the pain, or if you don't drink, try a couple of aspirin. Wash your legs with the soap that comes with the nads - it gets rid of all the oil. Heating the gel is not needed but I do anyone coz it makes application so much easier. I put the open pot in a pan and bring the water to a boil and use it once it gets runny.

You may also consider lazer removal because its permanent.

Also, if you insist on shaving try the Mach 3 - it is the most remarkable razer i've ever used - it gets rid of everything.

For after treament, try a sentitive skin product such as Dove or Neutrogena.

Closed Thread