It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2006, 06:29 AM   #1
(female)

Kanga HB User
Question looking for a good lip balm...

I typically only wear lip balms/gloss (no lipstick). My problem is... my lips have recently become extremely chapped, even moreso at the corners of my mouth. Almost every lip balm I have is either too waxy or it turns into white goo after an hour or so... like a layer of film on top of my lips. Any suggestions... anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:15 AM   #2
(female)

Rosie100 HB User
Re: looking for a good lip balm...

blistex is good for chapped lips and coldsores but as for a lip balm in general, i think you cant beat good old vaseline!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
(female)

seo HB User

I have the same problem with horribly chapped lips and I only use homemade lip balm now- it seems to "soak in" better than anything in stores. It truly heals your lips instead of just a quick fix for chapped lips. Plus, you can read all of the ingredients and they're all natural (or should be! Don't buy unless they are) I purchase from various homemade websites you can find by searching, and have recently started making my own. Really easy- just beeswax and other various oils from your local grocery store along with a microwave! If you'd like a recipe, just let me know, or you can search that too.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Can I get the recipe for the homemade lip balm? And also.. how much do the ingredients cost? I'm guessing whatever you buy will last a while.

Carmex can be good.. but it seems like if I use it for a long period of time my lips get used to it and it doesn't work as well. I tend to switch off on products since this usually happens to me for some reason. I was using cherry chapstick, tried strawberry chapstick and I like it better! I don't know why.. it just seems like it feels less waxy on my lips. I also got some chapsticks that support breast cancer and I like those too!

I agree.. Vaseline DOES work well! Just doesn't taste good , haha. Also, another random thing I tried was shea butter. I got a little mini size of it at Walmart (which has TONS for a lip balm). It's by Palmer's. It moisturizes really well without feeling weird on the lips.. and works great on the body too! It's like $1 or something like that, so really cheap!

Old 02-21-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
(female)

zephyrqueen HB User

I have the same problem. The dry lips and the later on buildup. Blistex has a new rollon one. It works pretty good. It also smells and tastes good too. Qtica makes a really awesome one but I get that build up with that later on. ..but it works really GREAT!! It also lasts a long time because a little bit goes a long way.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:12 AM   #6
(female)

seo HB User

Here are a few of my favorite recipies for lip balm. Again, you can totally just search the internet for recipies if you want to get creative. I purchase all of my supplies on ebay mostly- about $20 for 100 empty tubes and about $7 for a pound of beeswax which will last you the rest of your life! Everything else can be found at your local Wal-Mart or grocery. Also, I add flavoring to mine to make it taste better and I get that at the Mart as well, it's candy flavoring! I picked mine up on clearance for $.50 for 2 bottles that would make a bunch of lip balm, but regular price is only $1.50 for a two pack. If you want smaller quantities of beeswax and tubes, it really is fairly cheap to make it. Good luck! I'd offer to send you some of mine to try but I'm not sure if that's allowed on this board so I'd better not! Sorry!

To make the following homemade lip balm recipes, melt beeswax and oil in microwave or double boiler, add other ingredients and pour into attractive containers. Let sit for 48 hours allowing time to set before use.

CAUTION: Your oil and beeswax will get extremely hot. DO NOT BOIL!! If it starts boiling, then cut heat source off and allow it to cool before handling it.

Honey Lip Balm
Ingredients:
4 oz extra virgin olive oil
3 oz beeswax
1/2 vitamin E capsule
1 oz honey

Cocoa Butter Bliss
Ingredients:
4 oz extra virgin olive oil
3 oz cocoa butter
1 ox beeswax
1/2 vitamin E capsule

Cleopatra Milk Haven Lip Balm Blast- Not tried this one but it looks good!
Ingredients:
8 oz extra virgin olive oil
2 oz beeswax
4 oz cocoa butter
1/2 vitamin E capsule
1/2 teaspoon cream
1/2 teaspoon honey

Old 02-21-2006, 08:54 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

BluEyez1031 HB User

I love Burt's Beeswax lip balm, and Carmex works great as well. Using Vitamin A&D ointment works too.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:56 AM   #8
(female)

violetabyss HB User

Satin Lips by Mary Kay.
Its cheap.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ravaemarie HB User

I agree with Violetabyss, the Mary Kay Satin Lips works awesome!!!

Old 02-22-2006, 05:09 AM   #10
(female)

Saybrook HB User

I seem to get that "film" or layer of stuff on my lips too. Does anyone know what causes it?

Old 02-23-2006, 08:18 AM   #11
(female)

mediamom HB User

I just found awesome new lipbalms---as I also hate waxy ones and my lips are constantly dry (all year). Aromaleigh cosmetics just came out with a line that smell heavenly and are somewhat glossy and incredibly soothing. Great flavors like cocoa rasberry and creamsicle and many more. I did the 2 for 3 special and keep one in my purse, one on my desk and one by my bed! I always used vaseline or Aquaphor but these are less gooey and thick and greasy and the flavor/odor is so terrific. Only downside is you have to order them on-line---but personally i think they're worth it. Drugstore brands like Blistex and Carmex and Chapstick really don't compare (I've tried them ALL!!!)

Old 02-25-2006, 04:48 PM   #12
(female)

Browneyegoddess HB User

I have the new Blistex Lip Fusion too and it really is nice. My friends always borrow it. I have that problem to and I use like three glosses and chaptsicks at once on my lips. Chapped lips sometimes are the result of not drinking enough water.

Closed Thread