It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
Need advice on highlights while covering the silver

Hi everyone,
It has been about six to eight months since I last had a highlight. My natural hair color is dark brown and I get a couple of different shades of blonde for the highlights. Anyway, between the last time I highlighted it and this time I have noticed many new silver hairs at my part. My hair is naturally course and dry, I straighten two times a week, and I really don't want to color all of it first and then highlight. Is there something else I can do to blend the silver without coloring all of it? I guess I should have suspected that I would be getting more silvers soon, I turned 29 a couple of months ago and my mom went silver early.
Thanks for all your input,
Nodi

Old 01-23-2006, 04:28 AM   #2
(female)

BoardBabe HB User
Re: Need advice on highlights while covering the silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by NodiGoiterGirl
Hi everyone,
It has been about six to eight months since I last had a highlight. My natural hair color is dark brown and I get a couple of different shades of blonde for the highlights. Anyway, between the last time I highlighted it and this time I have noticed many new silver hairs at my part. My hair is naturally course and dry, I straighten two times a week, and I really don't want to color all of it first and then highlight. Is there something else I can do to blend the silver without coloring all of it? I guess I should have suspected that I would be getting more silvers soon, I turned 29 a couple of months ago and my mom went silver early.
Thanks for all your input,
Nodi
I am 31 and have been highlinging/coloring the outer layers of my hair, and keeping the underneath hidden/natural so I don't have to color too much. I can't think of any other way around it....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
(female)

Holly4k9 HB User

Try going for different shades of blonde.. almost to a platinum. I have a few freinds that do that..

Old 01-23-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
(female)

BoardBabe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly4k9
Try going for different shades of blonde.. almost to a platinum. I have a few freinds that do that..
I only color the outer layers of my hair, which are highlights and shades of blonde. The bad part is it's a lot of upkeeping since my natural color is dark and when it barely grows it is all dark with the grays sticking out like an eyesore shouting "I'm old, don't let the highlights fool you!" and needs coloring/highlighting immediately and looks like it's greasy when in fact it's simply the dark roots shooting out.

I keep the other 60% of my hair underneath untouched because highlighting makes hair brittle, so underneath is thick "virgin" hair that is covered with the highlighted hair, giving volume to the whole head. It just sucks when my hair is not in place because it's not the most attractive thing to see very light hair then all the dark hair underneath. Otherwise highlighting would take a big toll on the hair and when I see older women who have been highlighting for many years, some are so fried and unhealthy. I am still in the first few years and still I notice the highlighted section getting brittle and dead, so I imagine my whole head of hair would be like that if I also colored all of the hair I keep untouched underneath.

I envy the naturally blonde women who have gorgeous locks of blonde that doesn't require as invasive of highlighting to highlight and upkeep!!!

Last edited by BoardBabe; 01-23-2006 at 08:41 PM.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

I guess I could try just doing the top layer. I also thought about just nixing the highlights and just doing semi-permanent all the time. Or I could just do what I normally do and hope that the silvers won't be as visible.
Decisions decisions.
Thanks for your advice,
Nodi

Old 01-25-2006, 03:03 PM   #6
(female)

Jelohi HB User

I do semi-permanent all the time, a little lighter than my natural color, so when the roots grow out, they sort of blend. Highlights don't look good on my curly hair anyway, you can't even see them.

Closed Thread