It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 04:46 PM   #1
(female)

artsykid HB User
Exclamation Infected Nose Piercing....help!

Hey guys, I hpoe this is the right board to post this on. I got my nose pierced back in April and it keeps getting infected. It comes and goes and comes and goes. The reason why I am scared is cause I read something online the other day that said if your nose piercing gets infected it can possibly spread to your brain and you can die. Im like...what the???? I know so many people who have their noses pierced...I mean can that really be true? Anyway....Im sure some of you guys have piercings so I just need advice on what to use. Ive tried tea tree oil, sea salt, bactine ( that was bad, i know), and antibacterial soap but that dries out the whole area around it. I love my piercing and I dont want to have to remove it. And I cant anyway cause if I take it out while its infected the hole can close up and the infection can get caught inside. If anyone has any advice....please please help- it would be greatly appreciated. Take Care.

Old 10-30-2004, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
Re: Infected Nose Piercing....help!

I had my nose piereced many years ago while I was travelling along the western seacoast in India. There the guy took a pen marked the spot on my nose where he was going to pierce, took my nose ring ( which was a small gold hoop), open it up, and in a matter of seconds and shock on my part, jab it into my nose! I almost passes out, but my nose was pierced! Anyway, I was told to go into the ocean each day and let the sea water act as an antisceptint. It worked and it healed after a few weeks. When I changed my nose ring, I thought I bought a solid gold one but it must have been plated cause I got a terrible infection. Rubbing Alcohol really helped clear it up and I bought another nose ring that I made sure was solid gold.
Check the nose ring you are wearing, even though it may have been sold as gold, it may not be and that would cause infection. Also try the alcohol several times a day. My guess is the infection is due to the metal. Keep it clean daily. I do not wear mine anymore, but after that infection I did not have another one and I wore it for years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2004, 11:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

you may have an allergy to the metal-I can't wear gold anymore, but Sterling Silver is okay (unless the gold is treated). Also, cleanse the ring hole with hydrogen peroxide and be sure to rinse it with water afterwards. You can soak the ring in the peroxide as well. You can also get some neosporin and apply it to the ring hole as well, maybe leave on overnight. Hope some of this helps-if it doesn't get better, go to your doctor.

Old 11-02-2004, 05:54 PM   #4

JanieOlegre HB User

Yeah, you might want to try changing it with a different type of metal. Be careful though.. I got a nasty infection and I tried changing it and within a few seconds of switching the jewelry the inside layer of skin closed up! Keep using that antibacterial soap... I use one with a moisturizer in it and it doesn't dry my skin. I'm really really doubtful of that infection thing... I mean that would have to be one nasty infection.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:48 PM   #5
(female)

artsykid HB User

Thanks for the replies....my jewelry is surgical steel so I dont think that can be causing it....but good news! I went and got some sea salt and some stuff at Whole Foods called Nutribiotic and its finally starting to get a little better. I am still using the antibiotic soap but only in the shower. I think the problem was that I was cleaning it WAY too much and it actually irritated the piercing and kept it from healing itself. I got some soap with Vitamin E in it so it doesnt dry it out. If the infection comes back yet again I think I will go see my Dr.

Old 12-01-2004, 04:03 PM   #6
(female)

shanz85 HB User

Do you have a ring or a stud? I got mine pierced two years ago and found the ring never got infected. when I got a job that required a stud, it always got torn out in the middle of the night or on my shirts or whatever. It always got infected from being torn open over and over. I put the ring back in and whenever it felt like it was gonna get infected again (redness, pain, swelling, and/or a bump directly above the hole), I would clean it with antibacterial soap, twisting the ring in and out to get it all clean, and apply neosporin a few times a day, making sure I got some into the piercing as well as on the bump. It can look nasty the first day or so, but it clears up quickly. Like I said, I had the biggest problems with my stud. I'll never get that put in again!!

Old 12-01-2004, 09:07 PM   #7
(female)

renee46 HB User

i had mine pierced and i would always get these little bumps around it (i had to take it out frequently..my parents would've freaked out!)

anyway...i usually would pop the little boil thing (its not that gross looking, the piercing covered it..) but anyway i would pop it and then crush up an asprin in water and sleep with the paste on the infected area.

do that for a couple of days and it should clear it up

Old 12-02-2004, 03:20 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Divation HB User

Hey, I got mine pierced about a couple of months ago and like only a couple of weeks after getting it pierced, because I was an impatient bizitch, I wanted to change the stud for another one and then it got infected. It cleared up though really quickly after using Rubbing Alcohol but I think I have like a permanent bump on the inside of my nose because of it, much like one you would get from your ears being pierced after an infection. Oh well, what can you do.

Old 12-07-2004, 05:17 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

DGO1223 HB User

Surgical grade stainless steel or titanium is best. Silver is not great, especially with a new piercing as it can discolor the healing skin. Most, but not all people can tolerate gold, but if it has nickle in it, it can provoke allergic reactions. Also, the nose bone is very irritating for many, and the nose screw is a good choice, especially for beginners.

Sea salt soaks, adding only a drop or 2 of tea tree oil is good, several times a day, using as hot a compress as possible but not enough to burn your skin. Using neosporin or such is a no no because the skin cannot breathe and heal properly. Alcohol should NOT be used as it injures the healing skin, as does hydrogen peroxide. And yes, antibacterial soap is good, but overuse can dry and irritate it.

Old 12-15-2004, 01:39 PM   #10

CourtneyIAM HB User

Like DGGO1223 said, DO NOT use alcohol on piercings, SUCH a bad idea. You'll just dry it out. Don't use neosporin either, you'll clog up the hole leading to more problems. Soak the piercing with a sea salt solution (sea salt and warm water) twice a day is good, as is tea tree oil every once in awhile.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:14 PM   #11
(female)

artsykid HB User

That is what I have been doin- sea salt and tea tree oil...and it has gone down and the bump has almost gone away! Ive found that if I clean it TOO MUCH it just makes it worse so I actually do the soaks maybe just once every 2 or 3 days and wash it in the shower with antibacterial soap. I think my problem earlier was I waa cleaning it way to much and irritating it. I have a surgical steel stud.

Closed Thread