It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2003, 10:09 PM   #1

bargainshopper HB User
Exclamation how to remove hair off your arms??

i have really hairy arms :-( but i've always been afraid to shave them, because of the fear of them growing back darker and thicker. well, a couple weeks ago i just couldn't take it anymore and just shaved my arms. now, i have to do it everyday or else i get *****ly. i'm thinking about using nair or veet. does anyone else like their arms hair-free and what do you use to keep them that way? thanks for any input :-)

Old 06-09-2003, 07:57 AM   #2

Annee HB User
I've recently decided that my arms are too hairy, too. But I was thinking about bleaching them. I'm hoping that the peroxide will lighten some of the freckles in the process. But I'm a bit nervous about the possibility of looking like a polar bear. What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2003, 09:50 AM   #3
Inactive

psabrina HB User
Hi there! Well, I have been shving my arms but my hair doesn't seem *****ly, thicker or darker...but then again the hair on my arms was real light and I didn't have much either. I just wanted the soft, smooth look!

Old 06-09-2003, 10:01 AM   #4
Inactive

Piperdreams HB User
I have hairy arms too, not too bad though. I used to bleach them but it looks even uglier, yes, the polar bear look. I leave it alone these days.

Old 06-09-2003, 11:31 AM   #5
(female)

Cldwv HB User
Has anyone ever experienced this? I waxed about two weeks ago in the evening and woke in the morning with very bad bruses all over my arms. My husband said I looked like a junkie (refering to my track-mark bruses).

Old 06-09-2003, 12:14 PM   #6

bargainshopper HB User
wow, thanks for all the replies! :-) bleaching should work if you have dark hair, but i'm not totally sure. my hair is pretty light. i was thinking about waxing, too. so it gave you bruises, huh? that's unusual. i tried waxing my legs using an at-home wax kit but it was really crappy so now i just use it on my face.

Old 06-09-2003, 01:37 PM   #7

Janet in Texas HB User
I have hairy arms too but have been shaving them for 10+ years. I used to bleach them but really had too much hair on them and was self conscious still about how they looked, so I started shaving them. You'll get used to the routine.

Also, you can buy those lotions (I believe there are at least two or three different kinds/brands) that you can smooth on after shaving and they are supposed to slow down the growth of the hair.
5'5" F

Old 06-10-2003, 06:26 AM   #8
Inactive

SuperFighter HB User
I personally wax them. I recommend you have it done professionaly though if you're not experienced with waxing as the process is tricky. you have to wax in the right direction, meaning of the hair growth, which constantly changes as you move around the arm, and you have to be FAST. otherwise you get bruises. I now do it myself and do a pretty good job, but I still get bruises at the inner elbow, you know, the crease of the forearm. it's hard to pull there, the skin is so thin.
The results are fantastic, my arms are baby smooth, and it usually takes a couple of months to grow back to what it was originally. I've also noticed that less hair grows each time, I now have patches of skin that are always totally hair-free! Can't beat that!
I would NEVER shave or bleach my arms, I think that would just make it a thousand times worse.
Anyway, good luck to all!

Old 06-10-2003, 06:50 AM   #9
(female)

Cldwv HB User
I agree with SuperFighter! The results you get from waxing are great-after the bruses fade. I'm sure my problem isn't typical and was caused by not doing it properly. Or, could have been a bad product.

SuperFighter - what do you use?

Old 06-13-2003, 02:13 PM   #10

allygirl HB User
I posted about this same thing on a different website's forum,and everyone was like ''EW,you shave your arms!?''

Old 06-13-2003, 02:49 PM   #11

bargainshopper HB User
lol i love having smooth arms!! i just hate having to shave them every single day

Old 06-16-2003, 12:49 AM   #12

TheVoice617 HB User
I shave mine about once every other month. They do not grow back thicker and darker - that is an old wife's tale I use baby oil on my body when it is damp from the shower. I have been complimented many times on my extremely soft skin. I never get that "stubbly" feeling I have felt on other women's legs and/or arms after shaving, either. I think it's the baby oil...

Old 06-16-2003, 05:16 AM   #13
Inactive

SuperFighter HB User
I use the same professional products they use in salons. It's called Gigi. I have the warmer, the cans of wax, and the spatulas and muslin strips.
I don't use any of the stuff from drugstores, to me it's just crap.
You can find that stuff either at beauty supply stores or online if you do a search for it.
Some online stores are more expensive than others, so I would comparison shop a bit.
Good luck everyone!

Old 06-17-2003, 03:45 PM   #14

Beezil HB User
I've always wondered whether or not I should feel "freakish" for not shaving my arms. I have somewhat hairy forearms. I have dark hair but the hair on my arms seems to be a bit lighter and softer than the hair would be on my legs if I let it grow, so I've always just left it alone. The general belief among women in my family was, "wow, NO one shaves their arms!" but over the years, seeing so many smooth armed women, I've always wondered.

I've wanted to try it but I'm afraid of two things: if I hate it, it will look REALLY weird growing out in it's stubbly stage, and two: this will sound totally stupid but I tend to feel chilled very easily, particularly in my arms, and I'm kind of afraid that it will make me colder!

I do shave everything else I'm "supposed" to though!

[This message has been edited by Beezil (edited 06-17-2003).]

Old 06-17-2003, 05:49 PM   #15
(female)

amethystle HB User
I would have to agree that waxing your arms is the best method. I use clear plastic strips that already have the wax on them. They work great, but only if you do small sections at a time. You need to cut the strip to about half the size. I get mine at Sally's Beauty Supply- they're called Clean + Easy Strip wax.

Closed Thread