It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Anyone had a chemical peel??

I'm considering a chemical peel and was wondering if anyone had one and how it went.

Old 01-16-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lisa24 HB User
Re: Anyone had a chemical peel??

I had 2 blue peels done. The first was a light peel, it just evened my skin tone and I was pleased as far as that is concerned. But I was getting them done in hopes of helping my pores, and I don't think they did anything in that area, even though my dr swears they looked better after.
The second peel pretty much did nothing more for me. It was a deeper peel and I was actually unhappy afterwards. Wish I wouldn't have wasted my money. I didn't get any bad results, but nothing impressive either, other than the even skin tone, which for some reason I onl noticed after the first.
I guess for that reason I would recommend going with a lighter peel.

Last edited by lisa24; 01-16-2005 at 07:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

I have had several peels. Most of them light but one much deeper. There is a period of a week where my sun spots/freckles turned almost black and I did not look to good. But then after my skin peeled away, not only were the sun spots gone but my skin looked radiant.
I did it for the uneven coloring, which is now gone. I know my skin looks smoother and clearer. I get compliments all the time on my skin ( I do not wear make-up). So for me it was worth it.
I'll probably do another in 6 months.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo pie
I have had several peels. Most of them light but one much deeper. There is a period of a week where my sun spots/freckles turned almost black and I did not look to good. But then after my skin peeled away, not only were the sun spots gone but my skin looked radiant.
I did it for the uneven coloring, which is now gone. I know my skin looks smoother and clearer. I get compliments all the time on my skin ( I do not wear make-up). So for me it was worth it.
I'll probably do another in 6 months.
Do you know what kind of chemicals they put on your face? How did it feel during/after the procedure? How much did it cost?

thanks

Old 01-17-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa24
I had 2 blue peels done. The first was a light peel, it just evened my skin tone and I was pleased as far as that is concerned. But I was getting them done in hopes of helping my pores, and I don't think they did anything in that area, even though my dr swears they looked better after.
The second peel pretty much did nothing more for me. It was a deeper peel and I was actually unhappy afterwards. Wish I wouldn't have wasted my money. I didn't get any bad results, but nothing impressive either, other than the even skin tone, which for some reason I onl noticed after the first.
I guess for that reason I would recommend going with a lighter peel.
When you say 'blue' peels, are you referring to blue laser peel? How was the prodecure before and after? How much did it cost? What was the complete healing time?

Old 01-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

I went to get a chemical peel but the Dr, told me that she would not do one on me. She wanted me to try the EpiQuin first before she put acid on my face. I used the EpiQuin for a month 2 times a day and my skin is much better. My freckles are almost gone and people say I look very well rested. I did alot of reading on chemical peels but the Dr. said she would rather to a lazer light treatment or or microdermabrasion on my skin.

Some is what I read about Obagi Tca Blue peel. It removes thin surface layers of aged and damaged skin from the face and other parts of the body. It diminishies fine lines & wrinkles, to smooth out the skin, to reduce pore size improve tone and elasticity. Also reduces oil production & increase natural moisture age spots & hyperpigmentation.
It's made of chemical trichloroacetic acid (TCA) mixed with a special blue base to slow penetration
There is also Derm Nu Obagi. The derm nu obagi system is a synergistic system improving the health and appearance of skin using products which can be self applied. This includes hydroquinone and is normally used in conjunction with Retina A products to lighten, resurface and enhances the overall quality of the skin. It can hide acne and acne scarring and hyper pigmentations. The hydroquinone is the ingredient in my Epiquin cream.
Ok now we have Nuderm Obagi which is a 6-week regimen. It can drastically improve poor quality of the skin; however some patients may need the full 3 cycles. With this regimen you will peel, you will be red; you will have intense dryness and discomfort at times but will have an impressive and super aftermath. It reduces the appearance hyper pigmentation, texture problems, superficial wrinkles, large pores and acne scars and spots. Nuderm obagi is not a cosmetic answer to skin care, but a skin health restoration program. Under this treatment sun exposure should be limited by using a sunscreen agent, a sun blocking agent, or protective clothing to cover bleached skin during and after using this product in order to prevent darkening from recurring.
There is just an Obagi Peel too It is the solution in eliminating deep pigmentation or spots. This removes thin surface layers of aged and damaged skin from the face and other parts of the body. The layer/s of the obagi peel will be applied to the desired area and might experience a moderate burning sensation that lasts two to three minutes for each layer applied. Obagi peel a skin treatment designed to significantly improve the appearance and health of your skin. It uses low concentration of the chemical trichloroacetic acid (TCA) mixed with a special base to slow penetration. This effectively removes the surface layers of aged and damaged skin. A variety of natural ingredients and vitamin extracts found in obagi peel significantly help lessen down and reverse the aging process on the skin.Skin dryness, flaking, and redness during first stage of this treatment is visible but a significant improvement of restored healthier, more youthful appearance. It removes thin surface layers of aged and damaged skin from the face and other parts of the body.

They all read like the do about the same thing but some are stronger than others. It's best to ask the Dr. what is good for you. I thought I had nailed it down to the Obgi peel but my Dr. said "Nope" I am glad I went to her. She was honest and gave me the cream first. I am getting the results I want without spending a ton of money. I will still go for the micro dermabrasion when I am done with the 3rd tube. the first tube was $110.00 I just bought another today at a different drug store and it was only $81.00.
The micro I was told would cost around $100. I did not have time to wait for them to look up the exact price. They compared the Micro to a super wonderful facial.

Superficial peels there is no down time but you must protect your skin from sun.
A medium peel has a stronger potency of acids which causes the skin to slough with in 5 to 7 days, You wil be red and your face can swell. With in a day the skin turns brown and after 3 or 4 days it starts to peel.
Dep peels give you the most dramatic result they can get rid of wrinkles scars blemishes and some precancerous lesions. With a deep peel most people need anesthesia . The skin is redwith sweelig and blistering. YOu might form a cryst and teh skin will turn brown just prior to peeling which will peel fro up to 2 weeks. Your skin will be a terra cotta color until it gradually fades to your normal skin color. That can take up to 3 more months depending on the person.

EDIT with the microdermabrasion you can have them done one to two weeks apart. Several treatments are recommended.

Jenteal

Last edited by Jenteal; 01-17-2005 at 02:00 PM.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:57 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

There is also PhotoRuvenation which is intense plused light treatments. This improves rosacea,sun damage skin,flushng, age spots,skin teture and photo aging,mild acne scars reduces large pores dark circle and fine lines. Little to no down time. YOu can get these down as little as every 3 weeks. For optimal result most people need 5 treatments but slot see large resulkts in 2-3.

Jenteal

Old 01-18-2005, 01:17 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lisa24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie girl
When you say 'blue' peels, are you referring to blue laser peel? How was the prodecure before and after? How much did it cost? What was the complete healing time?
Well, I think Jenteal pretty much summed everything up, but I'll answer your questions anyway.

I had the Obagi blue peels, not laser peel. I had to use Retin-A for 6 weeks to prepare my skin before my dr would do the peel. (Oh I didn't do this for the second peel, I just didn't tell her til afterwards, cause I didn't like using the Retin-A. She wasn't happy with me either) The first one I was awake for, the second deeper peel I was asleep. The application burns very much. There is a vacuum like tube that blows cold air out onto you (rather than suctioning air). Anytime the burning was too much, the dr would stop so I could 'cool down' before beginning another layer of peel. It's burns pretty bad, but I survived. I can tell you I tried to have a laser and couldn't handle it, so it must not be as bad as getting lasered feels.

Both of them were suppossed to heal within 1-2 weeks time. For both I healed rather quick, the 1st not even a whole week, the second was a full week. The hardest part of the after was looking like a blue monster, so I had to stay home for a week. I thought I would enjoy the vacation, but it gets very restless not being able to go ANYWHERE!

I paid 600 for the first, and 550 for the second (including anesthia, she lowered the price for the second one. To my understanding this is about the median for the cost. You can get them for less depending on the place, and I believe some places charge even slightly more.

Hope I've answered your questions.

Last edited by lisa24; 01-18-2005 at 01:20 PM.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:31 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

curiousP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa24
Well, I think Jenteal pretty much summed everything up, but I'll answer your questions anyway.

I had the Obagi blue peels, not laser peel. I had to use Retin-A for 6 weeks to prepare my skin before my dr would do the peel. (Oh I didn't do this for the second peel, I just didn't tell her til afterwards, cause I didn't like using the Retin-A. She wasn't happy with me either) The first one I was awake for, the second deeper peel I was asleep. The application burns very much. There is a vacuum like tube that blows cold air out onto you (rather than suctioning air). Anytime the burning was too much, the dr would stop so I could 'cool down' before beginning another layer of peel. It's burns pretty bad, but I survived. I can tell you I tried to have a laser and couldn't handle it, so it must not be as bad as getting lasered feels.

Both of them were suppossed to heal within 1-2 weeks time. For both I healed rather quick, the 1st not even a whole week, the second was a full week. The hardest part of the after was looking like a blue monster, so I had to stay home for a week. I thought I would enjoy the vacation, but it gets very restless not being able to go ANYWHERE!

I paid 600 for the first, and 550 for the second (including anesthia, she lowered the price for the second one. To my understanding this is about the median for the cost. You can get them for less depending on the place, and I believe some places charge even slightly more.

Hope I've answered your questions.

what results have you had and are you pleased with the results, what were you aiming at achieving?

Old 07-23-2005, 08:38 PM   #10

ss1971 HB User

You can save some serious $$$ if you buy the TCA on the internet.. I tried it, mixed it w/ pure water. and it works. All info is available from sellers and if you are careful and read up on the process you can do your own peels for under $20.00. That includes SEVERAL peels. Baking soda is used to netralize the acid effects when done, then use viatim E or neosporing for 1-2 weeks while 'peeling and healing'. Mine worked great, peeled alot, skin turned brown, slight burn when applied. took about 3 minutes to work. A few days later came the fresh, new skin. its wonderful. imy 1st peel was about a 40% tca mix. less than 1 week to heal. my skin is in much better shape, and i do not have breakouts / acne anymore!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to ss1971 For This Useful Post:
stardiva (08-20-2012)
Closed Thread