It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

uberkelly HB User
No matter what I do, you can see the hair follicles on my legs

I am extremely pale.

When I shave, you can still see all the dark dots where hair grows out of my legs. Even immediately after shaving, my legs look gross and you can see every single follicle.

I have tried waxing my legs and that probably gives me the best result. However, it is painful and messy. But the biggest problem is that you have to let the hair grow very long before you can do it again, which is impossible to get away with in the summer.

Self-tanners do nothing; sometimes it looks worse. I actually got a bit of a real tan last summer (was in SE Asia for 3 months) and it looked a bit better, but you could still see every follicle.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do? Even if I've shaved 10 minutes prior, my legs look hairy to anyone who would see me in shorts or a skirt. I am not very hairy, I just have dark hair and light skin.

Old 05-22-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
Inactive

kerry1 HB User
Re: No matter what I do, you can see the hair follicles on my legs

SUPPOSEDLY, there are products that pull hair out by the roots even if it's barely grown out. Never tried them. Epilady? Supposed to be painful, though.

Or you might try microdermabrasion products, which are supposed to shrink pores. Haven't tried them yet either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
Inactive

STaM HB User

I'm in the same situation, dark hair & extremly pale, for years I didn't dare to walk with skirts/shorts, a little while ago I've started laser treatments - it's amasing! Didn't get rid of all the hair yet but it's getting there...recently I even started sweimming regulary 'cause finally I feel comfortable showing my legs...it costs alot but worth it!

Old 05-23-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
(female)

uberkelly HB User

Laser treatments -- Laser hair removal? can you tell me more about your experience? I didn't realize you could do this on your legs. Does it take lots of visits? Is it expensive?
Thanks for the info, I will look into it.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
Inactive

STaM HB User

I think the legs area is the most popular area for laser hair removal. Anyway, I've had 5 sessions by now on my legs and bikini area. I'm almost hair free now, only the thin almost colorless hairs are still there so I'm guessing one more session. It's a bit painful but not more than waxing...
If you're planning to do it, make sure the procedure is done by a doctor and ask for a test run on a small area. Also ask about the different kind of lasers they use. My early sessions I've had the LightSheer Laser and on the last one they've changed it to the Alexandrite (only good for pale skin) and I was very pleased with it!!
Can't say much about the price, it varies from place to place, some they money per session and others (like mine) charge a large sum for as many session as you want, until you're pleased with the result...it's expensive, but it lasts....
P.S: Sorry about my poor English, it's not my first language...

Last edited by STaM; 05-23-2005 at 02:46 PM.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:04 AM   #6

Lillykins HB User

I have exactly the same problem, with pale skin and dark hair growing on my legs it used to look really bad when I used to shave, but for the last few years I started to wax on a regular basis and I can notice a very big difference.

I have been having some lazer treatments on my arms (not underarms but the arms it self), because i have loads of hair there too and after the 5th treatment i can notice a HUGE difference, the hair that still grows back is allot thinner and there are big patches hair free I will stop it for a few months due to summer tanning but definantly go back to it in october or something. It is very expensive (not affordable to many in my county at least) but if you can just give it a try and i think you will be pleased.

Lili

Old 05-29-2005, 06:35 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

robertthepillow HB User

stam and lilikins:

how much did you pay, so we know roughly how much it is...

and is this safe? ive heard of laser treatment before but iuve never wanted to get it done because it doesnt sound all that safe...

Old 05-30-2005, 09:51 AM   #8
(female)

eccentric HB User

i had the same problem until i started using hair removal cream. if you want to know more post and i will reply!

Old 05-30-2005, 10:23 AM   #9

Marie79 HB User

I have this exact same problem too. Pale white skin and really dark hair.

I've been getting Laser Hair Removal. It costs me an arm and a leg but seems to be working. I can't remember the laser they're using on me. They got a new one half way through my treatments that they said was better and we've been using that one since. I just had my 5th treatment on my legs. I've had 7 on my underarms and 7 on my bikini however. I will need at least another treatment on both. My laser place changed their statement from 3-5 treatments from 5-8, because no one was getting hair free in only 3 treatments!

It's expensive and it hurts. But I've never been able to wear a dress or shorts or capris in over 15 years because my legs are so white with the little black dots all over them. I decided I would use my SAVINGS to pay for it if I had to, but luckily I make enough that I can pay for it out of my paychecks.. but it's causing me to live paycheck to paycheck without any savings, because I'm always going in there for laser on my underams, bikini, and lower legs!

Old 05-30-2005, 11:00 AM   #10

Lillykins HB User

Hi robert

It is a bit expensive but there are different ways of paying. Sometimes you pay a steady amount and do as many sessions as you consider necessary, in my case it's a price per session depending on the area you want 'worked'. I have been doing my arms (not the underarms) for 150 euros and I already had 5 sessions and will need a few more (i'm not trying to achieve the total hairless area if a few hair remain i won't be too bothered). But for example the underarms are 80 euros, the legs are 250, and so on ...

As Marie already said, it is a bit painful too (not exactly as they say) and I think it is safe if you go to a place followed by doctors and where you can ask your questions. The first time I got a bit scared because when I finished it had red marks allover my arms and this burning/stinging feeling but the lady explained that it was normal and the feeling would go away in 15 mins of so, all i needed was to apply a refreshing gel

In my oppinion it's all worth it because I can wear short sleeves without feeling bad about the hair showing.

Last edited by Lillykins; 05-30-2005 at 11:04 AM.

Closed Thread