It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 06:17 PM   #1
(female)

Katy5 HB User
Need a GOOD coverup.

Hey all,

I've got maybe 4 or 5 small-medium indented scars on my cheeks from acne in the past. Anyways, I have a very important meeting in about 2 weeks and really want to make a good impression. Does anybody know of any makeup that would cover/fill these in really well without making all the skin appear cakey? I'm a college student so I'm definitley on a budget so the cheaper the better. I'd prefer "drugstore cosmetics" because they are more simple to access and obviously cheaper but any will do. Thanks for any info!

Old 03-29-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
(female)

nailchick2000 HB User
Re: Need a GOOD coverup.

Hi, I have the same problem... so if you get any good advice..please share!
I was told that "derma-blend" could help.. it's totally opaque and you would apply it spackle style, blend the edges, then cover with your regular foundation.. but it is expensive and no stores in my area carry it.. they have a website, but I don't want to spend that kind of money without the try before you buy option. I wish that they would come out with a clear "spackle" that would blend with any skin color and last all day. I'm just waiting for something like this to come up on QVC ! There is a surgery that they can do to correct this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
(female)

nailchick2000 HB User

Brainstorming here.. I will try this tomorrow. Maybe if you mix some loose powder with a good coverage foundation like Revlon Colorstay and apply it like a spackle.. just to fill in the holes.. then go over it with another coat of foundation..hmmm.. why didn't I think of this before

Old 03-31-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User

I honestly don't use drugstore makeup, just because my skin sux and I am unable to..wish I could it would be much cheaper, so I don't have any drug store cover ups I could recommend however.. If you really want a great concealer ( I am a pro at covering up redness, pimples, cyst, years of exp) and want to splurge or save for one Prescriptives has a great concealer and Laurer Mercier has a camouflage kit, which is creamy concealer in two shades in one compact one lighter and one darker that can be mixed or used sep. Good stuff these will run you about 17 for a tube of the prescriptives and 28 for the laura mercier compact..good luck!

Old 04-01-2005, 07:19 AM   #5
(female)

picksie HB User

I've also heard that the Sheer Cover line by Leeza Gibbons has a great concealer. Probably in the $20 range as well but all natural. A lot of people with scars and birthmarks on their face use it...

Old 04-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #6

cutie19 HB User

cover outlast is a really good brand of makeup uu should try it

Old 04-04-2005, 07:33 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionfaves
HSN just introduced Dermablend products. If you buy from them you have 30 days to try it. If it doesn't work you can send it back.

I second the DermaBlend. I just ordered it and I was very amazed. I have frekles and it covered my frekles right up. It also felt good on my face. I paid $18 for the base and about the same for the powder. It's worth it.

About the 30 days. I talked directly to the lady that was selling it and she told me I had 30 days to decide too. She was very nice and said that if the color wasn't right(because I was concerned I didn't have the right shade), to just send it back and she would send me something else to try. I was very pleased.

Last edited by hanelo4; 04-06-2005 at 02:47 AM.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
(female)

nailchick2000 HB User

I've found plenty of makeups that cover freckles and birthmarks, but those pock marks from acne are very hard to hide.. they have to be filled in so the light hits your skin evenly.. some makeups even make the pock marks more obvious!

Old 04-06-2005, 09:02 AM   #9

marcy_25 HB User

sheer cover works great! i saw it on tv, and i never have bought something off tv before, although i have been tempted, but i thought, what the heck. it was a good deal and price, and your money is refundable if you didnt like it. i got it, and i am in love! i have a few scars from old breakouts, and this covers them great. plus you blend the shades to get the perfect color for your skin tone. i really recommend it.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:53 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

staceymp HB User

try a concealer that matches your skin under tones first. i swear by l'oreal true match. it comes in a chapstick sized tube with a little brush adn goes on smooth not cakey and covers up blemishes etc. then apply cover up after that. just figure out your undertone and then go get some at the store adn let us know!! stacey

Old 06-12-2005, 07:38 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

derma blend was horrible. WAY WAY WAY too thick and cakey. I felt like I was applying play dough to my face. Definitely would not recommend!

Old 06-12-2005, 09:21 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User

I absolutely love L'oreal's "True Match". I use the foundation and the concealer!! I have oily, blemished, sensitive skin and this stuff works great for me!

mommaoftwinsplus1

Old 06-13-2005, 02:29 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie4u22
derma blend was horrible. WAY WAY WAY too thick and cakey. I felt like I was applying play dough to my face. Definitely would not recommend!

I'm sorry Derma Blend wasn't right for you Did you mix it in your hand before you applied it? The reason I purchased it was because I sweat a whole lot and it works great when I sweat. It doesn't come off at all. Even when I exercise it still looks great. I already wear thick makeup, so it worked great for me.

Chantel

Old 06-13-2005, 06:47 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Yes, I followed the guidelines correctly, I just felt that my face couldn't "breathe." I got it while I was on Accutane and my skin was breaking out horribly. I wanted something to cover everything up, but at the same time, I wanted something that was light and would look natural. I got the Derma blend, and it covered everything up, but I felt like I was wearing a mask. I am very sensitive to the feel of makeup on my skin - if I feel like it's too much, it drives me crazy, and derma blend was definitely way too much for me (before I had severe acne, I was the kind of girl where too much pressed powder on a fresh face felt like I was overdoing it.)

I probably should have gone into a little more detail about my situation before lashing out at the brand. It's a good coverup, but for people like me who hate the feel of makeup on their face, it may be a little thick! But I suppose if you want to cover up scars/acne like I did, you kinda HAVE to use a thick makeup ... so I was in a lose-lose situation. Well good luck to everyone, and my advice is to just shop around and find what is best for your skin and how you feel.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:19 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie4u22
I didn't care for it either!! At first I thought it might be working until I looked in my rear view mirror in broad daylight OMG!!!! I wanted to drive home and take it off. It was way too visable and fake looking for me.
The only postive I found was it was pretty waterproof.

Closed Thread