It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
Veteran

HelpHelpHelp HB User
Vaseline

I've heard that applying vaseline to the eyelids and undereye area before bed can be helpful in preventing wrinkles. Is this true? Has anyone heard such?

Is it worth my picking up some vaseline next time I'm out?

I am in my mid 20s and wrinkles aren't really a problem yet, but I want to prevent them from becoming such.

Old 12-03-2005, 06:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User
Re: Vaseline

I use it too! It does really work great. I had cracked heels on my feet and was using all the over the counter products that cost big bucks. I finally just starting using Vasilene and it cleared right up I also use it on my hands and cuticles.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
Inactive

LeeLee3 HB User

I've never heard about using it for under eyes. I like my eye cream for daytime because it has SPF, which I guess is really important for that area. I might try the Vaseline at night. I already have it around, so it's worth a try!

Old 12-05-2005, 07:30 AM   #4
(female)

mediamom HB User

My 70 year old mother has been using vaseline under and on her eyes my entire life and all I can say is she looks amazing. Here eyes are truly unlined. Now she has great skin so can't say how much is genetics (she has aged very well and looks far younger than her years) but I can say that she never used anything fancy on her eyes/skin---just plain old Vaseline and heavy moisturizers (she's on the dry side). She also has always used lots of vaseline on her lips too by the way...Funny, to this day, she keeps a jar by her bed to stay "moist."

Old 12-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
(female)

nisam78 HB User

I use Vaseline pretty much everywhere. I love trying new things so I am always buying something but it seems like the Vaseline does the best.
I put it under eyes at night. Actually I put it pretty much everywhere at night.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mursy HB User

I used this product for years until I found out it is toxic to our skin and is absorbed into our bodies. You are right it works great topically but other than that it is really not a good thing for us to be putting on our skin. I hated giving it up but found more natural alternatives to it.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:14 PM   #7
Veteran

HelpHelpHelp HB User

so Moxie, are you urging against the eye area application? Or just use all together? I am bit confused...

Old 12-09-2005, 04:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

I know my Dr. told me to use it so I doubt she would if it was harmful.
It's been around far too long to be harmful, if that were the case it would have been pulled from the market decades ago.

Old 12-09-2005, 05:05 AM   #9
(female)

KimGM HB User
Lightbulb Re: Vaseline

My ex-mother-in-law used it her whole life and she had the prettiest skin I had ever seen. She was 73 when she died, but her sking looked a lot better than mine and I am 30+ years younger. I guess I should start using it.haha

Old 12-09-2005, 05:37 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

mursy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpHelpHelp
so Moxie, are you urging against the eye area application? Or just use all together? I am bit confused...
I'm going against vasoline on your body in any area. There are so many other natural products out there that work just as good because I use them now. I know people say that their family members used it and they looked great but the truth is good sking does not come form topical solutions alone. In fact topical creams contribute a small percentage to good skin. The reason for good skin comes down to diet and nutrition and good oils like omega 3s, vitamin e, oil of evening primrose. Eating salmon and makerel, olive oil. They are the real keys to great skin.

Old 12-09-2005, 05:46 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie_75
I'm going against vasoline on your body in any area. There are so many other natural products out there that work just as good because I use them now. I know people say that their family members used it and they looked great but the truth is good sking does not come form topical solutions alone. In fact topical creams contribute a small percentage to good skin. The reason for good skin comes down to diet and nutrition and good oils like omega 3s, vitamin e, oil of evening primrose. Eating salmon and makerel, olive oil. They are the real keys to great skin.

Moxie, I strongly agree with you that it is mostly your diet. I take flax oil and notice how nice it makes my skin and hair, never gets such nice results from a topical solution. Although I have never heard before that vaseline is toxic to the body. I always thought it was a natural substance and was good for you. Where did you hear that from I would like to search into it? thanks for the info

Old 12-09-2005, 05:58 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Lets not forget Genetics, that plays a bigger role than anything in how our skin ages. Sunscreen is also a must which is topical.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:00 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpHelpHelp
I've heard that applying vaseline to the eyelids and undereye area before bed can be helpful in preventing wrinkles. Is this true? Has anyone heard such?

Is it worth my picking up some vaseline next time I'm out?

I am in my mid 20s and wrinkles aren't really a problem yet, but I want to prevent them from becoming such.
Other than being heavy and oily, I don't see any harm in it. All these topical things will help, but nothing beats a good diet/lots of water, and plenty of sun screen. I would put sun screen at the top of the list though. Photoaging from the sun is by far the biggest wrinkle producer of all. A nice tan might look good at first, but the skin pays for it later.
Good diet + sun screen + hydrated skin = Look younger longer.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #14
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie_75
Flaxseed is great I use it also. Vasoline is petroleum jelly. There is a good product called un-petroleum jelly. I worked for an environmental company and we would have to run a clean up if petroleum jelly was dumped in any stream. It's is considered a slack wax and they would test the streams to elicit toxicity. In addition hydrocarbons and are the most toxic compounds found in petroleum products.

Yes, it is the petroleum in the vaseline that makes it questionable for use. But also, I have heard from several dermatologists not to use anything under the eyes at night as it will tend to make them puffy. Just passing this along.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:53 PM   #15
(male)

websage HB User

Hi

New here...but this is an interesting thread.

Sadly, just like there will always be 'anecdotal' evidence of the old guy who died at 90 after smoking 40 capstan full strength every day since he was 15..so it will be that many people know of folks who have used Vaseline regularly throughout their lives.

The point that peopl are often overlooking is that there is overwhelming evidence that all petro-chemically derived products are toxic to humans. Such toxicity may emerge in the form of increased sensitivity, or may trigger allergies, or pehaps even the development of one or other form of cancer.

In the UK (an US) currently the cahnces of you being affected by some form of cancer during your life-time is 1 in 3!!! Some places even worse - in Singaporeit is 1 in 2 for instance!

The worst aspect of continuing to use proven toxic materials regularly on the skin is that it may not be YOU (the user) who suffers...but your children or childrens children...or even later down the generations. Animal studies have shwon that exposure to toxic substances affected offspring FIVE geneartions down the line. We as humans have only seen about two generations (2x25 = 50 years) since the introduction of tens of 1000's of man-made non-natural chemicals into our lives...stuff we come into contact with daily...often believing it is 'good' for us!

We can only gyuess the long term affects..as most of us will be long-gone...but it is our children's, children's, children who are likely to pick up the bill for us having 'wonderful looking skin' until our 70's...

The answer...use safe natural products that have been used for 1000's of years that we know are definitely beneficial.

Don't be fooled by the fact that you have used something for years and aren't ill yet! Get petro-chemicals OUT of your life now...it may not be yourself you are harming. My wife and I have useful info on toxic chemicals if of any interest?

(Oh and by the way...no offence..but to the poster who thinks that anything their doctor recommends must be safe...I'm afraid you are falling for one of the biggest mis-conceptions wround today...there is now tons of evidence. Most hard pressed GP's now rely on the drug companies to keep them briefed about 'new and efficacious' remedies..think forone moment...what are the drug companies in it for? ...That's right MONEY!)

Closed Thread