It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2006, 07:28 PM   #31
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User
Re: Beauty Secrets???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophiaM
How do you use the baking soda to remove buildup? Do you just rub your scalp with it, add it to your shampoo, or how?
Add it to shampoo.

It dries the crap outta hair though...and it must take out bleach because the two times I've used it, I smelled bleach in the shower.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:47 PM   #32
(female)

nisam78 HB User

As far as drying out...so does clarifying shampoo. You should only use the baking soda maybe once a week. I don't even use that often. Only when I notice that my normal shampoo doesn't seem to be working. I don't wash my hair everyday. I wash every third day. When my hair gets greasy by the second day of not washing, I know it's time to use the baking soda. That is usually about once or twice a month. Any more than that and it will definitly dry your hair out. Maybe use a nice deep conditioner treatment after.
My friend has very oily hair and it works wonders on her hair. My hair is curly and usually dry so that is why I only use it when I really need it.
I'm not really sure what you mean about taking out the bleach.....Do you mean when your hair is bleached to lighten? As far as I know, bleach cannot be rinsed out. I'm not sure the effect of baking soda on hair dye.
So if you do want to try it....I just usually put baking soda in a shallow bowl and add some warm water to make it a paste. Don't massage it thru all your hair...it will definitly make your hair dry. Rub into your scalp only. I massage it in for a min or two and rinse. Then follow with a nice thick conditioner.
I use baking soda on my teeth too. Tastes kinda gross. but works good to whiten. I've read to use it as a body scrub too but haven't tried that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2006, 10:37 PM   #33
Inactive
(female)

nc63 HB User
Baby Shampoo... may want to rethink that one.

Baby shampoo has a chemical in it that is intended to numb the eyes so that when the soapy water gets into the baby's eyes they won't sting because they are chemicaly numb, especially in the "no more tears" brand. You may be damaging you eyes with continued use because of the chemical. Be careful.

Old 03-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #34
Inactive
(female)

VAUXHALL OMEGA HB User

A brilliant way of stripping old build up of gels hair products etc, is lemon washing up liquid! you would think this would be very drying, but my hair comes out really really shiney, really surprised! but I only use this every few weeks though to get rid of build up of products that dull the hair!

Another tip is to use vasaline on eyelashes at night to condition and lengthen, great for going to bed with, without having to wake up with mascara on pillow etc.

Also I use gel on my eyebrows to keep them in place.

Regarding original post, I hear that you can now get eyelash extensions!!!

Old 03-19-2006, 06:38 PM   #35
Veteran
(female)

caliente HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAUXHALL OMEGA
Also I use gel on my eyebrows to keep them in place.
yeah, i spritz hairspray on an eyebrow brush and brush my eyebrows lightly. keeps them in place very well, considering that i may have gotten my grandpa's unruly eyebrows LOL

Old 03-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #36
(female)

ali_moran HB User

I've been using Bare Minerals for about a week now. At first my face was itching. I started using a gentle scrub on my face in the morning before I applied my makeup. No more itching!! It works great!!

I tried that eyelash blow drying thing!! Works great!!!
Thanks for the tip!!

Old 03-22-2006, 09:52 AM   #37

psabrina28 HB User
Cool Re: Beauty Secrets???

I have naturally thick, dark, curled and long eyelashes. I put Castor oil on them every night, I don't need to blow dry them or anything goofy like that. I can use ANY kind of mascara and my eyelashes will look long, thick and have an awesome curve! I have thick, soft, very healthy and fast growing hair, I use coconut oil every other night, I had a haircut 4 months ago, I had it chopped off an inch or so above my bra strap, now it's past my waist line. At 30 people still tell me I have gorgeous hair and eyelashes.

Last edited by psabrina28; 03-22-2006 at 09:59 AM. Reason: add more info

Old 03-22-2006, 06:42 PM   #38
Veteran
(female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

wow....12" of hairgrowth in only 4 months...that is 3" a month....hairgrowth is generally about 1/2" per month for most people........

Old 03-23-2006, 09:59 PM   #39
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psabrina28
I have naturally thick, dark, curled and long eyelashes. I put Castor oil on them every night, I don't need to blow dry them or anything goofy like that. I can use ANY kind of mascara and my eyelashes will look long, thick and have an awesome curve! I have thick, soft, very healthy and fast growing hair, I use coconut oil every other night, I had a haircut 4 months ago, I had it chopped off an inch or so above my bra strap, now it's past my waist line. At 30 people still tell me I have gorgeous hair and eyelashes.
Wow! You need to write the guiness world book of records because the fastest hair growth on record is only approximately 1.5 inches per month.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #40
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psabrina28
People STILL tell you that, even at an advanced age of 30? Unbelievable!

But seriously, your gorgeous hair and eyelashes are largely due to genetics rather than the oils you apply. I have naturally fine, blonde hair, and my eyelashes are long but also fine--it's also genetically determined. I don't think putting cocunut oil on my hair would make it any thicker--just more oily, probably. You are lucky to have such thick hair!

Old 03-24-2006, 11:06 AM   #41

psabrina28 HB User

I'm telling you, the East Indian secret of using warm coconut oil with make your hair grow. My mother used to oil my hair when I was a kid, so I have had coconut oil in my hair every other day for about 28 years. Don't put too much oil and make sure you really massage it into the scalp. The good thing about this is it will help you sleep better. Maybe my hair naturally is dry so it doesn't get oily when i use coconut oil. There is another thing, Ojon makes an awesome hair restorative treatment. I hope this tip helps someone. I know there are plenty of people with dry hair out there!!

I grew up in East Africa, I am East Indian, I know a lot of the Indians there including myself used to drink the coconut water, it's not milk...you go to the beach and the dude climbs on the palm tree, plucks a coconut and cuts it open. The water inside is sweet and very refreshing. That was really good for the hair too. Oh, how I miss my paradise *sigh*

Last edited by psabrina28; 03-24-2006 at 07:16 PM. Reason: typo

Old 03-25-2006, 04:54 PM   #42
(female)

Katy5 HB User

I have naturally long lashes but tried blow drying my eyelashes this morning and the difference was AMAZING! When I walked downstairs the first thing my mom asked me was if I had fake eyelashes on because they looked so good.

My secrets are:

1. Shave legs and bikini area with conditioner, it makes them incredibly smooth and ZERO razor bumps in the bikini area. I usually use really cheap stuff like Suave (I got a huge bottle of it for $1.05 at Wal Mart)
2. Use Tamanu Oil in my hair. I also use it on my skin as a great moisturizer and it works really, really well with helping with acne and acne scars. But when I use it in my hair it makes it shine, shine, shine.
3. Lastly, I have naturally curly hair but when I put mousse in it and go about my day in the morning the curls lose their bounce and turn very flat by nighttime. So, I take a shower the previous night and just saturate my hair in mousse then without brushing or anything pull my hair back into a high bun on my head. I leave it that way until I'm ready to go out the next day, and when you take your hair down it's like curl city and it lasts allll night long.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:37 PM   #43
Veteran
(female)

caliente HB User

i dont know if this will work for everybody, but its definitely one of my newer beauty secrets.

there's a new product on the market called John Freida's Luminous Glaze. its meant to play up your hair color and add shine. the first time i used it, i noticed that it left my hair feeling very coated after i rinsed it out. i didnt like the feeling, BUT... after towel drying and combing my hair, i barely scrunched it and all of my natural waves came out beautifully! and when it air dried, i had NO FRIZZ. it brought out the most perfectly defined waves and curls i have ever seen in my hair. so i slept on it, and the next morning all i did was stick my head in the sink to get my hair wet, towel dried, combed, scrunched a little, and voila! perfect waves and curls again. so easy, and i didnt have to use any other products. now, every time i want to go for that beachy, wavy look i'll just reach for my bottle of glaze in the shower.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:35 AM   #44

ClashingTaco HB User

I usually use salt or sugar mixed with body wash as an all over body exfoliatior in the shower. It works great for me and it's cheap.

Before bed I usually put vasaline on my lips so when I wake up they're super smooth. If there's any other spots that are kinda dry I put some there too.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:50 AM   #45
(female)

Lauralouise HB User

I tried blowdrying my eyelashes the other day and it didn't seem to do anything. Am i doing something wrong? Is there a specific way to do it? cos it doesn't seem to work for me

Closed Thread