It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ducttape1000 HB User
blonde to dark brown for fall!

hi. i naturally have dirty blonde and pale skin. i dye it an ash blonde and it looks good. i have perfected the art of dying it blonde; however, i have tried dying it brown in the past and it turns out super mousy! i want to go to a super dark brown cuz i think it will make my blue eyes pop! how do i do this without it turning #1. green, #2. mousy!!

Old 09-07-2005, 12:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: blonde to dark brown for fall!

Do a warm medium or dark brown.....it'll add the proper tones into the hair that lightening removes.

Don't use golden or ash brown.

What product do you usually use?

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #3
(female)

Melissa1983 HB User

Hey, I was in the EXACT same boat a couple years ago. Blue eyes and all. I had an ash blonde colour primarily. Now, I was questioning whether or not I should do this myself, but then I thought it was such a huge change, I went to a salon. Go to someone you've maybe had before, or someone who is recommended to you.

Going from blonde to a medium/dark brown, the hair colour must pass through "stages". Blonde hair usually has very little pigment in its shaft. This means that when the hair is processed with a darker colour, there is hardly any pigment for the new colour to bond too - hense the "mousey" brown effect. In order for more pigment to be inside the shaft for the brown to latch onto.. you should have it processed, first, with a colour found in between blonde and brown. This usually is a reddish colour. This will fill the shaft with enough pigment for the bornw to latch onto.

If this was an at-home job, you could get a copper-ish colour kit along with the medium/dark brown one. Have an afternoon free so you can do this multi-step hair job. You would first apply the copper colour. Allow that to set for as many minutes as it says. Once you wash it out, try not to look at it.. haha, seeing the red colour when you want brown in the end, might be shocking.. but just remember that you're a couple hours away from brown! Now that the red is all washed out.. (and don't use shampoo while washing out).. allow your hair to dry for an hour or two.. this just dries the shaft out a bit, so that the brown can get into it.. without sliding off. After the couple of hours, prepare the medium/dark brown colour, and apply. Leave this on for the set time, and voila!

Because it is such a big change, I wouldn't have been able to do it myself. I just was told these steps by my hairdresser friend. I went to her to do it, and she was able to add a copper colour into the brown hair dye that she used.. so it was a one-step process. And whichever way you use (at-home or salon) don't worry about the copper colour.. once the brown is in the shaft, you won't even see that red again!

Good luck, and just to let you know, it was the best hair change I could have ever done.. I've kept it dark brown ever since!

Old 09-13-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
(female)

Manic_Insomniac HB User

I have pale skin and dark blonde hair as well!

I went to a salon and they put Deposite only hair color (dye w/out the peroxide) and it looks great.

Go w/a reddish brown!

-Dane Cook

Old 09-14-2005, 02:14 AM   #5
(male)

smc612 HB User

i had a bad highlighting job once from a well known salon in my area. i have natural medium brown hair towards the dark side. she did it to look like a zebra. brown and thick white stripes. it was soooooooo ugly i had to hide coming in my house because my neighbors were out. sent my daughter to the drug store fro natural instincts medium brown. did it over immediately and it came out great. have been using it ever since to cover a few greys and keep it my hair from becoming drab. it brightens it and i never have roots since it is a semi-permanent. i would try a cocoa or chocolate brown if i were you. if you use a semipermanent you are not stuck with it for more than a month in case you don't like it and it is very gentle on already processed hair. herbal essence is another good one.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

I had the same question, actually. I also have pale skin, blue eyes, and naturally dark blonde/light brown hair, which I've been getting highlighted to ash blonde for years. I am getting a little bored of it, and highlights are SO expensive, but I'm afraid of dying my hair brown. Any other people with similar looks that have done it and are happy with the results? Also, I have light eyebrows--wouldn't that look weird to have blonde eyebrows and brown hair? I'm trying to picture Cameron Diaz or Gwyneth Paltrow (who have similar coloring) going brown, but somehow I don't see how that would look better on them. However, my natural color is just soo boring and I can't go back to that, either. Hmm, what to do?

Old 09-17-2005, 09:14 PM   #7
(female)

Ccarrie76 HB User

HI. MY NATURAL COLOR IS A MED LIGHT BROWN BUT HAVE BEEN COLORING MY HAIR LIGHT BLONDE FOR PROBABLY SENSE I WAS 15, I'M NOW 29. ANYWAY, ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO I DECIDED TO GO BACK BROWN. I HAD FORGOTTEN WHAT I LOOKED LIKE WITH DARK HAIR AND WAS VERY NERVOUS ABOUT GETTING IT DOWN. I HAD ALWAYS HEARD IT A BIG PROCESS TURNING BLONDE HAIR INTO BROWN SO I DECIDED TO GO TO A SALON AND GET IT DONE! I LOVED IT!!!!!!! IT'S PROBABLY THE BEST CHOICE I'VE EVER MADE (lol) IT LOOKS GREAT. I SUGGEST IF ANYONE GOES BLONDE TO BROWN THEY GO TO A SALON TO GET IT DONE!!! I THINK IF YOUR WANTING A CHANGE GO FOR IT. WHAT DO YOU GOT TO LOSE??? YOU CAN ALWAYS GO BACK BLONDE IF YOU DONT LIKE IT.

Closed Thread