It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jill30 HB User
Saran Wrap Highlights?

Does anyone else go to the salon and get their hair highlighted with saran wrap instead of foil? I went to my salon and my hairstylist is the only one in the salon that does highlights with saran wrap. I never get chunky highlights and thats always what I want. Help

Old 10-11-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User
Re: Saran Wrap Highlights?

If you can find a picture of how chunky you are wanting the highlights, bring it in! Your hair stylist doesn't know exactly what you are wanting. I have never heard of using saran wrap. Sounds kinda interesting. I'll have to try it the next time I do a highlight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2005, 06:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jill30 HB User

I do bring in a picture from the hair magazine everytime and she never copies it.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

Well, she might just be one of those stylists that are stuck in their ways!! There are some like that. I would suggest finding another one then. If you have shown her what you want and she still doesn't give you it to you. She isn't gonna satisfy you. Next time, try using someone else. I prefer a male. Most of them are gay. So, they don't hit on you and they want you to look pretty!!

Old 10-13-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
(female)

Abby214 HB User

Hi, I never heard of using Saran Wrap on highlights before either, but I would thing the results would be about the same as foil. I think maybe she isn't clear on what you want. The size of the highlights would be from the amount of hair she is highlighting.
I agree, maybe it's time to find a new stylist...I have found after you go to someone for awhile you get in a rut and it seems they stop listening to you. So, then it time to move on

Abby

Old 12-02-2005, 05:04 AM   #6
(female)

worldtraveler HB User

I think the Saran Wrap is the old way of putting in highlights. I've had it done a few times on my hair, but the foil always yielded better results for me. The skill of the stylist is ESSENTIAL for foil. It takes skill to use foil properly, and it's much easier (but harder on the hair) for stylists to just pull the hair through saran wrap.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

amy2705 HB User

My old colorist used saran wrap instead of foil. I asked her about it once and she said it was just the way she was taught - the person she trained with used it. She reckons it didn't affect the results.

It's funny - I always want very fine highlights and she always did them chunkier than I wanted (also despite pictures!).

I don't think that the saran wrap is the problem - I think it's the colorist and him/her not "getting" what the client wants.

I just switched colorists. New ones uses foil ... but I think the difference isn't the saran wrap v. foil ... it's just that she "gets" what I want.

Maybe trying a new colorist is a solution? LIke someone else said, some colorists just do what they do ... and don't really listen to the client.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:39 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

There is just more control with foil. You know (or the stylist) exactly where the highlights are gonna be. Alot of salons are using caps. Sometimes the color bleeds through and you have a big blob on the top of your head. How nice! I have also seen several of the new stylists who just put highlights through the top section of your head. Thats all fine and dandy until you decide you want to pull your hair up! lol! Then it makes you look like a skunk.

Old 12-04-2005, 07:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

amy2705 HB User

When my old sylist used saran wrap, she did the highlights exactly the same as you would with foil - only she used saran wrap. She did not use a cap at all.

I don't see how the same technique could produce hugely different results - it's just what you wrap the hair & dye with - either saran wrap or foil.

Obviously, a cap is a different matter... It's a totally different technique.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:19 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jill30 HB User

She does not use a cap its saran wrap pieces. I do not like how it comes out at all.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:09 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

It really sounds like you just need to find a new stylist. Maybe you have a friend that knows someone good.

Goodluck!

Closed Thread