It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
My hair is breaking off at the scalp...

My sister(who is a hair stylist) gave me a perm on Sat. Now, my hair is breaking off at the scalp! I can feel little stubbley hairs all over my scalp from the breakage...it's especially bad in the front. It's very noticable in my bang area. I just ordered a bottle of K-pak Reconstructor(she recommended this)...and I'm hoping this will help. She said she has never had this happen to another client after a perm. I'm worried that I'm going to end up losing most of my hair. Is there any way I can prevent continued breakage? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks so much,
hilery

Old 01-17-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
Re: My hair is breaking off at the scalp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilery79
My sister(who is a hair stylist) gave me a perm on Sat. Now, my hair is breaking off at the scalp! I can feel little stubbley hairs all over my scalp from the breakage...it's especially bad in the front. It's very noticable in my bang area. I just ordered a bottle of K-pak Reconstructor(she recommended this)...and I'm hoping this will help. She said she has never had this happen to another client after a perm. I'm worried that I'm going to end up losing most of my hair. Is there any way I can prevent continued breakage? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks so much,
hilery
Hi Hilery,

I'm sorry this happened to you. It happened to me every time I got a perm. The last stylist I visited for a perm, had a background in chemistry. She wouldn't perm my hair without testing it first. She clipped a couple of my hairs and took them back to her lab for analysis. She came back and advised me that my hair would probably never accept a perm safely. I took her advice and stayed away from perms after that. She also gave me the prettiest cut and style I've ever had.

Whatever hair has been badly damaged will continue to break off, you can't prevent that, but the good news is, it will grow back. Plus you can use products to protect the hair that wasn't too damaged from any further damage. Hopefully the K-pack reconstructor will do that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
(female)

lucky7 HB User

Have you had your thyroid checked? That happened to me and it turned out my thyroid was out of whack.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Always happened to me when I'd get a perm. I haven't had one in over 14 years, but can still remember the feeling of panic, the stubbly feeling at my scalp. Concern I was going to go bald. Thank goodness I have thick hair.

I'm sure it's happened to other clients, too, but they probably never noticed it. I didn't realize it until I was in high school that it was happening, and I'd been getting perms since I was 10 at salons.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Thanks so much for all of your replies! I feel a lot better. Well, I went out and got a bottle of Redken Cat protein reconstructor...I used it last night and I can already tell my hair is feeling stronger. I've also been using a deep conditioning treatment. Thankfully, my hair doesn't seem to be breaking off anymore.

I have one more question. My hair had been previously colored, but the perm solution seemed to lighten my hair and gave it an orangey cast(even though the perm solution was for color-treated hair). I know that coloring is damaging, but I would really like to get this orangey color out as soon as possible. Would it be safe to put color on it this weekend? Maybe just a semi or demi permanant color?

Old 01-18-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

Your hair is seriously damaged now. You don't want to put any more chemicals on it as you may very well find yourself bald for real!

I've heard that sometimes after a "break" from chemicals and several deep conditioning treatments, you may be able to tolerate color, but it is a huge risk. Do your homework and don't do it yourself just yet. It would be a good idea to give it at least a good month or so between chemical processes.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:01 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

You can be safe doing a semi. Go darker though. It is always damaging to go lighter. You will have to do without the blonde for a little bit. After a couple months, it should be safe to color it again. Have you ever had a perm? Sometimes, medications also change the results. Don't pull your hair up (if you do, keep it as loose as possible) and try to keep off of it as much as possible. You could end up with more damage and breakage. It is best to go every other day with washing it too. Let them natural oils do their work.

Otherwise, goodluck!!

Old 01-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

If you do a demi, which can still be damaging (just not as much as pemanent) , please choose a shade somewhat lighter than the color you desire. Your damaged hair is very porous now and even a medium brown color can end up looking very black. Also, with the porousity of your hair, your color will likely fade quickly even though it will initially take darker. You can use a protein filler before coloring to help your hair hold on to color. I used a protein filler and then a demi-permanent color to get my bleached-blonde hair back to brown, and 6 months later the color is still holding. Protein fillers can be found at beauty supply stores like Sally's.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:17 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

Hilleryb,

You're so right! I forgot about that. After my last perm (many years ago) changed my hair color, I went to a salon to try to get it restored to my natural color which is between a dark blond and light brown. My hair looked BLACK when she was finished! It was horrible. I do remember the color faded fast even though it was supposed to be permanent. Thankfully!

Old 01-20-2006, 06:41 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

Protein filler will help to keep it from going too dark. It should be colored a little darker than what it is though. That is what I meant. Going just as light as what it is will do all kinds of damage and it will all be down the shower drain and in the trash can. Also, suave products will take some of the color out if it ends up a tad darker than what you were going for. Just remember that in case you ever happen to go dark for good. Stay away from suave unless you want it lighter.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Thanks so much everyone for all of your advice! I've been conditioning my hair like crazy and have done 2 treatments with K-pak. It's already looking a lot healthier. I'm thinking about trying a demi color soon, but I think I'll wait a little bit longer.

Thanks again!

Old 01-27-2006, 05:54 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User

Not to scare you but normally when you your hair is breaking off from a perm it is because the person who preformed the sevice wrapped the bands from the perm rods to tight up against your scalp. I assume the breakage is mainly up around your hairline. The best thing you can do is the K-Pak as that is protien for your hair. I would wait at least 3 weeks before more color.

Good Luck-Nikki

Last edited by NikkiNak; 01-27-2006 at 05:56 AM.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #13
(female)

relyt HB User

This is funny because when I was a teenager I would get perms and I'd have the same problem and I actually thought my hair was GROWING super fast (due to chemicals in the perm) and the fast growth would lead to me feeling the stubble (since hair usually grows a lot slower, we dont feel any stubble)...LOL...

Closed Thread