My daughters and I all have long curly hair. It has taken me forever to get it long and, still I keep it somewhat layered on the sides, so I can have shape and get it thinned out where needed (or it's a bush.) But, all 3 of us constantly get compliments on our hair.
I agree that the shampoo and conditioner should be moisturizing. I have tried a ton of different ones, but I like Nexxus, if you can get it. Just don't use anything too harsh (like Prell or the cheap stuff), as it just strips you hair. Look for something that says it's pH balanaced and nourishing.
The next steps are the most important:
1) I towel off lightly, pick it through once, roots to ends, and spray in HEMPZ leave-in Detangler.
2) I equally mix two kinds of gel
that give my curly locks great ringlets, not sticky or wet looking: Pravana Curl Enhancer Gel and Lanza Volume Bodifying Liquid.
You have to get these thru a salon.
3) I try to let it half air dry for a bit to cut way down on frizziness.
4) I use a soft sock/mesh sort of diffuser over my blow dryer, so I can lift the crown and scrunch the sides and bottom.
5) I think this is the most important part - when the hair is dry, I plop a nickel size amount of FRIZZ-EASE Secret Weapon Flawless Finishing Creme
into my palm, smear it around and lightly go over all my hair with the creme, scrunching it in as I go. It TOTALLY takes away the frizzy or fuzzy hair that drying caused. It looks shiny, great, in control and smells good. Comes in a tube and you can get it anywhere $5-6. My girls and I carry it most places for a touch up at work or wherever, when my hair starts whacking out as the day goes on!
Good Luck and I hope you can find these and try them out!