It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2006, 10:33 PM   #61
(female)

SilverRoses HB User
Re: Beauty Secrets???

About the eyelash thing again, Ill agree that if you do it repeatedly it does work better and look more natural, thats the way Ive been doing it, and warming the curler with your blowdryer also helps as well. When I tried the blowdrying trick I used maybellines great lash and mary kays lengthing on the other and maybe there was just a slight different between the two, but still didnt work for me. Maybe Ill try what the others are mentioning, but I found another trick, put clear mascara on, blowdry them (optional), curl them with the eyelash curler, then put regular mascara on. I think it helps a bit, it worked best when I blowdried them even though blowdrying alone still didnt curl them but it helps when I used the eyelash curler.

Last edited by SilverRoses; 04-09-2006 at 10:35 PM.

Old 04-11-2006, 07:48 AM   #62
(female)

Chloe.Roma HB User

I tried the mascara/blowdryer trick last night and it worked perfectly. I love it! I always had a problem trying to curl them with a eyelash curler, so this is great.
I also tried the asprin mask/scrub. I tried it as a scrub and afterwards my face felt so smooth. So I will see how that goes.
Another secret in Hollywood is to put Visine eye drops in your liquid make-up. It help counter the red patches in your face.

Last edited by Chloe.Roma; 04-11-2006 at 12:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #63
(female)

Girl1984 HB User

Just a few wee points first... about putting vaseline on eyelashes- it's great for the actual lash but unlike what the other person said you should never put it round the actual skin of your eye. The skin is too delicate to take something as heavy as vaseline. Plus with regards to the white nail polish under your nails... you can get a great pencil thing which kind of colours in the underside of the nail making it really white. It's just less messy than the nail polish.

I've got combination skin and the best thing to do is leave your moisturiser to set in for at least 20 mins before applying foundation. The moisturiser will even out your skin and stop the make up from just slidding down your face

Old 04-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #64
(female)

DaisyAlba HB User

My hairdresser suggested I wash my hair with washing up liquid once or twice a month. It really does cleanse the hair and remove the build-up. Plus she suggested that instead of spend a lot of money on hair products, (I'm a student and therefore always skint!!) she said to use cheap own brand shampoo then invest in a good conditioner. I use super market's own then V05 conditioner and my hair has never been in better condition. I used to spend a lot on curl calming stuff to straightnen my hair but this works better than any £30 bottle of salon stuff I've ever bought!! (and I've tried them all... I believe what the adverts say)

To those who mentioned the asprin mask... I tried it for the 1st time last night. I had a threatened breakout coming up on my chin and today I can hardly see it.... THANK YOU!!!! xx

Old 04-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #65
Inactive

lindanm HB User
Smile Re: Beauty Secrets???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyAlba
My hairdresser suggested I wash my hair with washing up liquid once or twice a month. It really does cleanse the hair and remove the build-up.
I just want to warn people who might think of trying this, that I don't think the dishwashing liquid in the U.S. is not the same as washing up liquid used in the U.K. They don't tend to rinse the soap off of dishes after washing in the U.K.

I tried that at home and it leaves a nasty sticky residue. So there might be harsher, and definitely stickier stuff in our dishwashing liquid.

I also know never to wash your labrador retriever with it. It's not good for them, but it also takes forever to get all that suds out of them. And labs don't like to stand still that long.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #66
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl1984
Plus with regards to the white nail polish under your nails... you can get a great pencil thing which kind of colours in the underside of the nail making it really white. It's just less messy than the nail polish.

I got a nail whitening pencil from Avon for that but it didn't work very well.But it's actually what gave me the idea to just use white polish instead so
Do you know of any good brands of nail pencils other than Avon's?

Old 04-14-2006, 07:32 AM   #67
(female)

SilverRoses HB User

Walmart has Rimmel, and about the curling lashes with the blowdryer thing, I just heard that curling mascara should help with that, and got a recommendation about the curling mascara from lancome, I will try it later because I just bought new mascara and hate wasting stuff.

Last edited by SilverRoses; 04-14-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #68
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

I usually wait about 3 months before I use a new mascara. It is always so thin. After it sits for a couple months it thickens up some. Then all you need is one coat.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:53 AM   #69
(female)

shlindz HB User

I love the blow-drying tip. It really worked for my limp lashes. I'v got a couple more tips for people and I hope they really help.

1- Use an oil-free moisturizer with spf everyday after you wash. It will help to stop any over drying from cleansers. I like to moisturize my face and then apply a thin layer of oil-free foundation. It mixes with the moisturizer and blends better with your skin. You don't get any defined lines and it makes your skin look so smooth. Then if I have any acne to hide, I put a little foundation on my finger and let it dry a bit so it thickens. Then I put it on the acne and blend it in. It really helps cover it up. I always finish my face with a little powder matching my foundation and then a small bit of blush all over to add colour. It will seal your foundation and make it last longer. Use a really big brush for all over blush and then define cheekbones with an angled brush.

2- Vaseline makes an excellent makeup remover. It gets rid of those unsitely racoon eyes. Just rub on and then take off with toilet paper or a towel. It doesn't harm your eyes as long as you don't scrub them, just rub lightly.

3- To make eye shadow stand out better use a neutral eye liner pencil underneath. I like to wear pink colours on my eyes cause it really brings out the blue. So I start with a thick light pink pencil on my lids. Smooth it out with your finger. Then I use a darker pink lip liner on the outside edge to define my eye (I don't like to use black). Then rub a little of the lighter colour on your finger and rub a little to the area under your eyebrow (not too thick hear). Now you can cover the sticky liner with shadow and it will set and stay longer. The colours will also be more defined. Start with the darker shadow and cover the darker liner. Then take a medium colour and cover over the whole eye lid to blend with the darker colour. Now take a really light colour and cover the area under the eyebrows and under your bottom lashes. It will really brighten your eyes and make them "pop". I'v only used done this with light colours like pink and blue, so I don't know if it works for dark colours. But it's worth a try. Just remember less is more, so keep it light. A small angled brush works well to apply the shadow right where you want it. You always want to go light innner eye to darker outer eye.

4- I always use any masks after the shower. Because the warm water opens your pores and allows the mask to get in deeper. I also always wash my face after the shower with a mild soap because conditioner can really do an oily number to your skin. Even if your face seems clean, and gentle cleanser will get rid of any conditioner residue left on your forhead. Colder water does rinse conditioner better and decreases the amount of buildup.

These are all the tips I can think of right now. If I remember some more I'll definately add them.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:45 AM   #70
(female)

Hell Camino HB User

Thank you to whoever posted the correct way to use a eyelash curler. I just tried it and I noticed a subtle, but much better difference.

Here's mine (not as cool as the eyelash/blowdryer thing):

I use Campho Phenique to get rid of zits. It works only if you get it before it reaches the surface. Great for those nasty ones that you get on your nose that you can feel, but can't quite see yet. You get it at Wal-Mart or pharmacy places like Walgreens. Works like dream.

I like to get those cheap hair bands by goody and push it to the back of my head, then let it sit for about 15-20 min. It holds back my hair while I get my make-up on and gives my hair a noticable amount of volume. The old school hair bands that look like a comb work even better.

I like to wipe off the wand of my mascara before I put any on. It declumps it and makes it look less messy. I usually just use a post-it or piece of paper to do this. However, I have no idea if this might interfere with the cool blowdrying suggestion.

I also use post-its or a piece of paper to soak up excess oil from my face. Works just as good as the little paper things that you can buy. Weirdly enough, it doesn't wipe of your make-up much at all.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:00 AM   #71
Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Camino
I like to get those cheap hair bands by goody and push it to the back of my head, then let it sit for about 15-20 min. It holds back my hair while I get my make-up on and gives my hair a noticable amount of volume. The old school hair bands that look like a comb work even better.
I do that. Or put it up in barrettes ala Elaine on friends. If I know I'm going out that night, I wear barrettes all day. This is helpful when your hair is oily because it means you keep your hands out of it all day and it stays cleaner looking.

And for those looking for Rimmel - they sell it at Walgreens as well.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:31 AM   #72
(female)

Hell Camino HB User

Usually when I do that, I get a really weird indention in my hair, like when you take down your hair after having a ponytail in it. But maybe I put too much hair the barrette or leave it in too long? I'll have to try that again, right this time.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #73
Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Camino
Usually when I do that, I get a really weird indention in my hair, like when you take down your hair after having a ponytail in it. But maybe I put too much hair the barrette or leave it in too long? I'll have to try that again, right this time.
Well, my hair is a little bit wavy and I have cowlicks around my face, so maybe the kinks blend into the waves. But, I twist the hair as I pull it back and clamp the barrette or bobby pin on top of the twist otherwise, all the hairs would slip out of the barrettes. So maybe that helps.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:49 AM   #74
Inactive

lindanm HB User

Concealer tip:

I bought those Revlon skinlight light reflecting concealers because I had read that they were the best for under eye circles. Well, it seemed to me that they just emphasized the difference between the skin under my eyes and my cheeks.

But what I found they are great for is hiding other shadows. If you have that frowny line down from the sides of your mouth from having chubby cheeks, dot a little of this on the line and it disappears from most angles.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:34 AM   #75
(female)

davina HB User

if you have a power shower use a higher setting to rinse off your conditioner. your hair will feel extra clean, it'll be shiny and look generally healthy (not to mention it'll make the entire process so much quicker...)

Closed Thread