It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 10:18 PM   #1
(female)

jenikat HB User
Lightening my dyed black hair....

Okay, so this is the second time I've made this mistake....I dyed my hair black and now I hate it. Last time I had to strip it to get the color out, it came out all splotchy and when I died over it, the color was fuschia!!
Anyway, I had that professionally fixed (for a buttload of money )
and I thought I had learned my lesson about dying my hair black....Apparently not!!

So now it's black again, and I refuse to shell out 200 bucks to fix it, especially with X-mas around the corner. So, I bought a box of Loreal, Super blonde creme lightening kit to get the dye out, and then Revlon colorsilk in medium brown to make it a nice brown shade(hopefully). So I snipped a piece of hair and bleached it---came out pretty ok, like a dark orange color, so now all I have to do is put the color on top and see how that turns out

But I know I'm doing all these tests and stuff but I'm still scared to do the real thing, even if the tests come out ok..........My birthday is coming up in like a week and a half and I dont want my hair to be funky....nor do I want it to be black!

Anyway, if anyone has any comments or suggestions, please drop them!!!

Old 12-05-2004, 11:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Lightening my dyed black hair....

When did you dye it black?

Are you going to do it yourself or have someone else do it?

How long is your hair at this time?

You won't need to even go up to the dark orange colour if you're dyeing it a medium brown.

Actually, it would be better if you didn't go into the orange stage, but before it.

You'll have to work very quickly to get an even tone...but, the peroxide in the colour will help even it out.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2004, 11:40 PM   #3
(female)

jenikat HB User

I dyed it about a week ago.....

My hair is about 5 inches past my shoulders, pretty long. I am dying it myself, it would be ideal to have someone help, considering I can't see the back of my head!

I could just use the bleach I guess to get it only to the brown stage, but I am worried that it won't be even, like last time when I used a color stripper. But then again, I used one bottle that really wasn't enough to cover my hair...I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to buy two boxes of the blonde dye to get it all covered.

I just checked the bleached piece of hair I dyed over with the brown color and it is much darker than the box, (which I figured considering how porous the piece of hair is by now). It is like a dark ash brown, which is better than black----it just seems like a lot of trouble to get only two shades lighter!

I'm gonna need one hell of a deep condition and haircut after this one....

Old 12-06-2004, 01:52 AM   #4

redlightgreen HB User

OMG! I'd suck it up and pay for pro color correction. There's nothing more difficult than going back from black.

If you're adamant about doing this yourself I'd suggest doing full head highlights with the stripper bleach and going over the whole head with a blue base brown toner. That way whatever discolorations you have are camoflauged by the highlights. It would also fry less hair.

Another option (although I've never tried) is to get that new dye called brilliant brunettes (its either l'oreal or revlon) it says it can lighten a few shades to brunette without orange. On the box it shows a black going to medium brown with just that dye.

Also, I suggest the Kerastase resistance ciment anti-usure line of products to repair your hair. I used it after doing the same thing and it worked miracles, turning straw into something that resembled hair again.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:08 AM   #5
(female)

jenikat HB User

yeah, I already tried that brunette crap by Loreal....didn't work, but I didn't really think it would.

I haven't decided what I'm gonna do yet. I may "suck it up" and go have it done at the salon...maybe treat myself to an early birthday present.

However, I should act fast on whatever I decide because I heard the longer the dye has been in your hair, the harder it is to get out.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:32 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

BJM04 HB User

Be very careful when trying to redye your hair back from black..being its so dark and heavily pigmented from the black dye the Light blonde shade will only be able to lighten it some..with alot of orange and gold tones..addinga brown shade over that will only make it a reddish brown..choose a ash light brown shade or a light ash blonde shade..good luck..

Old 12-06-2004, 01:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I would agree with the others....go to a professional if you want an all over colour....especially with your hair the length it is.

OR

You can pull hair through a cap. (can explain how to do it more easily for you if you choose this option) Use the bleach and take it to a red level......then do the brown.

OR

Take it to a much lighter level. Also purchase a lighter colour such as a copper.....mix it with the one you already have, and make copper hilights with your black hair.

or

purchase a red, or a colour that is "bright", then mix it with the brown and do over the bleached pulled hair.

You have options, and you can make it work well for you.......

I think your goals may be lofty to have all the colour out and a full head of hair recoloured.

I would opt for the cap/bleach/recolour with something "brighter" to offset the black.

Can definitely look SMASHING if you choose the cap and another colour!!

Let us know how it works out for you!

quincy

Old 12-06-2004, 06:55 PM   #8
(female)

jenikat HB User

yeah, I made an appointment with my hairdresser for tomorrow...I'm not really confident enough to handle this on my own!

I know she's gonna scold me because this is the second time she's had to fix my hair screw-ups!

Thanks for your advice, though!

Old 12-15-2004, 07:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

woodfaery HB User

Your best bet is have a color correction done at the salon.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:28 PM   #10
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Go to a professional!!! If she scolds you say Hey, you're getting paid for this, don't complain.

How old are you? What is your natural hair color? Why are you dying your hair black? What color are your skin and eyes? Are you going for a Goth look or a natural look? If you are older than 30, I would suggest dark brown, with natural auburn, caramel, or dark gold lights. If you're younger, you could try a "soft black". I've seen African-American ladies use soft black w/ great success.

I would never recommend anyone die their hair jet-black unless they're younger than 20 and/or going thru some teen phase. Jet-black looks fake, no matter what your ethnic background is. Most people have some subtle color in their natural hair. Have fun with your hair, but going super-black will make you look older & kind of sickly.

Old 12-16-2004, 07:36 AM   #11
(female)

Yekcoh4 HB User

I recently had a problem like this!! My hair was professionally colored blonde (brown natural color), but I decided to cover up my $350 color job with a $9 bottle of Feria in BLACK!! Stupid me, haha At first I thought I liked it, but then I realized how ridiculous I looked I also tried to lighten it and got that horrible orange color. Then I realized I would have to gradually lighten it up before I could go blonde again. Loreal has a line now called "HiColor For Dark Hair Only" It lighens your hair ALOT but you dont have to worry about prelightening or it turning orange. I got it in Ash Blonde, Once I used that, it was a light light brown, then I bleached it again and now I am a happy blonde!!

I would have went to my sylist to get it fixed but I was so embarrassed for ruining the hair I have spent so many thousands of dollars on to maintain...I have to go in for a cut and I'm still scared of what he will say

Old 12-21-2004, 12:44 PM   #12
(female)

Heavensent102 HB User

You are going to have DEAD hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After you do this make sure you use an excellent conditioner... and not to use flat irons or very hot curling irons on your hair.

Closed Thread