It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2006, 04:36 AM   #1
(female)

BoardBabe HB User
What do you think is the best makeup out there???

Hi everyone, I am a relatively new member, just turned 31.

I have tried many many makeup brands over the years, from Lancome to Clinique and all of the over the counter brands.

At my age, I still haven't discovered that secret brand that makes the skin look even, without getting cakey. I look at so many faces, and the makeup looks flawless and I just want to find out what it is all you women are using. As much money as I have shelled out/wasted, I still get all cakey and un-natural. I don't think it has so much to do with the shade as it does with the brand.

My sister has beautiful skin and gets away wtih not using makeup. She sees how I struggle. Recently she purchased the bare minerals makeup, the powder kind you apply with the brush. It looks good and all, but in return because it is powder based, it makes my face SO SO SO dry!!! like really dry to the point I am afraid I will get more wrinkles.

So ladies out there, care to share what that miracle make-up brand is that makes the face look flawless without caking??? I am getting desperate!!!!!!!! Will pay/try just about anything at this point, but I have been paying/wasting so much for brands that REALLY do not work INCLUDING lancome, clinique, revlon (HORRIBLE!!!), covergirl (REALLY BAD) and many others.

THANKS!!!

Old 01-23-2006, 08:15 AM   #2
(female)

Kelmom HB User
Re: What do you think is the best makeup out there???

Hi, I'm 31 also. I just started using Merle Norman about a month ago and I love it. I use the foundation and powder. I've been getting a lot of compliments on my face now. I was using Avon which I liked also, but after trying Merle Norman this looks so much better on my face.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
(female)

BoardBabe HB User

Thanks Kelmom. I've never heard of that brand but will give it a try!!. BB.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
(female)

amylynn123 HB User

Jane Iredale, by far....
They have mineral make up and it works on your skin while it is on
It is expensive, so try to buy it on the internet where you could probably find it pretty cheap....

Old 01-26-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

caliente HB User

one of my little tricks: make sure to exfoliate and moisturize well before putting on makeup. it makes the application much easier, and it will look nicer.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

I don't use any foundation. Occasionally, a concealer in spots. I use baby powder with a brush, eye makeup, and a lip gloss. That pretty much sums it up. I got tired of looking oily throughout the day. I would go to blot some of the oil off and was always taking off a bunch of makeup every time. My skin isn't really oily, it was just the makeup I was using. I had tried many kinds.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:10 PM   #7
(female)

BoardBabe HB User

I might try out that Jane I. makeup to see how that works.

My skin is oily but when I use bare minerals the powder absorbs all the oil TOO MUCH so that it is very dry and does not look like natural healthy skin.

I use thick concealer sparingly then apply the powder over it. The liquidy foundation is HELL and I will never use that stuff again, makes the skin oily and smears and looks artificial and yucky. The concealer, I can't find one to match my skin tone exactly so it always looks unnatural. I have very white skin but there are some areas that are red or a little scarring and not even, so I have to use makeup to cover it all up. Some people wear a lot of makeup and it just looks flawless and freshly applied the whole day. That's what I am dying to know how they do. Others don't wear makeup, but their skin looks very health and eventoned, not sure how to do that either.

When I exfoliate then wear makeup, the pores are open and I end up getting clogged pores or blackheads, but the first day after the exfoliation before those side-effects kick in is when my makeup looks the best...

Old 01-26-2006, 07:02 PM   #8
(female)

nailchick2000 HB User

I didn't like bare minerals. I'm using MAC Tech foundation and MAC fix powder right now.. I really like it but I do have a dark patch on my cheek that it doesnt quite conceal.. but I love the way that it stays "just put on fresh" all day and how it perfectly matches my jawline.. no mask look.
But my friend.. she is beautiful.. always looks perfect.. uses Merle Norman. She says that she has lots of freckles underneath, but none of us believe her.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:14 PM   #9
(female)

BoardBabe HB User

I will try those brands too.
I've heard celebrities get makeup formulated to personalize their exact skin shade, also that some use mist sprays that thinly but completely cover their face to look natural and stay on long. I've never seen a celebrity without flawless skin or makeup!

Old 01-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

Alot of celebrities have their makeup air brushed on. I was watching look alike. It's a show where they make people who resemble a celebrity look like them and dress them like they do. I watched this lady have her makeup air brushed on. She had bad acne scars and red spots. Wow, the difference it made! You couldn't even tell she had problem skin. Her skin looked completely flawless! They also airbrush on a bronzer. Alot of models have this done before a picture shoot. They do this to cover cellulite and stretch marks too. You could get an airbrush kit and some liquid makeup to go in the gun and start practicing. They just use a regular airbrush gun to do it. There is a special makeup they use to go in the gun though. I'm not sure where to get the makeup. I'm sure you could find it online somewhere. Practice makes perfect!!

Old 01-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #11
(female)

BoardBabe HB User

oooh thnx for the juicy info! that's what i'm talking about!

Old 01-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User

I just tried a new one a couple of days ago, and I really like it. It's by L'oreal and it's called Infallible. It's very smooth and covers well. Plus it has sunscreen in it. I found it at Fred Meyer on sale for $7.99, plus there was a $2 off coupon. Can't beat that!

Mommaoftwinsplus1

Old 01-29-2006, 09:35 AM   #13
(female)

jjwdean HB User

Love Bare Minerals for my problematic skin. There's so many different types of BM that take care of different skin problems like Bisque for concealing, True Radiance for a little bit of a color and glow, and of course the foundations and mineral veil which are true staples. My sister loves MAC and I use it occasionally too, but very thinly, because it can get thick on the skin really quickly, and I think it might make me break out a bit even though it claims to be noncomedogenic.

DIOR- by far the best makeup EVER!!!!! It is worth the high price... I regularly use Dior Skinflash for undereye circles and Diorshow mascara. Absolutely the best.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:52 PM   #14
(female)

ab1 HB User

I realize you have had bad experiences with Clinique, but I was wondering if you had tried their Superfit makeup. It is by far my favorite. I just use a little at a time combined with a slightly lighter concealer under my eyes and set with Loreal Hydra Perfect powder, and it makes my skin look flawless. It is about $20 and lasts a lasts awhile. I also think it has a lot to do with the moisturizer you use. I am in LOVE with Estee Lauder HydraComplete moisturizer! It is simply amazing!!!

Old 01-31-2006, 10:42 PM   #15
(female)

cagedbird HB User

I'm 56 and look about 40,with or without makeup. Over the years i've tried them all,and nothing IMO looks as flawless and last so long as OutLast by cover girl. And best part is i'm not spending a fortune on makeup. It really outlast anything i have ever used.

cagedbird~

Closed Thread