It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2005, 07:02 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User
Haircolor Turned Out Too Dark, What Should I Do?

Please someone help me! I used a home coloring kit. I want to get to my natural medium brown color, so I used Herbal Essence Medium Brown and now I have BLACK hair! Is there some way to lighten the color up a bit? Seems like I remember someone posting to use Joy dish soap or Prell shampoo, I really cannot remember. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME

Old 07-23-2005, 07:58 AM   #2
(female)

Toni_no12002 HB User
Re: Haircolor Turned Out Too Dark, What Should I Do?

hi you could try having some highlights put it to lighten it up.if its a permanent colur there isnt any shampoo you can buy to get rid of it as it is permanent.if you dont want highlights i would suggest going to a hairdressers who could use certain chemicals to strip the colour from your hair then redye it with a new lighter colour.this can be pretty expensive so if you are short of a bit of money try going to a college as they do these things but for cheaper.i did hairdressing at college and you get trained to deal with things like these.dont worry as everyone supervised so its doubtful that anything will go wrong good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...Yes, herbal essence is a semipermanent if I remember correctly. You can take some of the colour out (the harshness) by using shampoo and some baking soda. Careful not to scrub the hair too much to the point of damage. Rinse well. Towel dry (not scrub), then use a conditioner and leave it for about an hour. The shampoo will open the cuticle, the conditioner will leach some of the excess colour out.

Just do this once, for as you daily wash it, the colour will lighten more.

let me know how it works for you.
quincy

Last edited by quincy; 07-23-2005 at 09:09 AM.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

I wouldn't do anything too drastic. Just use a shampoo that will strip it out and wait for it to fade. It should fade really quickly.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:26 AM   #5
(female)

Jelohi HB User

After researching the same subject on this board, I tried Dawn dish soap on mine & that worked.

Old 07-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User

thanks everyone. I tried the Dawn today, and my hair is still black, but hopefully over time it will get lighter. I just wonder how long it will take before it helps.

Old 07-24-2005, 12:57 PM   #7
(female)

wannahelp HB User

my suggestion is highlights. definitely do not try another color, because color does not lighten, it only darkens or enhances. always choose one to two shades lighter than the desired color you want. this is why your hair is so dark. stripping and recoloring is very drying to the hair, and i would not recommend you attempting this by yourself.
what is your natural hair color and do you have any gray? I may be able to give you some more tips.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:49 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User

my natural color is medium brown (even though at present it is black)ha. I am probably about 5% grey, not much at all. I just have a few hidden strands! I would appreciate some tips. thanks.

Old 07-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Ms_ENV27 HB User

regular baby shampoo has always worked for me in the past when my hair was too dark. Try it, it won't hurt!

Old 07-25-2005, 02:56 PM   #10
(female)

TheKimster HB User

The same thing happened to me a few years ago!! I went to go dye my hair chocolate brown and it came out jet black. My hair stylist suggested I get highlights which I did, so it made my overall hair appearance look lighter. So I got the highlights put in which made my hair color look more natural. Even with the highlights, my hair was dark, but eventually the dye starts to fade and your brown hair will start coming through. So then you will end up with brown hair and highlights. Just give it some time. And I would suggest washing your hair with a clarifying shampoo. That shampoo I believe speeds up the fading process. Good luck!! I feel for you!!

Old 07-26-2005, 11:13 AM   #11
(female)

desertgirl HB User

This happened to me a long time ago and I called the L'oreal hotline for screwed up hair (the number on the back of the box) and they told me to use dandruff shampoo on dry hair. I did it twice - which is the number of times they recommended- and it really helped. I used head and shoulders. The shampoo doesn't get really foamy when you put it on dry hair and you have to use quite a bit to get it all over your hair evenly. It helped out quite a bit. Just make sure to deep condition your hair afterwards.

Also, herbal essesences (misspelled that terribly) always leaves my hair with too much pigment in it. The permanent one is even worse than the semi permanent one. My mom's used it before because it lasts the longest on her gray hair, but it always turns her hair black first and then fades to pretty brown. She looks good with it, but I'm not sure that the herbal essessences stuff is really all the great for the young people to whom it's marketed. Just my thoughts...

Old 07-26-2005, 12:51 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User

thanks for all your ideas! I have been using Dawn dish soap and the baby shampoo but my hair still looks black. I also called the number on the back of the box and all the lady said was to go to a hairdresser! I will try the head and shoulders. I have never heard of doing that though I will certainly give it a try. I just want to lighten up just a little where my hair will not look so black! I am stopping coloring my hair all together and I am going back to just getting a few natural highlights done. Thanks everyone
ps: forgot to mention that this was a permanent haircolor that I used!UGH

Old 07-26-2005, 01:16 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User

desertgirl, I meant to ask you about the dandruff shampoo fading out my hair color. Does this help permanent color (which is what I used), or does it really only help semipermanent color?thanks

Old 07-26-2005, 10:59 PM   #14
(female)

desertgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie in mary
desertgirl, I meant to ask you about the dandruff shampoo fading out my hair color. Does this help permanent color (which is what I used), or does it really only help semipermanent color?thanks
melanie- it worked for me when i used permanent haircolor. I used a medium brown and it came out really dark (almost black) so I called and that's what they said to do. It helped out a lot... afterwards my hair didn't look so dark and I stopped being mistaken for Wednesday Adams. My hair ended up a darkish brown with reddish highlights. It was actually sorta pretty. I also heard from a friend who had a similar problem that Neutrogena's once a week clarifying shampoo helps a lot.
I hope it works out for you.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:03 PM   #15
(female)

Alie HB User

Whatever you do, DON'T bleach your hair and re-dye it. A lot of people have problems getting the colour they want when using a store-bought hairdye. I would just suggest going to the hair salon to get it done for the extra money.

Closed Thread