It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2005, 10:35 PM   #1
(female)

Jazz Soul HB User
Question tanning salon sessions

hello. i am naturally colored but i am light complected. and i'm a little "pale" these days because i haven't spent much time in the sun this year. so i'm thinking about going to the tanning salon..
but i was wondering how many tanning salon sessions does it take to achieve a noticeable difference.. and how often should you go? also, generally speaking, how much do the typical packages cost?

i want to know what i should expect before i go in, so hopefully someone here can fill me in, thanks..

Old 05-24-2005, 08:46 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

staceymp HB User
Re: tanning salon sessions

it depends on your skin color. if you have blond hair blue eyes, it takes longer and is more dangerous. do you burn easily in the sun? i have been tanning for about 5 yrs. im 21 now and i have dark hair adn dark eyes and i never burn but it still takes me atleast 5 sessions to develop a base tan and thats only going every 3 days at first starting out at like 8 mins and working your way up to 15 or 20.,... so it really depends on your skin color and type. color lasts longer if you have a clean face w out makeup on when you tan and if your exfoliated and its best to not take a shower 2 hrs before you go in and two hrs after until tan goes in your natural oils. after you develop a base tan probably w/in 2 1/2 to 3 wks, you should not go every day which some people think makes them darker, its actually burning off the color you already had...and be careful make sure you know the chances of skin cancer for your type. as for prices, it depends where you live. i live in WI and here you buy your minutes. heres a chart i found on my tanning salons website and thers also packages that you can buy like a month unlimited for like $60.theres also the new mystic tan which is like a airbrush tan but only lasts like 2 wks, but i havent tried it. i know some places are walk-in while others require appointments. like i said it depends where you live tho for prices, etc. call a few places in your town to see whos prices are best. hope this helps, adn good luck!! stacey
MINUTES LEVEL 1 LEVEL 2 LEVEL 3 LEVEL 4
8 $4.00 $6.40 $12.00 $16.00
12 $6.00 $9.60 $18.00 $24.00
15 $7.50 $12.00 $22.50 $30.00
30 $15.00 $24.00 $45.00 $60.00
60 $30.00 $48.00 $90.00 $120.00
100 $45.00 $70.00 $135.00 $175.00
200 $80.00 $135.00 $260.00 $340.00
300 $120.00 $190.00 $375.00 $500.00
500 $175.00 $300.00 $600.00 $695.00

MYSTIC UV SUNLESS SPRAY
SESSIONS PRICE SAVINGS
1 SESSION $30.00 ---
2 SESSIONS $45.00 Save $15!
5 SESSIONS $99.00 Save $51!
10 SESSIONS $150.00 Save $150!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2005, 02:21 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

greeneyes100 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Soul
hello. i am naturally colored but i am light complected. and i'm a little "pale" these days because i haven't spent much time in the sun this year. so i'm thinking about going to the tanning salon..
but i was wondering how many tanning salon sessions does it take to achieve a noticeable difference.. and how often should you go? also, generally speaking, how much do the typical packages cost?

i want to know what i should expect before i go in, so hopefully someone here can fill me in, thanks..
If you are pale, you should just go for about 15 minutes the first time. I go no more than once per week and keep just the right amount of color. Also, I keep my make-up on my face as a sunscreen, so as not to get too much on my face.

As long you start out slowly and don't burn, visiting a tanning salon once or twice per week I don't think will damage your skin. It's when people overdo it that it causes photoaging. The burn is actually what causes photoaging from the sun, not the tan.

I never go for more than 20 minutes, because after that I burn. I was using tanning towels, which work wonderfully, and look natural, but they get to be pretty expensive. Most tanning salons charge about $5.00 per session for a regular bed.

Old 05-24-2005, 04:02 PM   #4

dreeeemer HB User

Actually, Greeneyes, that is not true, you are damaging your skin even if you don't burn. But that never stopped me from tanning.

Jazz, I would suggest that you talk to the person at the salon, since they will know best. I am fair and will burn pretty easily although I do eventually tan. I start out going every day (unless i 'feel' burnt then i might skip one) but only for about 5 minutes at first (again this depends on the strength of the bed and how recently the bulbs have been changed)after about 2 days i up my minutes to 6 then 7 until I reach the full time (usually 15-20 min is the max) after you hit 10 minutes, you really should only go every other day or every third day. Once you hit 20 you should only go once or twice a week.

Also, personally, I tan very quickly on my face and so I cover up my face for about half the session, this keeps your face from burning or being too scary-tan, but I guess that depends on the person. Don't be afraid to use the towel to cover parts that feel too hot (between my breasts and my butt are two spots that get burned quickly) or to get out early if you are feeling too hot. Also be sure to move around a bit, raise your arms up over your head and turn your knees out to get spots that might be covered (armpits and between your legs) so you don't end up with scary white spots. You should also try to move around side to side so you don't get lines from where the bulbs separate.

i know this seems like a lot to think about but I know people never told me this when I first went tanning, and I ended up with big white spots under my arms and stripes down my back. Hopefully technology has improved over time, but it is still good to know!

Be careful and dont over do it!
Dre

Oh, and here where I live (DC) tanning costs about $5-$7 for a session in a regular bed (very basic, nothing fancy) and you can get a monthly unlimited for I guess about $40-$60 (I recomend the unlimited while you build your base tan, because you really should go for quite a few days in a row)

Old 05-26-2005, 09:11 AM   #5
(female)

Yekcoh4 HB User

Some people achieve a nice base tan in as little as 5 sessions, some upwards of 10+. I pay $12 for the max time in a base bed and $24 for an upgrade and $28 for the max in a High Pressure bed (well worth it!). Pricey, but it comes with the territory (Long Island) and the salon is higher end. I agree with what the others have been saying. The 3 MOST important things regarding tanning are moderation (tan every other day at most, any more will actually hurt your tan and lead to overexposure), eye protection, and a good lotion (salon quality, not drugstore). To avoid missing spots while tanning, try rotating traditional beds with standup units, but be careful because standups are generally more powerful than beds, so just use a lower time.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

Is it ok to just use standups and no beds at all? What would be the routine with standups? I am just too claustrophobic to use a bed. No matter how hard I'm trying to convince myself it will be ok, I am not able to. I tried using self-tanners but I haven't found one that wouldn't streak (nor stink) yet.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #7
(female)

Yekcoh4 HB User

Yes, some people use strictly standups. (I believe Hollywood Tans only have standups, at least the one around here do) The only real reason someone would prefer a bed is the comfort, some prefer to lay down and relax. Standup sessions are generally shorter though because the units are usually stronger. For example, to replace my 16 minute session in the base bed, I do an 8 minute session in the standup, and thats fairly equivalent. Though it depends SO much on the type of unit as to how much time you will need. Some bed are suprisingly HUGE inside. There is a bed called the SunSector which is literally big enough for 3 people. The routine for standups would be the same as laydowns. 3-4 times a week until you reach your base, then 2-3 times a week to maintain. Though base beds, upgrade beds and HP beds make a HUGE difference. For example. HP beds are costly, sometimes up to $30 a session, but 3 times a month is MORE than enough to maintain, in comparison to a base bed, which is about $7-10 a session, but it can take 3 sessions a week to maintain. You're best bet is to rotate the beds you use as much as possible, don't stick to just one unit.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

Thank you, that was definitely helpful! What's an HP bed? I am really ignorant when it comes to indoor tanning. Also, which of the salon brand lotions would you recommend? They're quite expensive so I would like to buy one that's really good.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:13 PM   #9
(female)

Yekcoh4 HB User

HP beds contain almost no UVB rays (the rays that burn) and about 99% UVA rays - UVA is the light that turns pink melanin brown. It's relatively hard to burn in an HP even for an inexperienced tanner.

You can tell the difference between standard beds and HP beds because standard beds will have long white bulbs and HP will have (approx) 6"x6" purple squares.

Everyone has their favorites as far as lotion. My favorite by FAR is California Tan Seven Maximizer Step 2 (or CT7), it's not good for building a base, but more for breaking a plateau, and WOW...talk about BROWN!!!!!!!!!!!!! But it's one of the more expensive at about $90, but IMO, this bottle is worth 100x's more than 2 bottles of $50 so-so lotion!! For basic accelerators I like Australian Gold Browning Fury (has a bronzer) , California Tan Liquidox (has a bronzer), California Tan Ambrosia Dark Frost (AWESOME cooling accelerator, no bronzer, about $50) Matahari Envy My Dramatic Darkness (good accelerator, no bronzer). There are many different types of lotions - basic accelerators, accelerating bronzers, tingles, cooling lotions, bronzing tingles, cooling tingles...etc. If you are very pale, stay away from bronzers (there is bronzer in the lotion so on top of helping your actual tan, it will darken you instantly with a cosmetic bronzer) because you can look orange! Stay away from tingles in the beginning (they redden the skin by bringing blood to the surface, developing a great tan, but they can be very hot and uncomfortable, they come in different "levels".

I'm happy to talk about tanning so don't worry about asking questions

Old 05-26-2005, 01:10 PM   #10
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Oh please oh please oh please oh please don't go to a tanning salon. I don't think they're much safer than the actual sun.

There's a new product that is "flying off the shelves" in supermarkets called Jergens Natural Glow. I am on the waiting list for the next shipment. It is a tinted lotion that verrrry slowly turns your skin a natural-looking tan, no streaks, and it's getting rave reviews. There's a fair and medium version.

My parents ran around in the sun when they were kids and got nice and brown and have not gotten skin cancer (just pre-cancer lesions that were easily removed). My olive-skinned mother turned dark quickly; my vanilla-skinned father, not so fast. But back in their day, THERE WAS AN OZONE LAYER. These days, little kids are getting melanoma.

Please don't push your luck. Not with all the safe alternatives out there. Wrinkles and age spots can be reversed these days. But not melanoma.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:12 PM   #11
(female)

Yekcoh4 HB User

I saw this coming...as I do everytime I even mention a tanning salon

Old 05-26-2005, 06:13 PM   #12
(female)

KRBR0227 HB User

I have been tanning off & on for, gosh, about 6 years now. I just recently within the past 2 weeks, started going again. I have tried the MysticTan.. It's nice... If you don't put enough "barrier cream" on your feet and hands, they'll turn ORANGE. Oompa Loompa ORANGE. And my tan only lasted about 5 days. You can get it to last longer though, by exfoliating before you go.

Tanning in beds/stand-ups, make sure you MOISTURIZE! Especially at night before you go to sleep and when you get out of the shower, you should put lotion on. I was reading the UVB rays are reflected off dry skin, thus not tanning you. If you put tanning lotion on before your session, that will take care of it, but be sure to follow up with moisturizer after, too. It's the worst thing when you have a great tan and you start to peel because your skin isn't moisturized.

My tanning salon that I go to has a "Leg Tanner" which works awesome! My legs are difficult to tan, so it is the best thing. I use the stand up one day, the leg tanner the next, leg tanner, stand up, leg tanner, and so on, so that my legs are as tan as the rest of my body.

Closed Thread