It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 07:39 AM   #1
(female)

CAIJ HB User
Acrylic Nail Question - Help

Has anyone heard of having a light coat of acrylic put on your natural nails to make them stronger and so the polish lasts longer without chipping? Would that ruin your natural nails or give them a chance to grow under the acrylic? Any other ideas on making polish stay on. I have tried many topcoats and none of them work.

Thanks

Old 05-19-2005, 12:29 PM   #2

dreeeemer HB User
Re: Acrylic Nail Question - Help

I agree that polish never stays on no matter what I do and acrylic would definitly make the polish stay on, but it will probably make your nails weaker in the long run.

In order to get the acrylic to stay on, they have to file down your natural nails. Back when I used to get acrylic, they would file so much the skin under my nails felt like it was burning. When they remove the acrylic your natural nails are so thin, I call them "soft shelled crab nails" (yeah, I am from Maryland!) and they hurt and break as soon as they get any length. It takes a month or so for them to grow back to 'normal' but I am pretty sure mine are ruined, they now have little lines in them, even after more than two years. If you want to go acrylic, I think you have to do it for good and be ready to commit to it. They can look really nice if you don't let them get too thick or too long but it is hard to go back once you have them and I really don't think it would produce the effect you want (short-term support, then take the acrylic off).

Maybe look into the 'wraps' I have never had one, but I think they wrap silk around your natural nails to keep them strong. I dont think that your nails would stay strong if you took the wrap off, but it might work better for what you want.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2005, 01:33 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User

I wore acrylic nails for years! They are HORRIBLE for your nails. They weaken your real nail(paper thin) grow fungus, lifting, turn yellow! They are plain disgusting! I couldnt live without them. So, i found a place that does gel nails------they form the nail on your finger, so there isnt an artificial nail, or acrylic on them. This is so awesome! My nails have grown out. Oh, the reason i had them for sooooo long, is i chew my nails!!! I find this to not be so damaging to your real nails. I would look for a salon that does that.

Old 05-23-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Curious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess72
I wore acrylic nails for years! They are HORRIBLE for your nails. They weaken your real nail(paper thin) grow fungus, lifting, turn yellow! They are plain disgusting! I couldnt live without them. So, i found a place that does gel nails------they form the nail on your finger, so there isnt an artificial nail, or acrylic on them. This is so awesome! My nails have grown out. Oh, the reason i had them for sooooo long, is i chew my nails!!! I find this to not be so damaging to your real nails. I would look for a salon that does that.
I've always been curious about gel nails. How is it put on? Do you have to get it refilled? Is the gel always there? If so, how is that not artificial?

Old 05-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Curious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAIJ
Has anyone heard of having a light coat of acrylic put on your natural nails to make them stronger and so the polish lasts longer without chipping? Would that ruin your natural nails or give them a chance to grow under the acrylic? Any other ideas on making polish stay on. I have tried many topcoats and none of them work.

Thanks
I think whether you choose to have a "light coat" of acrylic or a thick coat, the process is the same and the end result is the same -- you have acrylic nails -- strong, resiliant, and a polished look that typically does not fade, chip or peel on its own.

I have had acrylic nails for about 20 YEARS.

I have never had a fungus.
I have never had an infection.
I have had only two or three breaks which caused great pain.
In the last ten years, I've only had one or two broken nails a year.
In the last ten years, I've had only two or three nails "lift"--total.

I get them taken care of regularly, so they don't have a chance to turn yellow.

YES, when I have removed them (about four times in 20 years), the underlying fingernail is very weak. Nails are like hair. If you color or damage your hair, the only way to see beautiful, NEW hair is to wait for it to grow out.

When you remove acrylic nails, your nails should not be ruined forever. The nail beneath the acrylic will be weak and thin -- as would any material that was ground down to encourage adhesion of the acrylic. How long it takes is different for everybody, but when a brand NEW nail has had the time to grow completely out, you should not be able to tell that you ever had acrylic nails. At least that has been my experience and what I have also seen in others.

I find it odd when people say their nails were ruined forever. That would take a lot of damage to the deep nail bed tissue -- and would be presumably extremely painful. Ouch!!

Old 05-24-2005, 04:27 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User

Yes, to an extent gel nails are artificial. The place i go, does not put a tip on your real nail. They form a nail with gel, to your real nail, making your real nail extend! I have had no problems. When your real nail grows out, then you can file the gel off your real nail, and then you put nail strengthner on your real nail. After filing down your, real nails arent as thin, and with gel you dont have the problems that CAN occur when having acrilyic nails. Course everyone's experience will be different. With acrylics, lifting can occur if your hands are in water alot.......like mine were, at my job! Gel is more expensive............but worth it to me.

Old 05-24-2005, 05:12 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I only have 3 nails that have acrylic onthem - splitting problems with those 3. I have my nails done every Friday. On Monday morning, I touch up the paint on the ends/tips and then put on a fresh coat of top cost. Manicure looks great all week.

Closed Thread