It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 08:05 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User
Post Will anything remove smooth white scars?

I want to get rid of some white scars that I have around my jawline and upper neck. These scars are completely flat and smooth, not indented or raised, and are much whiter than the rest of my skin. I've tried exfoliating with scrubbing grains and with mild chemical peels. No luck. They've been there for several years now, so I know they're not going to fade away on their own. Makeup doesn't hide them very well, and tends to just rub off. Help please!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 07:25 PM   #2
Inactive

roni624 HB User
I don't think thereis anything that canmake them go away. They are scars. However you can talk to a dr and see what he/she recommends for it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.-Roni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 10:24 PM   #3

MartialArtsChic HB User
Talking

I'm with Roni. See a doctor. If they bother you that much, there might be some sort of laser surgery or microdermabrasion technique that will help them go away. You see it all the time on Extreme Makeover. That would be expensive though. Otherwise as scars, they are probably there to stay.

Old 09-14-2003, 09:22 AM   #4

sexymonkey HB User
Wink

I know what will help. It may take a while, but I guarantee that it works. It's called Palmer's Cocoa Butter. It works miracles! I use to have a chicken pox scar right by my eye and it was dark. Now you can't see it. It went away. I hope you try it!

------------------
*&^monkeygirl^&*

Old 09-15-2003, 11:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User
If the chicken pox scar was dark then it was not really a scar but a temporary discoloration left over from an injury to the skin. These eventually go away on their own, even without any treatment. White scars are real scars and are permanent. They are white because pigment has been lost from the area. I have heard of a new laser that actually "colors" the lighter areas so they blend in with the rest of the skin. These lasers are supposedly great for white stretch marks. It makes them virtually disappear.

[This message has been edited by rita (edited 09-16-2003).]

Old 09-15-2003, 11:54 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User
Thanks everyone for the responses.

rita, I was hoping there might be some sort of laser treatment available, this sounds great. I have about 50 million white stretch marks too....

Old 09-16-2003, 10:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User
I read about the new laser (actually they call it light based therapy and its name is ReLume) in Glamour magazine. It sounded really promising and I do believe that it might help the white scars you have. There is a website that is given to find doctors who perform the procedure but I am not allowed to post it here. Try to do a search with a good search engine by typing in ReLume. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by rita (edited 09-17-2003).]

Old 09-18-2003, 12:24 PM   #8

TranscendingAbyss HB User
when all else fails.. tanning can cover alot of booboos

Old 09-18-2003, 10:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User
Tanning will NOT cover white scars. These scars are white because they have lost their pigment and since they have no melanin (pigment) and melanin is what causes skin to darken when exposed to sun, these scars will remain white while the surrounding skin will darken. This will only serve to emphasize the whiteness of the scars. Actually tanning (ultraviolet rays) CAN cause other types of scars to permanently darken. Ask your dermatologist and he or she will tell you that it is always recommended for anyone with fresh scars to avoid exposing them to the sun.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:53 PM   #10

she said they'd been there several years.

Old 09-20-2003, 04:44 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User
Yes, her scars have been there for a while and will not improve on their own. I don't think you read my post carefully or else you did not really understand it. Her scars are white and these kinds of scars will NOT tan because they lack melanin and melanin is what gives skin its pigment when it tans. Therefore, your advice to just get a tan would definitely not work for her at all. Quite the contrary, tanning will make her white scars be more visible next to darker, tanned skin.
What I also suggested regarding exposure to sun applies to other kinds of scars (not the white kind). Other scars, especially when they are still new, actually do darken with exposure to sunlight and start looking worse. People with new scars should avoid exposure to sunlight. As as matter of fact, everyone should avoid unprotected (with no sunscreen) exposure to sunlight because of its well known role in premature wrinkling and skin cancer. Tanning is just not a good idea.

Old 09-21-2003, 03:05 PM   #12

I was refering to your comment about "fresh scars" which didn't really partain to the issue.. since she said she'd had her scars for years...

and perhaps I should've made myself more clear... but I meant sunless tanning.

Old 09-21-2003, 03:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User
Yes, sunless tanning is a great alternative to wrinkle-causing sunlight and tanning beds. I use it and love it! However, as far as sunless tanning and scars, that is a different issue. According to a sunless tanning site which I presume is quite knowledgeable about sunless tanning: "scars are a bit unpredictable. Mostly, they darken very little or not at all"........"[if this gets you down, keep in mind that stretch marks and scars don't tan in the sun, either — and the sun will impair healing]."
The other issue of fresh scars and exposure to the sun, although it was not directly related to the poster's question, was related to the general relationship between scars and sunlight which you brought up with your advice about tanning as a cover up for skin's trouble spots. I simply felt it was worth mentioning.

[This message has been edited by rita (edited 09-21-2003).]

Old 09-22-2003, 04:19 PM   #14

zlisaz HB User
Nothing "removes" scars but they can be improved. However, given your description I can almost bet there is nothing that can be done because laser treatments only work on scars that are indented, raised, or red.
It would be best to consult a Dr., but white scars will always be white unless you go to someone who does permanent cosmetics.

Old 09-22-2003, 06:36 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User
Yes, you are correct. Nothing removes them completely but they can be improved. That includes the white scars. Please read my post above that talks about new light based therapy that treats exactly these type of hypopigmented scars such as result from acne, surgery and even stretch marks (which turned white). It is called ReLume and sounds very promising but costly.

Closed Thread