It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 07:15 AM   #1
(female)

justcurious827 HB User
Trying to lighten black dyed hair.

My natural color is about medium to dark brown and about a month or two ago I dyed it black. I liked it for awhile and now I'm starting to look pale and older. Naturally, I want to dye it back to my natural color, possibly a shade or two lighter: medium to light golden brown.

What I did was get a light golden brown. It turned out two-toned. My roots are the light golden brown and the rest of my hair is still black, maybe *slightly* lighter with a reddish tint in bright light.

I know I should go to a salon and ask them to professionally color it. However, I hate the salon experience and rather not spend all that money. If there is another route you might know about, please en"lighten" me!

Thanks in Advance to those of you who reply.

I just called a local salon and she charges about $60 an hour (takes about 3-4 hours) to strip the black and then color. Like $200, Aack!

Last edited by justcurious827; 06-20-2005 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Update.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:28 AM   #2

sptn_dean HB User
Re: Trying to lighten black dyed hair.

When I was younger, I wanted to try out some new colors for my hair. I have naturally blonde- very, VERY light colored hair. So I tried out the semi-permanent dark brown and it looked great. When I went for permanent, it was black... ahh! I lived with it for a while, but instead of trying to dye it back to a lighter color I went in and had a weave and got some great highlights. Small, evenly distributed highlights throughout dark hair really does help lighten the overall appearance of it, and helps the dark color fade more quickly. Now I'm back to my natural blonde, thank God... I'll never do that again!

For at-home highlights, I would recommend the Herbal Essences highlighting kits- use the one for lightest hair- that ones give the brightest highlights- platinum and pretty... not brassy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2005, 09:53 AM   #3
(female)

tanya68 HB User

I have had this same experience with my daughter just a month ago. (bought a blonde thinking it would turn black dyed hair lighter, and, just the roots got light) We ended up going up to CVS, and, buying a hair color remover. It's in the same section as the haircolors...I think it was L'oreal. She kept it on for 60 mins, and, just about all traces of black were gone. The next day we dyed it a golden brown, and, it looks just great now.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
(female)

Jelohi HB User

If you search this forum, you will find a lot of threads on this subject (many of them are in the hair problems board). I know because I just looked the other day! I'm surprised it's not more commonly known that you can't change dark dyed hair lighter by recoloring it. I didn't know before a couple years ago! I use semi-permanent color now & one of the tricks I read on here to lighten that was Dawn dish soap. I tired that since I had some and it worked. If you used permanent color, you'll have to "strip" it. You can buy the stuff to do that at Sally Beauty Supply. That will take it down to a light orangey color and then you have to re-dye it the color you want. It is risky & you can mess up your hair. I did it a while ago when my hair got too dark a red & it came out fine.

Old 07-06-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

Color remover is the best thing. You may have to get a couple boxes. You will also have to go over it with the color you want when it is finished. Don't leave it on for 60 min!!! If it takes that long you should rinse it out and start over again. Don't be surprised on how brittle your hair ends out. The best thing to do is avoid going black. Both of my little sisters colored their hair black. It was a good thing I had been to cosmetology school!! Otherwise, they would have been going to a salon or living with it until it was long enough to cut it out!! Be vary careful. If it breaks off, you can't glue it back on.

Closed Thread